Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese tourists

Japanese tourists

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Japanese tourists

Postby gfunk » Fri 02.15.2008 11:00 pm

So this group of 3 japanese students from hiroshima just came to my college. Two of them are my penpals from class so I kinda know them. I'm taking them out on thursday but I really don't know where we should go! I mean I tryed asking them but they're too nice and they just say "anywhere would be ok".

So it's kind of a stupid question but maybe one of you knows what a japanese student would find interesting to do in an american city?

Thanks!
gfunk

RE: Japanese tourists

Postby richvh » Fri 02.15.2008 11:43 pm

Museums? Restaurants? Anything different from what they'd see at home.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Chris Hart » Fri 02.15.2008 11:54 pm

Of everyone on this forum, YOU are the expert on the tourist attractions in YOUR AREA. If you aren't sure what there is, you can almost certainly find info from your local tourism bureau. Everywhere has some type of tourist attraction.

Around here, if it were summer, a trip to Cedar Point would probably be neccessary, even though it's an hour drive.

Edit to add emphasis
Last edited by Chris Hart on Fri 02.15.2008 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby gfunk » Fri 02.15.2008 11:55 pm

Haha I wish that was true... I just moved here from spain, so I'm not really an expert. I was just wondering if something random would come up like "they'd get amazed at shopping malls" or "japanese students dream of going to an american club". But I guess we'll just do something touristy.

Oh and thanks rich... so I guess taking them to a sushi bar is out of the question :D

Edited to add an explanation ;)
Last edited by gfunk on Sat 02.16.2008 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
gfunk

Postby richvh » Sat 02.16.2008 12:02 am

Let's put it this way... If you went to Hiroshima, would you want them to show you the local McDonalds or KFC? You'd probably rather see Peace Park or Hiroshima Castle.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby gfunk » Sat 02.16.2008 12:14 am

Yeah I agree. I guess it's easy to start viewing tourist attractions as monotonous locations.

And also... the US is so composed of "a little bit of everywhere" that's it's hard to imagine something that can give a real american experience. Like eating apple pie in a baseball field that's painted red white and blue with country music playing in the background. It's hard to get things like that nowadays. haha.
gfunk

Postby keatonatron » Sat 02.16.2008 9:38 am

Shopping and restaurants would be great. Show them an American shopping mall and they'll be entertained for hours.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Sat 02.16.2008 10:16 am

where in Arizona do you live? If possible, take them to tombstone, or any other area with "wild west" or "old west" gunslinger history. How about the Grand Canyon.
[url]
http://www.go-arizona.com/topicResults. ... ttractions[/url]

It has been a few years since I visited Arizona. the last time unfortunately was to put my Grandmother to rest. The time before that I was stationed in Fort Hauchuca which is about 30 mins from Nogales Mexico.

Depending where in the state you live will also dictate where you want to go. Anyways, I hope you can use that website to at least see what is local and then make a better decision. ARizona is steeped in American History, particularly between the US and Mexico and Native American Indians. You should be able to keep yourself busy with even just a few suggestions.
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Sun 02.17.2008 12:04 am

But first make sure your friends are interested in history :D

Many Japanese people I know are interested in the modern American way of life. Rather than seeing natural wonders or stiff museums, they'd love to just observe the way Americans live their everyday lives; what kind of foods they eat (where they eat them, in what what type of atmosphere), what kind of clothes and other products they buy (Show them your Edwin Jeans and tell them Edwin is popular in America!), what American movie theaters are like (how cheap they are compared to Japan, how the audience reacts differently), etc.

Of course you don't want to just make them watch you watch TV in your underwear, but you don't have to think "What will Japanese people like???". Just show them what you do normally whenever you go out to have fun.
keatonatron

Postby gfunk » Sun 02.17.2008 1:44 am

Good idea "two heads", I'll check the websites and all the wild west style spots. But the school is already taking them there. I live in Phoenix which is pretty metropolis-like... well more like a metropolis wannabe.

Oh and thanks keatonatron, I actually need some shoes, so a visit to the mall could be a good idea. :)

Well thanks a lot guys, I'll let you know what I ended up doing.
gfunk

Postby Hatori » Sun 02.17.2008 2:05 pm

Ask the people themselves. Duh! :p
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby chikara » Sun 02.17.2008 9:13 pm

gfunk wrote:
..... I tryed asking them but they're too nice and they just say "anywhere would be ok"....

Hatori wrote:
Ask the people themselves. Duh! :p

Read the thread before you post, Duh! ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan