Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Super bowl.

Super bowl.

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Super bowl.

Postby prep_girl_Nessa » Sat 02.09.2008 10:11 pm

guitarplayer7694 wrote:
I personally am a fan of the Ravens but I was rooting for NY during the super bowl because I wanted to see the pats' record tarnished.

Haha nice. Steelers are obviously number one in my heart, but the Pats are simply one of the best teams in the history of the NFL it would have been nice to see them go undefeated. (Although they aren't the best, that would be the '79 Steelers xP)

But the way Eli played, I was glad he won. He definitely earned it.
Last edited by prep_girl_Nessa on Sat 02.09.2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3
prep_girl_Nessa

Postby arbalest71 » Sun 02.10.2008 12:06 am

sikago wrote:
all it came down to was the Patriots not attacking the Giants weaknesses for whatever reason.

I think it mostly came down to Brady getting the *censored* knocked out of him, over and over. He stood up to it really well (witness his last scoring drive), but it kept him from doing what he does. The Pats offensive line just couldn't stand up to the Giants defense. I would have given Tuck MVP if it were up to me, but defense gets no respect.

I'm a long time Pats fan, with little patience for the johnny-come-latelies. I remember the palpable gloom in the room I was in when the Bears handed them what must be the most humiliating defeat in Superbowl history. I would have liked to see them win the longest perfect season ever, just for the sake of that 14 year old me. But.. I also like underdogs, and that pass Tyree caught against his helmet is in my top two Superbowl plays ever, so... at least it was a good game, and one I will always remember. There are a lot of past Superbowls that are pretty much blank for me, except for the score. And it is just a game. I love me some Pats football, but it isn't 'cause they win or lose... us Pats fans wandered in the desert for a long time. Three wins in a few years is more than we ever hoped for. And they'll be back next year, sans a couple of picks.

That said, the Giants did get lucky. Their defense was dominating, but their offense was definitely Keystone Kops. I mean... both a too many players flag, and a penalty for running down the clock? In the Superbowl? And that catch by Tyree, after what should have been a sack of Manning... that was some 1 in 100 *censored*. And that play turned the game. If they were to play again tomorrow I would be putting money on the Pats.
arbalest71

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 02.11.2008 2:16 pm

chikara wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:
oh, let's not even mention how many different forms of football there are in australia either. ...

Ok, but there are seven different games played in Australia that go under the banner of "football". :p

I was aware of 6.. looks like they added one on me.. that's just incredibly amazing that so many share the same "banner"
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Sun 02.17.2008 11:15 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
I was aware of 6.. looks like they added one on me.. that's just incredibly amazing that so many share the same "banner"

1. Australian Rules Football (Aussie Rules)
2. Rugby League
3. Rugby Union
4. Soccer
5. Touch Football
6. Gaelic Football
7. Gridion (American Football)

In the southern states or the west the word "footy" usually means Aussie Rules but in NSW or QLD it usually means Rugby League.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 02.18.2008 10:00 am

number 5 is the one I wasn't aware of. lol, go figure. And after reading the rules, It seems to be a variant of Aussie rules football but with less "tackling" I am reading that correctly right?
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Mon 02.18.2008 6:37 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
number 5 is the one I wasn't aware of. lol, go figure. And after reading the rules, It seems to be a variant of Aussie rules football but with less "tackling" I am reading that correctly right?

Touch is very close to Rugby League except there is no kicking at all. The tackles are replaced with a "touch". The balls used in Touch are the same balls as used in Rugby League and it is played on the same fields (rectangular). Aussie Rules does not have an "offside rule" unlike Touch, Rugby League, Rugby Union and Soccer and is the only football code played on ovals (cricket grounds) and not a rectangular field.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Previous

Return to General off topic