Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Malfunctioning Satellite

Malfunctioning Satellite

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

Malfunctioning Satellite

Postby coco » Mon 02.18.2008 1:09 pm

I have questions about this news.

The window for shooting down the satellite opens in the next three or four days and remains open for as many as seven or eight days, said Marine Gen.

I wonder what "the window" refers to. At first, I thought "the window" might be a gun battery that has something like a shutter.
Then I looked it up in (on?)Dictioary. com.

6. a period of time regarded as highly favorable for initiating or completing something: Investors have a window of perhaps six months before interest rates rise.

It seems that the definition #6 is an reasonable explanation for the "window".
If so, what does "open(s)" mean?

I take it as:
"Shooting down is prepared in the next three or four days and it will take seven or eight days."
Is this very far from the original?

Any comments (except a political talk) would be much appreciated.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

RE: Malfunctioning Satellite

Postby leergierig » Mon 02.18.2008 1:27 pm

As far as I can tell, your dictionary definition is correct.

"Window" in this context means a "time of opportunity".
In this context "open(s)" means "start/begin".

So when the window "opens", the time frame during which an opportunity exists, starts.

What they are saying is that they will have 7 to 8 days time to shoot down the satellite. But those 7 to 8 days will only start 3 to 4 days from now (probably due to the location of the satellite).

I am not a native speaker of English, but I hope my explanation helps. Maybe someone else could explain it better.

Edit: I drew a time line to explain this better. I hope it makes sense:

[center]Image[/center]

Edit 2: I wrote "satelite" - twice! :o
Last edited by leergierig on Mon 02.18.2008 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leergierig

Postby sei » Mon 02.18.2008 1:27 pm

That's a pretty curious sentence. I was confused at first, but after reading the whole article I think your translation is good. They'll shoot down the satellite in the next 3 or 4 days, and it may take 7 or 8 days to have it fully down. That's how I interpret it.

I'm not sure if you already know the meaning of "open" based on the sentence you came up with. And I can't think of a good way to explain it. It's just part of the metaphor. There's a window of time in which they can accomplish that project and it's open from X to X days, then it will close as time ends... Can't think of anything else to explain it.

Hope that helped a bit. ^^

Edit: Ups, someone answered before I did. I took too long to think of how to say it. =P
Last edited by sei on Mon 02.18.2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby tsumeshogi » Mon 02.18.2008 1:45 pm

Even though I am a native speaker of English, I am not sure which one is correct. :o Usually we would "look up a word in a dictionary" but things are usually posted "on a website", so maybe both are correct.

It seems that the definition #6 is an reasonable explanation for the "window".

Yes this is the correct definition for "window" in this context. The phrase "window of time" is quite common in English. When the "window of time has opened", it means that the favourable period of time has begun. Similarly you can say "window of time has closed" to mean that the favourable period of time has already passed.

"Shooting down is prepared in the next three or four days and it will take seven or eight days."

No, the process of shooting down a satellite will not take 7 or 8 days. (I think such a process would be fairly quick.) The article is saying that the process should be carried out in some time interval between these 7 or 8 days.

The meaning of the following sentence:
The window for shooting down the satellite opens in the next three or four days and remains open for as many as seven or eight days

is:
The best time to shoot down the satellite is between 3 or 4 days from now (i.e. Feb 18) to as long as 7 or 8 days after this (i.e. Feb 25 or 26).
Unfortunately I don't have as much time to learn Japanese as I would like, and therefore I am rather inactive on this forum. Yet I have learnt so much just by reading the "Recent Posts" page every once in a while. I respect those who have taken the time to write up explanations to help others, especially those who have written in a language which is not their native language.
tsumeshogi

Postby sei » Mon 02.18.2008 1:49 pm

Even though I am a native speaker of English, I am not sure which one is correct. Usually we would "look up a word in a dictionary" but things are usually posted "on a website", so maybe both are correct.

"On" sounds better to me, but I can't give a precise explanation to why that is.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby miaumiao » Mon 02.18.2008 1:50 pm

Oh, now I see that it has already been answered by leergierig, but since I wrote something, here is my post:

You could imagine a projected barrier in the sky that only has a limited opening which allows a projectile to accurately reach the satellite in order to destroy or bring it down from its orbit. This limited opening spot will come in 3 to 4 days, after that the shooting can begin. The opportunity to shoot it down will stay for 7 to 8 days. The shooting itself does not take that long; only the time to shoot a rocket up into the sky so it can reach the orbit.

The dictionary definition you found was correct.

I take it as:
Is this very far from the original?

I would say:
“The procedure of shooting it down can only begin three or four days from now and this opportunity will remain for seven or eight days. After that, it won’t be possible to shoot anymore.”

Of course, it may or may not be possible to recalculate a new window for another shoot-up, if this procedure were to be unsuccessful. Though this information was not in the article, as far as I read. It sounded as if this was the last chance to bring the satellite down by force, instead of waiting for it to fall on its own and spread its possibly poisonous parts onto populated areas.

Edited for mistakes.
Last edited by miaumiao on Mon 02.18.2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miaumiao

RE: window of time

Postby coco » Mon 02.18.2008 9:29 pm

leergierig-san, sei-san, tsumeshogi-san, miaumiao-san,
Thank you for all your replies. 
Now, that sentence became very clear to me, for your thoughtful explanations. :)

Let me check if my understanding is getting better or not.
Is the following example correct as a "window of time" usage?

Example:
The window for stealing the cards from his house opens in next 2 hours and remains open for 30 minutes.
coco

Postby chikara » Mon 02.18.2008 9:33 pm

Coco-san, your example is correct.

In this context such a "window" is a "window of opportunity" which is "a short period of time during which an opportunity must be acted on or missed."

Edit: Just read leergierig-san's post in full and see that he has already explained it that way
Last edited by chikara on Mon 02.18.2008 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby richvh » Mon 02.18.2008 9:52 pm

leergierig wrote:

What they are saying is that they will have 7 to 8 days time to shoot down the satellite. But those 7 to 8 days will only start 3 to 4 days from now (probably due to the location of the satellite).

It wouldn't be the position of the satellite - which is orbiting the earth multiple times a day. It's more likely to do with the position and readiness of the ship slated to shoot it down, and the trailing edge of the window may be when it is expected to reenter on its own.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Wakannai » Mon 02.18.2008 11:22 pm

Example:
The window for stealing the cards from his house opens in next 2 hours and remains open for 30 minutes.

In this case, since houses have windows, window could mean a window or a window of opportunity, since the context is stealing you will need to disambiguate--unless you want to deliberately have a double meaning. Here I'd say window of opportunity, because otherwise it could sound like an actual window will be open. Some girls like to leave their window open so their boyfriends can sneak in. That's why sometimes a window of opportunity, is really just an open window :)

If the subject doesn't actually have windows, then you could just say window. You could also use window as a time counter of sorts. There is a 3 hour window...
Last edited by Wakannai on Mon 02.18.2008 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wakannai

Postby chikara » Mon 02.18.2008 11:32 pm

Wakannai wrote:
In this case, since houses have windows, window could mean a window or a window of opportunity, since the context is stealing you will need to disambiguate--unless you want to deliberately have a double meaning. Here I'd say window of opportunity, because otherwise it could sound like an actual window will be open. ....

Good point.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby miaumiao » Tue 02.19.2008 5:23 am

I would like to reinforce Wakannai’s statement. Since the example you gave us involved a house, it is possible to confuse this “window of opportunity” with a real window.

The borrowed meaning for “window of opportunity” might have originated from an actual window. The window itself represents the only access to the inside of a house, other than the door. So if a thief sees an open window, he sees an opportunity to steal something. A window can mean “opportunity” or “opening” and the idea itself can be transferred to other situations.
The “window of time” is a little more abstract and suggests that the opportunity to accomplish something depends on time. As an example, if you know that a bank has its security disabled for 3 minutes, you could theoretically rob this bank within these 3 minutes. Not before and not after that. This gives you a window of 3 minutes.

Other example of a borrowed meaning, which has not specifically to do with the issue, but offers a broad idea of borrowed meanings:

“I need to close the ports on my computer.”

In this sentence, a port refers to a computer port, not an actual port. The borrowed meaning of “port” is the concept of letting goods in or out of the country through a single location. In a computer, there are virtually created openings that allow information to enter or exit the computer, when connected to another computer or network. These are also called ports.
Last edited by miaumiao on Tue 02.19.2008 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
miaumiao

RE: grazing

Postby coco » Tue 02.19.2008 6:56 am

I see. I realize that it's okay to say "window(of opportunity/time) opens" even if an actual window is locked.( It must be very confusing, though.)
Thank you very much, Chikara-san, Rich-san, Wakannai-san, miaumiao-san. :)

Now I'm struggling with "Grazing the satellite".

Grazing the satellite would probably still bring it down quicker and more predictably, he said.

I was wondering if the satellite loves to eat grass.

Does it mean "scratching/scraping the satellite with missiles"(instead of hitting the exact potition)?
Or "Grazing" in this sentence has other meaning?
coco

Postby richvh » Tue 02.19.2008 7:38 am

coco wrote:
I see. I realize that it's okay to say "window(of opportunity/time) opens" even if an actual window is locked.( It must be very confusing, though.)
Thank you very much, Chikara-san, Rich-san, Wakannai-san, miaumiao-san. :)

Now I'm struggling with "Grazing the satellite".

Grazing the satellite would probably still bring it down quicker and more predictably, he said.

I was wondering if the satellite loves to eat grass.

Does it mean "scratching/scraping the satellite with missiles"(instead of hitting the exact potition)?

That's it exactly.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Noob » Tue 02.19.2008 8:01 am

I don't wish to complicate this issue, but, doesn't "Window" have a slightly different meaning when it comes to rockets?
I may be wrong, but i was always under the assumption that rockets ,and shuttles, could only make it through the atmosphere (safely) in certain areas. It is sometimes months before another "window" opens. I believe that it has to do with atmospheric conditions.

This still falls under the "window of opportunity" category, but it is a bit different.

As you can see Cocoさん, we tend to give new meanings to existing words alot. I guess it must be very confusing at times.
A few years ago, the town i live in was grazed by 4 hurricanes in a few months time. The storms did a huge amount of damage to the southeast United States, but did no damage to my town.
Last edited by Noob on Tue 02.19.2008 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noob

Next

Return to 英語の練習