Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese works cited/bibliographies

Japanese works cited/bibliographies

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Japanese works cited/bibliographies

Postby phrekyos » Wed 02.27.2008 2:42 pm

For the first time, I'm writing an essay in Japanese where I need to get sources out of books and web sites, and it got me thinking...

Is there a particular way that Japanese students have to format their works cited sections? Something like the MLA or APA style in the US. My professor didn't say anything about it, but this is college so it's definitely necessary to do (in my opinion). I was going to just format it however I felt like formatting it, but I'm curious if there's a standard way.
phrekyos

Re: Japanese works cited/bibliographies

Postby AJBryant » Wed 02.27.2008 3:47 pm

There is a typical Japanese citation style, but it's irrelevant unless you're writing something *in* Japanese for Japanese end-users. If you're writing in English, follow standard English citations for foreign-language source materials. Turabian, AP, and Chicago stylebooks *all* have citation patterns.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby phrekyos » Thu 02.28.2008 10:21 pm

As I said, I am writing it *in* Japanese.
phrekyos

Postby AJBryant » Fri 02.29.2008 1:14 am

Sorry, I missed that "in Japanese" part.

Well, short of actually typing entries in here, to show you I would have to do exactly what you should do:

A google search for Japanese bibliographies. There *must* be webpages with stylesheets. There are for English biblios.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby phrekyos » Fri 02.29.2008 12:32 pm

Of course I tried that... however I haven't found anything that explains Japanese works cited in English. Since I posted the original message, after wading through a bunch of Japanese web sites (which was a bit difficult at times, for somebody between JLPT3 and 2 level) I think I found what I was looking for. Now I can write a 参考文献.
phrekyos

Return to Japanese General Discussion