Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What's that kanji on the index page.....

What's that kanji on the index page.....

Japanese, general discussion on the language

What's that kanji on the index page.....

Postby Takoyaki » Fri 02.29.2008 4:12 am

In the top of the index page it says next to the logo: 日本語を_こう The closest I could find was this: 麽 which only shows up in Chinese or in ancient Japanese dialect websites... I am sure I know the word, just not the kanji for it.

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.
Takoyaki

Re: What's that kanji on the index page.....

Postby EvanT » Fri 02.29.2008 4:31 am

It says 日本語を磨こう (にほんごを みがこう)
and basically means "Let's polish our Japanese" .
In fact, the kanji as it appears on the logo is the old form of the character. Now it's written with 2 木.
Basically a combination of 麻 and 石.
For etymology I use this site http://www.kanjinetworks.com/. It's a bit technical, but very useful because it often shows ancient forms of the characters.
EvanT

Postby doinkies » Fri 02.29.2008 4:32 am

The word is 磨こう(みがこう), and it is the volitional form of 磨く(みがく) which means "to polish", "to brush (e.g. teeth)", "to improve", etc.

Basically the full slogan means "Brush up your Japanese".
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Native language: English

Postby Takoyaki » Fri 02.29.2008 5:39 am

No wonder I could not find it. Ancient characters, huh. Scary と思います。怖い~よ~ Thanks! :mrgreen:
Takoyaki

Postby EvanT » Fri 02.29.2008 7:25 am

No wonder I could not find it. Ancient characters, huh. Scary と思います。怖い~よ~ Thanks!

What?! Entering that character in every online and not dictionary Chinese AND Japanese produces the same result (in both meaning and pronunciation). Writing the character in IME the way it's written in the logo automatically produces 磨 as the first hit. The character may have ancient origin, but it's widely used in Japan and China today (it's a Jouyou kanji for crying out loud). Don't draw false conclusions without reading posts carefully. I said old form (as in before the post-WW2 orthographical reform) not ancient.

BTW, If you didn't find it in your original search, it was because your search was poor, not because the character is obscure. (hey, that rhymes!) A simple Google search brings up 63,200,000 hits for the character). Try to refine your search methods. There's lots of online dictionary's out there. Make good use of them.
EvanT

Postby Takoyaki » Sat 03.01.2008 6:15 am

That's what I get for talking without thinking enough, (and when I should have been in bed by then).

Let me rephrase it: I did not know the word みがく before, and 麽 is what I searched, not 磨, which is why I only got Chinese and such. One reason I did not find 磨 is because I looked under the wrong radical in the first place. I looked under 麻 and only glanced through 石 too quickly to spot it. Now I see where it is under its radical, and that it is a super commonly used word as well.

I was also half-referring to the ancient kanji in general on the site you referenced as being scary. rather than the kanji 磨 being a scary ancient kanji. I am good at confusing people aren't I? It's a bad habit that I am trying to break. :(

Next time I will try to think more before I speak. :oops: すみませんでした。
Takoyaki

Return to Japanese General Discussion