Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Why do they have wide eyes?

Why do they have wide eyes?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

RE: Why do they have wide eyes?

Postby keatonatron » Fri 03.17.2006 10:46 pm

Eyes barely change size. The head, however, does, so it's a proportion thing.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby alex_2096 » Sun 03.19.2006 1:07 pm

a friend told me anime characters were drawn to be a mix of japanese and aryan races. believing that to be the perfect race. This mixture results in ppl with black hair and big blue eyes. As other artists got involved the black hair changed to more wacky colours etc to bring the fantasy of the anime/manga out..
if i wasnt lazy i'd research this, but maybe hes rite
alex_2096

Postby Shibakoen » Tue 03.21.2006 5:24 pm

Dude, I don't know how many of you guys noticed this, but there are many older Japanese women with weird colored hair (not just Japanese, either, it happens to older women here, too). Anyway, I've seen them with real bright greens and purples and blues. I really doubt that it's because of elderly Sex Pistols fans, too. I've often wondered why it happens since it seems to be a natural thing. I saw one woman on the train the other day who looked about in her 50s with this bright green hair.

Anyway, about the eyes, I've heard that it's because it signifies youth and that look is appealing. Babies and children have big eyes in proportion to their heads because eyes don't grow (at least not much, if at all) as we get older. So, next time you see some Akachan and think "kawaii", well, that's why.

I think more of the point that these questions skirt around is the idea mentioned briefly above, why don't anime characters look "Japanese"? I think they do look Japanese, it's just that when we as foreigners identify a "Japanese look", we think black hair and almond eyes. However, I think that Japanese don't distiguish themselves using these cues so they deviate from the stereotypical look. It's been reported that young children can distiguish and identify more faces than older people because they use more of these identifiers. Thus the common "insert ethnicity here people all look the same to me." Anyway, it's just an idea but when I see "Japanese" anime characters and "Foreign" anime characters drawn next to each other, the Japanese look Japanese (even with big eyes and weird colored hair) and the Foreigners look different.
Last edited by Shibakoen on Tue 03.21.2006 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby Seijiro Hiko » Tue 03.21.2006 5:36 pm

Not to dwelve on the who anime is for issue or anything but....

Anime is not necessarily just kids entertainment although the grand majority of it is. I will grant to Keatonatron that anime like Naruto, pokemon, two-piece etc...was made for kids but there is anime for older age groups like teens and adults.

Example: Berserk - Violence, profanity, and nudity:o. See this and try to tell me that it was made for kids 12 and under. It wasn't it was made for teens and adults.

My point is that just cuz its anime its a kids thing...It depends on the show and who it was targeted for. Anime is open to a wide variety of ages just like any show, series, or hollywood movie would be. (I'm really not trying to fight or argue or anything so let's just be friends):D:D:D:D
Last edited by Seijiro Hiko on Tue 03.21.2006 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seijiro Hiko

Postby alex_2096 » Tue 03.21.2006 6:35 pm

Not to dwelve on the who anime is for issue or anything but....

lmao i think u just did.. and managed not to answer the topic!!

but anyways ive jsut spammed and should be shot dead.
(looks over at daisuke, aiming his rifle)
Last edited by alex_2096 on Tue 03.21.2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alex_2096

Postby Pianogirl123 » Tue 03.21.2006 8:18 pm

You know what i find is really funny... anime characters have huge eyes--yet real japanese people have... japanese eyes

so in realitly the japanese people (and some other east asians) are the people who least physically resemble anime characters, even though anime comes from japan! isn't that wierd?
Pianogirl123

Postby Chris Hart » Sat 07.08.2006 8:45 pm

keatonatron wrote:

You should keep in mind that anime *is* created for children. When you think about what appeals to kids, exxagerated characters with odd hair color is much more attractive. If all the characters looked like real people with normal hair, kids wouldn't watch.

And please don't argue saying anime is for adults. No one over the age of 12 watches Naruto in Japan :D (that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it though!)

Not all anime is created for children. There are several titles aimed either exclusively at an adult audience, or at a very wide audience. For example the Chobits series would have more of an adult target audience. I know the following examples are from the US, but they also fit in this discussion, Futurama and The Simpsons are both created for a wider audience. They have content that is aimed at kids, as well as content that is directed at adults. Usually the content directed for adults in these types of programs is masked in a way that the kids won't even notice that it's there.
Chris Hart

Re: Why do they have wide eyes?

Postby japanfreak » Tue 03.11.2008 9:13 am

Well, the first poster is closer to the truth. Actually, when he started drawing, Tezuka was stuck on the eyes. He didn't want to draw Japanese eyes, so he took inspiration from the Disney movie Bambi and drew huge, doe-like eyes.
japanfreak

Postby AJBryant » Tue 03.11.2008 4:48 pm

japanfreak wrote:Well, the first poster is closer to the truth. Actually, when he started drawing, Tezuka was stuck on the eyes. He didn't want to draw Japanese eyes, so he took inspiration from the Disney movie Bambi and drew huge, doe-like eyes.

BINGO!

We have a winner. :)

Thanks -- I always get amused (and quickly frustrated) by the long litany of theories and supposition behind the "big eye" thing, when the answer is pretty much already on record. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Camui_ » Mon 03.17.2008 9:32 pm

Here is my opinion about this topic:

I believe that I read somewhere, that Japanese people admire how American's eyes are wider. So, anime characters' eyes are wider. I can't pinpoint that as a fact, just something that heard/thought of.

If you notice with Japanese singers, a lot of them get their eyes widened. If you compare a lot of Japanese singer's eyes before they became famous, and then after the fact, you will notice that most have widened their eyes. That is why I believe it is the same with anime. The Japanese admire America, so they may want things to seem more American, at least in the way of looks.
Camui_

Postby japanfreak » Thu 03.20.2008 11:15 am

Camui_ wrote:Here is my opinion about this topic:

I believe that I read somewhere, that Japanese people admire how American's eyes are wider. So, anime characters' eyes are wider. I can't pinpoint that as a fact, just something that heard/thought of.

If you notice with Japanese singers, a lot of them get their eyes widened. If you compare a lot of Japanese singer's eyes before they became famous, and then after the fact, you will notice that most have widened their eyes. That is why I believe it is the same with anime. The Japanese admire America, so they may want things to seem more American, at least in the way of looks.

What???? Have u seen the previous two posts? The answer is right in front of you! Go check out Wikipedia if you want to; it says the same thing.
japanfreak

Previous

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions