Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Guess the difference in these sentences.

Guess the difference in these sentences.

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Guess the difference in these sentences.

Postby Bulgar » Thu 03.13.2008 11:13 am

Hi, all of you. It's been ages since I've come back here.

Anyway, I will write a couple of sentences, and I want you all to guess the difference in meaning between the two.

> 豊田さんはあの店で映画は買わない。
> 豊田さんはあの店では映画を買わない。

Any takers?
だってばよ。
Bulgar
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu 11.24.2005 4:31 pm

Re: Guess the difference in these sentences.

Postby richvh » Thu 03.13.2008 11:57 am

Bulgar wrote:> 豊田さんはあの店で映画は買わない。

Mr. Toyota isn't going to buy a movie at that store (he's going to buy something else.)
> 豊田さんはあの店では映画を買わない。

Mr. Toyota isn't going to buy a movie at that store (he'll buy it somewhere else.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

Re: Guess the difference in these sentences.

Postby Bulgar » Thu 03.13.2008 1:04 pm

richvh wrote:
Bulgar wrote:> 豊田さんはあの店で映画は買わない。

Mr. Toyota isn't going to buy a movie at that store (he's going to buy something else.)
> 豊田さんはあの店では映画を買わない。

Mr. Toyota isn't going to buy a movie at that store (he'll buy it somewhere else.)


Excellent job, richvh! (Still working on Yuki, by the way?)

Also, am I correct in guessing that the particle は followed by a negative verb usually implies a contrast? Consider these two sentences about a person at a concert:

> 幸子は歌手じゃない。
Sachiko isn't a singer (but the people around her are.)

> 幸子が歌手じゃない。
Sachiko isn't a singer. (No meaning beyond that.)
だってばよ。
Bulgar
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu 11.24.2005 4:31 pm

Re: Guess the difference in these sentences.

Postby richvh » Thu 03.13.2008 1:48 pm

Bulgar wrote:Excellent job, richvh! (Still working on Yuki, by the way?)

Off and on. Mostly off lately.

Also, am I correct in guessing that the particle は followed by a negative verb usually implies a contrast? Consider these two sentences about a person at a concert:

> 幸子は歌手じゃない。
Sachiko isn't a singer (but the people around her are.)

Sachiko isn't a singer (she's a different kind of person; there is a contrastive は in the sentence, but it's the one that's been contracted with で; the one after 幸子 is setting the topic)

> 幸子が歌手じゃない。
Sachiko isn't a singer. (No meaning beyond that.)

Sachiko isn't the singer (someone else is; in this case, が is selecting Sachiko out of a group as "not a singer"; this is logically the same as 歌手は幸子じゃない)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm


Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests