Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT-2 Kanji Learning Order

JLPT-2 Kanji Learning Order

The test - experiences, questions or comments

JLPT-2 Kanji Learning Order

Postby spellcasterbr » Mon 03.17.2008 9:14 am

Hi everyone!

I passed the 3-kyuu test about two years ago, but didn't study much since then. For Kanji, I've been using a very basic book by the Japan Foundation that doesn't seem to follow any official order (Jouyou, Kyouiku, JLPT or frequency). As a low-intermediate student that book was very useful to me, since it teaches the most basic characters and radicals in the beginning, and then, uses this prior knowledge to teach you the harder ones (eg: first, it teaches you the kanjis "hi" (day) and "iu" (say) before presenting you the kanji "toki' (time), which uses these two radicals. This book has only 500 kanjis.

Now, I'm aiming for JLPT-2, but I don't know in which order should I study Kanji. I just printed a JLPT-2 kanji list, but they don't seem to be listed in such an order that is as easy to memorize as that book I have. I also bought Jack Halpern's "Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary", which presents a kanji list ordered by frequency of use - the list is nice, but doesn't help in memorizing either.

So, what do you guys recommend me? I'm affraid that if I just stick to the JLPT-2 kanji list, I might just pass the test, but forget the kanjis a few months later. I've been thinking about studying by the Kyouiku kanji list, which looks like ordered by difficulty (I guess).

I passed the JLPT-3 test with no difficulties, but I know that there is a very long road between JLPT-2 and 3.
spellcasterbr

Re: JLPT-2 Kanji Learning Order

Postby chchan45 » Mon 03.17.2008 11:19 am

I strongly recommend books for the Kanji Aptitude Test (http://www.kanken.or.jp/tosyo/gradelist_f.html or google 漢字学習ステップ). They may be a little difficult to start with but do contain loads of exercises and go through a lot of vocabulary. I used those books myself in the past, starting from level 6 and going right up to level 2, and I can tell you that I will never forget what has been drilled into my head. If you are willing to put in the time, you will not regret it.

For JLPT level 2, you should aim to study up to level 5 or level 4.
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 03.17.2008 11:59 am

Level 2 may be beyond the point where you can just memorize kanji from a list. You're probably going to have to try to use a more general book like Intermediate Kanji Book or Kanji in Context. Remember that you also have to make big leaps in your reading comprehension, not just the number of kanji you memorize readings of.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby spellcasterbr » Mon 03.17.2008 3:31 pm

thanks for the info, everyone!

One more question: I like to study things on my own (this is how I passed JLPT-3). Are there any textbooks you recommend for taking this test? Most of the ones I found are written only in japanese. If I had good bilingual materials things would be easier to me.

I've been using "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar" (http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Interm ... 4789007758) besides reading many online learning pages like this one, coscom.co.jp, JGram and kanjistep.com.
spellcasterbr

Postby chchan45 » Thu 03.20.2008 1:00 pm

Living in the UK, I am not aware of any Japanese textbooks written in English (Japanese for Busy People only goes up to about L3) - there simply isn't the market, I suppose. Most of the Japanese books I have seen focus on conversational stuff and they do not even bother teaching you hiragana.

If you can read Chinese, then the series called 中日交流 標準日本語 is very useful (the intermediate level books go up to L2). Note: they do not have lessons on writing.

Another track you can explore is whether the J301 and J501 textbooks have English versions. I know that a Chinese version does exist (but be aware that except in the vocabulary list and grammatical explanations, everything is in Japanese) - you may get lucky with the English version.

Beyond level 2, materials (even in Japanese) are difficult to find.

And since you are learning kanji, I would be remiss in my duties if I fail to mention the books by Heisig. However, be warned that you will open a can of worms - just do a search for Heisig in the forum if you want to know what I mean. Some people claim that it is the best thing since sliced bread, while some say that it is evil and should be cast into the eternal fire in hell. I personally have no opinion because I have not used the books.
Last edited by chchan45 on Fri 03.21.2008 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reading 李香蘭 私の半生

Please note that:
1. English is not my first language.
2. I am not Japanese. I am prone to making mistakes so please point them out if you see any.
chchan45

Postby enji » Thu 03.20.2008 1:38 pm

I have seen the English versions of J301 and J501 in my university's library. So they do certainly exist. Yup, the vocab list and the grammar explanation are in English. I have borrowed J501 a few times but have never went through it (talk about procrastination), and back it went to the library. :oops:
言いたくても言えなくて
enji

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test