Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Everyone--Please test this forum link

Everyone--Please test this forum link

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Re: Everyone--Please test this forum link

Postby Oni » Sat 03.22.2008 1:38 pm

Clay, an idea. Maybe you could disable the right column when viewing the forums, then re-enable it when viewing anything else. That *may* be a simple fix to remove the 'small' box view of the forums.
Oni, defender of noobs. - "Have you hugged a noob lately?"
http://n-one.deviantart.com/art/RAoK-quot-Hug-a-N00B-quot-30686603
Oni

Postby AJBryant » Sat 03.22.2008 2:13 pm

Too much tweaking of stuff that isn't necessary?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Oni » Sat 03.22.2008 2:34 pm

Could be.
Oni, defender of noobs. - "Have you hugged a noob lately?"
http://n-one.deviantart.com/art/RAoK-quot-Hug-a-N00B-quot-30686603
Oni

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sat 03.22.2008 8:54 pm

When I click on an external link in a thread, I go to that site but the right and left margins remain. I would expect to leave TJP entirely if I click on a link to another site.
Gundaetiapo

Postby clayb » Sat 03.22.2008 9:14 pm

Clay, an idea. Maybe you could disable the right column when viewing the forums, then re-enable it when viewing anything else. That *may* be a simple fix to remove the 'small' box view of the forums.

That would require a drupal hack and I'm not sure how to do it. :cry:

When I click on an external link in a thread, I go to that site but the right and left margins remain. I would expect to leave TJP entirely if I click on a link to another site.

That is because the middle part is actually a different page from the outside part. There may be a way to force a new browser with all links. That would probably solve the problem.
clayb
Site Admin

Postby AJBryant » Sat 03.22.2008 9:23 pm

Why do we need to mess around with Drupal anyway? Isn't the forum as a standalone enough, linked to from the front page?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby clayb » Sat 03.22.2008 9:31 pm

I want the site to have a unified look and feel. Also having the site-wide links to all parts of the site (eventually, I hope the video section will take off once fixed up) is more convenient.

Whohoo!!!! I figured out how to do it WITHOUT a hack. You may need to refresh your browser (F5), but the right column is now history for this page.

EDIT: Update-- I just got an email from my developer and he still suggests theming the forums and thinks it wouldn't cost too much. So, the iframe solution will be a solution temporarily until we get the 'real' theme going. It will be my top priority, though.
clayb
Site Admin

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sat 03.22.2008 10:52 pm

clayb wrote:

That is because the middle part is actually a different page from the outside part. There may be a way to force a new browser with all links. That would probably solve the problem.

My Firefox setting forces links to open in the same window regardless.
Gundaetiapo

Postby phreadom » Sun 03.23.2008 1:37 am

Well clay says he's still thinking of going the themed route and so considering this as only temporary, so I'll probably not worry about digging into it too much.

One thing I was going to mention was disabling the horizontal scrollbar completely if it's not needed (so it's not visible at all) and making the vertical scrollbar not show up unless it's necessary. The vertical scrollbar on short pages is only showing up because of a CSS hack in phpbb that's there specifically to make the scrollbar always visible.

Code: Select all
html {
   font-size: 100%;
   /* Always show a scrollbar for short pages - stops the jump when the scrollbar appears. non-IE browsers */
   height: 100%;
   margin-bottom: 1px;
}

The part you want to remove or comment out is the height: 100%; line in the file styles/prosilver/theme/common.css

As for the iframe code to fix the scrollbars, try the following...

<iframe width="98%" scrolling="auto" height="1800" frameborder="no" align="left" marginwidth="0" name="frame1" src="/forum/">

Specifically changing the scrolling="yes" to scrolling="auto" so that the scrollbars will only show if needed, that way if the page isn't too tall or wide, the vertical or horizontal scrollbars respectively won't show and thus the forum will really blend seamlessly into the drupal page.

EDIT: I didn't catch if someone else mentioned this, but checking your private messages kicks you back into the fullscreen forum rather than the framed version. Seems the real solution really is to just work on a unified theme. I have a general idea of how it would be done, but really can't say more without looking at the drupal code.

Bedtime for now. おやすみなさい☆
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby clayb » Sun 03.23.2008 8:38 am

Thanks for the tips!

I tried scrolling=auto, but for some reason it always displayed a scrollbar anyway. I'm not sure.

EDIT: I didn't catch if someone else mentioned this, but checking your private messages kicks you back into the fullscreen forum rather than the framed version. Seems the real solution really is to just work on a unified theme. I have a general idea of how it would be done, but really can't say more without looking at the drupal code.

Yes, that and the fact you can't just get a URL to a specific post anymore. That means search engines can't drive traffic here through the forums. :| So it seems like theming it properly will be the only way.
clayb
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Sun 03.23.2008 12:54 pm

clayb wrote:Thanks for the tips!

I tried scrolling=auto, but for some reason it always displayed a scrollbar anyway. I'm not sure.

Yes, that and the fact you can't just get a URL to a specific post anymore. That means search engines can't drive traffic here through the forums. :| So it seems like theming it properly will be the only way.

Ok, I should clarify... the edits I mention apply to basically everything except Internet Explorer, which merrily continues to ignore standards and sane rendering concepts (even as of Internet Explorer 8 beta 1, although it's getting considerably better to be fair). I've tested this in Firefox 3.0b5pre, Opera 9.5beta1 and Safari 3.1 (your Apple users) and all correctly obey the scrollbar codes (and don't display them unless they're actually needed). IE puts them in no matter what, even if they're not needed.

Just to make sure about this, I just grabbed the code for this page on drupal and made the edit myself... it does indeed get rid of the scrollbars unless they are actually needed (in everything outside of IE).

The CSS I mentioned makes sure that you always have an active vertical scrollbar present, in every browser, no matter what. Hence the comment "non-IE browsers" right there in the CSS.
/* Always show a scrollbar for short pages - stops the jump when the scrollbar appears. non-IE browsers */

While IE will always show faded scrollbars, even if they're not actually needed, essentially every other modern browser out there won't (and correctly so).

That means that even if the page content isn't tall enough to normally need a scrollbar, in all non-IE browsers that line of CSS makes the page tall enough to forcibly cause a scrollbar to be visible. Removing or commenting out that line will cause it to only show a scrollbar if the content actually needs it (again, in all non-IE browsers. IE will sadly always show those faded inactive scrollbars no matter what. *sigh*).

Sorry for forgetting to clarify earlier... I essentially never use IE for browsing unless forced to. :P
I have IE8beta1 installed on here for design testing (which can also render in IE7 Emulation mode, handy for testing).
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby clayb » Sun 03.23.2008 2:54 pm

Well, I think what we have now is good enough until I can get a developer (not sure who yet...) to theme the forums. I have a group working on it but they are not 100% sure they can do it (with the Drupal boxes).
clayb
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Sun 03.23.2008 4:56 pm

True. :)

Hopefully it'll be a moot point soon enough.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby coco » Sun 03.23.2008 11:14 pm

When I want to get back to forum after I made PMs from an user control panel, I click the "Board index"(link). It leads me to http://www.thejapanesepage.com/forum/
( When I find thread URLs, I prefer this page).

I think:
If the link of "Board index" on the user control panel leads us to "node/1661" instead of "com/forum", we will be able to get back to the Drupal frame forums directly. It's easier to log out also.

Or if once the link of Board index was changed to node/1661, all links of Board index on every page may become double frames? ( like http://www.thejapanesepage.com/node/1661 ?)

----
Edit: 30th 03:15(GMT)
Now, getting back to forums from control panel works fine. Thank you.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Previous

Return to Problems