Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - New Top Banner Question

New Top Banner Question

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Re: New Top Banner Question

Postby phreadom » Thu 03.20.2008 2:00 pm

Okee doke. :)

I think after digging around a bit, I might have a couple ideas from the threads and pictures that have been posted. I'll see if I can come up with some designs.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby clay » Thu 03.20.2008 2:25 pm

The topic is still wide open.

Definitely. I'm still waiting on the forum theming and I'm hoping the video section can be moved over somehow. But the design element is also very important.

I'll see if I can come up with some designs.

Great! Let us know what you come up with.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Sun 03.23.2008 2:02 am

I'm getting a distinct temptation to have a look at the guts of drupal to see how easy or difficult it might be to integrate the themes between drupal and phpbb.

I'm a little familiar with phpbb theming but I haven't looked beneath the hood of drupal before.

Tying the forum into the rest of the site would be a much nicer route to go, but with the side bar(s) and dynamic content therein, it's going to be tricky. That seems like something the current developers would have to do (along the same kind of routes as tying the database code together for the user accounts etc that they've already done).

Also... I know from integrating the forum on my site that the prosilver theme has a minimum width set that is 650px if I remember correctly. Even fitting that into my site for 800x600 resolution was a squeeze due to the design I'm using which adds white space and then borders on either side. The side bar is considerably more than that.

The min-width value is set in styles/prosilver/theme/common.css

Code: Select all
/* Main blocks
---------------------------------------- */
#wrap {
   padding: 0 20px;
   min-width: 650px;
}

I haven't messed with that value myself, so I don't know what possible side effects there might be from changing it.

It looks like with that min-width value, along with the ~200px side bar, and an additional ~100px in padding on the left and right of the content area in which the forum is now appearing, that would leave us still well over 150px too wide. Even cutting out the padding would still be over 50px too wide (figure on adding another 30px or so for scrollbar room etc).

I'm rambling... basically anyone still running 800x600 will just get a horizontal scrollbar. Anyone at 1024x768 or higher won't even notice. No big deal.

Ok, it's past my bedtime and I just totally lost my train of thought... so I'll submit this and come back to the issue later on after sleep. ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby clayb » Sun 03.23.2008 6:08 am

I'm getting a distinct temptation to have a look at the guts of drupal to see how easy or difficult it might be to integrate the themes between drupal and phpbb.

That would be nice :)

Well, originally I hired a team to theme the forum. They gave me the iframe idea (what we are using at the moment), but they are still working on a real theme solution. They said to give them 24 hours or so to see if they can't really theme it (it may have been beyond their abilities) and integrate it with drupal. Or else I'll have to go another route. I think the developers in Australia may be able to do it, but I'm not sure. So in other words, if you have a look and think you can do it and the current themers can't do it, I'll hire you!
clayb
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Suggestions