Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - PHPBB Avatars

PHPBB Avatars

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Re: PHPBB Avatars

Postby clay » Fri 03.14.2008 7:33 am

Sorry for all the errors. NJT may have fixed the main problem by setting the correct permissions on the avatar folder. I just tested it and it worked--albeit with the same errors. (Ignore the errors; it should work.)

I hope Joe in Australia will be able to get to it soon!
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Daisuke » Fri 03.14.2008 1:53 pm

Looks like everyone can upload avatars now. Good work njt! I will try to upload one later.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby phreadom » Sat 03.15.2008 11:10 am

Yay! Worked for me as well. Same thing with the error message, but then it showed up after I clicked on the "display gallery" and noticed it suddenly there.

Oddly my signature broke... I had set an avatar image and signature in drupal, and it seems that the signature possibly got escaped or something by phpBB trying to use the drupal version? The bbcode no longer worked. After I clicked "submit" on my phpBB version of the signature, it worked fine again. Weird.

Anyway, great work guys! :D
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby katafei » Sun 03.23.2008 6:01 am

Testing my avatar
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby clayb » Sun 03.23.2008 6:03 am

I have on my list to the developer to look at the strange error message. It seems to work despite the errors--or does it Katafei?
clayb
Site Admin

Postby katafei » Sun 03.23.2008 6:05 am

Grin

Nope, I can't get it to work....
katafei

Postby clayb » Sun 03.23.2008 6:10 am

Did you go to 'User Control Panel' at the top here in the forums? The avatar in the Drupal (left column 'My account') won't automatically update in phpBB.
clayb
Site Admin

Postby katafei » Sun 03.23.2008 7:02 am

やった
I didn't realize I had to change the profile in the forum section...^_^
katafei

Postby clayb » Sun 03.23.2008 8:35 am

Good! Sorry about that. Right now the main site and the forum have two different avatars :cry:

It is on my list of things to have a developer fix.
clayb
Site Admin

Postby AJBryant » Sun 03.23.2008 2:29 pm

On Avatars -- apparently, there is on oversight in the programming. We have a 120x120 max image rule, but GuitarPlayer has an avatar that's 200x199, so he was able to upload that without being bounced.

And I still can't perform any adminish functions as it STILL insists I must log in AGAIN to be allowed to use that (which is a damned obnoxious function as I already AM logged in!!!) and yet it refuses to let me actully DO it, as it refuses every variation of my password.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby clayb » Sun 03.23.2008 2:48 pm

We have a 120x120 max image rule

There was a discussion about upping this to 200x200 and I think that is what I did. I can lower it to 120x120 again and request for people to get smaller images. What do you think is better? Perhaps 200x200 is a little too large.

And I still can't perform any adminish functions as it STILL insists I must log in AGAIN to be allowed to use that (which is a damned obnoxious function as I already AM logged in!!!) and yet it refuses to let me actully DO it, as it refuses every variation of my password.

Can you tell me specifically which part of the site (Drupal or phpBB) is giving you trouble?
clayb
Site Admin

Postby Daisuke » Sun 03.23.2008 2:58 pm

We already agreed on the 120x120 pixels once.

I just changed it back to 120x120... Those who had bigger avatars will have to resize or pick a new.

I am not sure if bigger avatars which had already been uploaded will be removed automatically. If not, those who have avatars bigger than 120x120 should resize their avatar.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby AJBryant » Sun 03.23.2008 4:13 pm

clayb wrote:Can you tell me specifically which part of the site (Drupal or phpBB) is giving you trouble?

I really have no idea.

All I know is anytime I try to do anything adminish (say, modify someone's sig), I click on that person's name. I then get a page with their info, and on the top is the "Administrate user" option after their name. I click that. Then I get a page telling me "To administer the board you must re-authenticate yourself."

I try the new password you created.

Since I've been trying over and over, I get this:
You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to enter the confirm code from the image you see below.

So I do that, with the new password. Then I get a page saying this:
You have specified an incorrect password. Please check your password and try again. If you continue to have problems please contact the Board Administrator.

So... I decide to try my original password, which is the only one I can use to log into the forum. Then I get this:
You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to enter the confirm code from the image you see below.

And do what it says.
And I get THIS (again):
You have specified an incorrect password. Please check your password and try again. If you continue to have problems please contact the Board Administrator.

So, yeah, I'm really getting annoyed.

I don't know what it's doing, I don't know why, all I know is I am already logged into the frikkin' forum, and I shouldn't need some hyper login to do admin stuff if I'm already in.

Aside from that, I really don't get this double-layered page stuff. I hate to have scrollbars INSIDE a page that has scrollbars -- and that's what the forum inside that framework does. I really like free, standalone forums. I may be a bit of a luddite, but trying to shoehorn the forum into that Drupal thing (if that's what is going on) is, to me, pointless -- because even if I have the index nested that way, when I open a thread the frame is gone and it's in what looks like vanilla, native forum form (which I generally prefer anyway).

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Sun 03.23.2008 5:09 pm

AJBryant wrote:
clayb wrote:Can you tell me specifically which part of the site (Drupal or phpBB) is giving you trouble?

I really have no idea.

All I know is anytime I try to do anything adminish (say, modify someone's sig), I click on that person's name. I then get a page with their info, and on the top is the "Administrate user" option after their name. I click that. Then I get a page telling me "To administer the board you must re-authenticate yourself."

I try the new password you created.

Since I've been trying over and over, I get this:

So I do that, with the new password. Then I get a page saying this:

So... I decide to try my original password, which is the only one I can use to log into the forum. Then I get this:

And do what it says.
And I get THIS (again):

So, yeah, I'm really getting annoyed.

I don't know what it's doing, I don't know why, all I know is I am already logged into the frikkin' forum, and I shouldn't need some hyper login to do admin stuff if I'm already in.

Aside from that, I really don't get this double-layered page stuff. I hate to have scrollbars INSIDE a page that has scrollbars -- and that's what the forum inside that framework does. I really like free, standalone forums. I may be a bit of a luddite, but trying to shoehorn the forum into that Drupal thing (if that's what is going on) is, to me, pointless -- because even if I have the index nested that way, when I open a thread the frame is gone and it's in what looks like vanilla, native forum form (which I generally prefer anyway).

Tony

I'm not sure how they have the login information setup between drupal and phpbb, but phpbb requires a second authentication for administration, and I thought it was just your regular login and password again. Not sure if something got broken when they were tying the code together to have both drupal and phpbb authenticate against the same user information or what...

As for the nested forum, Clay says he already has people working on it. Hopefully they can get something working soon. If not, I might risk the daunting task. I've done a little reading today on drupal and it seems it makes theming phpbb look like a walk in the park. :(

http://nnb.phreadom.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5

(mind you, that's just a temporary development site.)

That has the phpbb forum themed a slight bit color-wise to fit with the rest of my site. Common header, footer and body wrapper etc. This is what I envision happening for the forum here, but with the side-bar(s) added. I definitely think it's possible, just a little tricky. I got my forum themed in in about 1 day of work, but it helped that I was already familiar with phpbb and my own site code. drupal on the other hand appears to be considerably more of a nightmare behind the scenes, along with tying both drupal and phpbb into the same backend database etc.

So, to put it simply... Clay is trying to get the forum tied into the drupal site seamlessly, with a common header and sidebar etc... so it will work like you'd like. :)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Ongakuka » Sun 03.23.2008 6:40 pm

If my Avatar works I have to study Japanese for 4 hours tomorrow

If my Avatar doesn't work, I have to study Japanese for 8 hours tomorrow.

EDIT: Damn.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

PreviousNext

Return to Problems