Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Composition

Composition

英語を勉強している方のためのフォーラムです。練習のために英語の文章を投稿してもかまわなく、英語の文法・語彙に関する質問をしてもけっこうです。

Composition

Postby Tonkatu » Wed 03.19.2008 5:00 am

I take great pain in writting English composition now.
I want to improve my English and ask some questions about somethings in English.
I wish I could talk about somethings more deeply.

I write composition one after another when I have time for it.
Today I have a little time for it.
I intend to write some compositions in belief.
It would be short.
Please correct my sentence.
Tonkatu

Re: Composition

Postby richvh » Wed 03.19.2008 6:24 am

Tonkatu wrote:I take great pain in writting English composition now.
I want to improve my English and ask some questions about somethings in English.
I wish I could talk about somethings more deeply.

I write composition one after another when I have time for it.
I intend to write some compositions in belief.
It would be short.
Please correct my sentence.

My corrections:
I take great pains in writing English compositions now.
I want to improve my English, and to ask some questions about some things in English.
I wish I could talk about some things more deeply.

I write compositions one after another, when I have time for it.
I intend to write some brief compositions.
They will be short. (or "a brief composition. It will be short.")
Please correct my sentences.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Tonkatu » Wed 03.19.2008 8:43 am

Thank you!
I believe that continuing writting English composition make my English improved.

I heard that nowaday the popularity of a apartment has been growing among Japanese,which share flats with someones.
It don't mean that they share bedrooms,but that they share a living room and Kitchen or something like.

Sharing a room is not remarkable in Europe and America,right?
Sharing flats is in rare case?
I heard before the case of a Guest Hause in France for foreigners.
That kind of thing for foreigners is in Japan.

I want to know whether that kind of thing for all people containing company man is in Europe and US.
Tonkatu

Postby richvh » Wed 03.19.2008 10:26 am

Tonkatu wrote:Thank you!
I believe that continuing writting English composition make my English improved.

I heard that nowaday the popularity of a apartment has been growing among Japanese,which share flats with someones.
It don't mean that they share bedrooms,but that they share a living room and Kitchen or something like.

Sharing a room is not remarkable in Europe and America,right?
Sharing flats is in rare case?
I heard before the case of a Guest Hause in France for foreigners.
That kind of thing for foreigners is in Japan.

I want to know whether that kind of thing for all people containing company man is in Europe and US.

My corrections:
Thank you!
I believe that continuing to write English compositions will make my English improve (or will improve my English.)

I heard that nowadays, sharing an apartment has been becoming more popular among Japanese.
It doesn't mean that they share bedrooms, but that they share a living room and kitchen or something like that.

Sharing a room is not remarkable in Europe and America, right?
Sharing an apartment is rare?
I heard of Guest Houses in France for foreigners.
We have that kind of thing for foreigners in Japan.

I want to know whether that kind of thing exists for everyone, including company employees, in Europe and the US.

Sharing an apartment is not uncommon; sharing a room is rare, at least in the US.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Ramen Takoyaki

Postby Tonkatu » Thu 03.20.2008 10:50 am

Thank you for your assisting me.
Anyway,
Sharing a room is rare?
really?
My thought was a typical stereotype.
When I watched American cinema,I sometimes found it.

I have a question about new comers of Japanese food like Ramen and Takoyaki.
I heard of some Ramen stores in German,France,Taiwn,Honkong and US.
Actually,How many people have you ever eaten it?
I found the article say(said??) that Europe has(had??) few Ramen store except German and France.
They say that People who are interested in Ramen bother to go there.
The name of Ramen store in German I heard of is " Kokoro".
The cook and owner came to Japan from German and studied a cooking of Ramen.
I heard that Japanese living at the local spot parise his Ramen.

And,I heard Paris have one shop preparing Takoyaki.
If you know interesting information,please tell me.
Thank you!
Tonkatu

job openings

Postby Tonkatu » Thu 03.20.2008 11:35 am

People who went to graduate school in the humanities in Japan has lower job openings than those who directly graduated from the humanities.
Company don't make much of graduated school in the humanities.
What about your country?
Tonkatu

Postby jenl » Sun 03.23.2008 2:52 pm

Corrections in green!

Thank you for your assisting me.
Anyway,
Sharing a room is rare?
really?
My thought was a typical stereotype.
When I watched American cinema,I sometimes found it.

Thank you for assisting me.
Sharing a room is rare? Really?
I thought it was a typical stereotype. I sometimes saw it when watching American movies.

In England university students, particularly undergraduates, sometimes have to share rooms. The stereotype is that this is only if you don't have much money. It is common to share a flat though - one kitchen, one bathroom, one living room, and then bedrooms for each individual or couple.

I have a question about new comers of Japanese food like Ramen and Takoyaki.
I heard of some Ramen stores in German,France,Taiwn,Honkong and US.
Actually,How many people have you ever eaten it?
I found the article say(said??) that Europe has(had??) few Ramen store except German and France.
They say that People who are interested in Ramen bother to go there.
The name of Ramen store in German I heard of is " Kokoro".
The cook and owner came to Japan from German and studied a cooking of Ramen.
I heard that Japanese living at the local spot parise his Ramen.

And,I heard Paris have one shop preparing Takoyaki.
If you know interesting information,please tell me.
Thank you!

I have a question for newcomers to Japanese food (like ramen and takoyaki).
I have heard about some ramen restaurants in Germany, France, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and the US.
How many people have tried it?
The article I found said that Europe has few ramen restaurants, except for in Germany and France, and that people who are interested in ramen will go there.
I have heard of a restaurant in Germany called "Kokoro". The owner is German but went to Japan to learn how to make ramen. Even the Japanese people who live nearby the restaurant praise his ramen.

I also heard there is one place in Paris where you can buy takoyaki. If you have any information, please tell me. Thank you!

Japanese food is popular in London but the restaurants are very expensive. I have had ramen here but it was probably not very traditional. I also know one place where I live that serves takoyaki. Actually, it is not on the menu but if you ask for it they will prepare some for you.

People who went to graduate school in the humanities in Japan has lower job openings than those who directly graduated from the humanities.
Company don't make much of graduated school in the humanities.
What about your country?

In Japan, people who attended graduate school in the humanities have more difficulty finding a job than those who only have an undergraduate degree in the humanities. It seems companies don't think much of a graduate degree in the humanities. How about your country?

I think you are right. In England, a graduate degree in the humanities is seen by many as not having much practical use. There are exceptions - it depends on which subject you have been studying.
jenl

Thank you!

Postby Tonkatu » Tue 03.25.2008 1:45 pm

I was suprised to hear that in England,people can eat Takoyaki.
Who cook it?English?
by the way,the word "green" you wrote means safety or right?
When plane get off the ground,captain say" all green",don't you?
I happend to wonder whether the image people have for color is differnt by nationality.
"Green" make me image "safety","healing" or something like.
As for "Blue", It's "melancoly","cold","calmness" or something like.

And,
I am interested in the difference of the nature of people by their living area or city.
In Japan,generally speaking,People who live in Osaka seem to be more bold and uproarious than other city.
I think people who love in Tokyo is little cold.
It may be a prejudice.
Some Osaka's people don't like Tokyo much.and vice versa as for Tokyo.
Are there relations like that inyour country?
I have heard of a example between Paris and other area in France.

Do you know any information like that?
Tonkatu

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 03.25.2008 4:40 pm

In a plane there are many lights. Most of them have 2 colors.

Green means everything is working correctly and red means there is a problem.

When all systems are green, it means that all systems are functioning properly. If any of them are red, they would have to unload the plane and fix the problem.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Tonkatu » Thu 03.27.2008 11:37 am

Thank you! two_heads_talking san
by the way,I don't hit on the words that express my gratitude except "Thank you or Thanks"
I have no choise but saying"Thank you".
I want more sophisticated words...I want wits and humor.
It suddenly came to me that because English natives think so,
they change same meaning word into other word?
With only same words,they think plot or story is fixed??

Nowadays I am wondering about serching for the web sites or the web pages with interesting or funny information on culture shock or something like.
I serched for it without success.
Have you ever did so for japanese sites?
I don't like to study English with news.
I want more janalistic articles about some topics;culture,entertainment,leisure industry..etc,not bujiness,science.
I don't like serious topics much.
If you know any information about them,please tell me.
On the other hand,If you study the articles in Japanese,I will assist you.
Tonkatu

Postby jenl » Thu 03.27.2008 12:43 pm

I only know one place to get takoyaki, and that is at a Japanese restaurant, which is also the only proper Japanese restaurant in my town. Some of the chefs at the restaurant are Chinese, though. Many people at my evening class like takoyaki, but it is not easy to find. Most English people wouldn't know what takoyaki is, only sushi and tempura and miso soup and things like that.

In England, the traffic lights are green, yellow, and red. So for us these are 'go', 'careful', and 'stop'. Red often means 'stop' or 'danger' but it is not always a bad thing. Red roses are the most romantic flowers - on Valentines Day these are the most popular. Red poppies have a special meaning - they are the flowers we wear on Remembrance Day, and on the war memorials people will leave wreaths of red poppies. Red Nose Day is a very big charity event in England, and a red letter day is a day that is a special to you (記念すべき日?)

There are also other bad things associated with the colour red - 'in the red' is being in debt, 'red tape' is official paperwork, etc, which is too time-consuming or complicated, if you are 'seeing red' you are angry. 'red rag to a bull' is used to refer to something that will definitely make somebody see red.

So I can say: "He went into the red to buy his girlfriend red roses for Valentine's Day last year, and then right afterwards she dumped him! Don't even mention Valentine's day around him, it's like a red rag to a bull."

By the way, did you see that I wrote 'colour' instead of 'color' up there? I grew up in New Zealand, and in New Zealand we use "British English". There are lots of little differences in spelling compared to US English.

In England there is said to be a 'North-South divide', but it is quite complicated. Maybe it is London against the rest of the country - very similar to how people in the rest of Japan see people from Tokyo, I suspect. There are some nicknames for people from certain areas, such as 'Geordie' which is a person from the town of Newcastle (or nearby), and lots of stereotypes and jokes. Sometimes a northern English accent, or a Scottish accent, will be quite difficult for to understand, even for a native speaker.

Now I see your other message as well:

Nowadays I am wondering about serching for the web sites or the web pages with interesting or funny information on culture shock or something like.
I serched for it without success.
Have you ever did so for japanese sites?
I don't like to study English with news.
I want more janalistic articles about some topics;culture,entertainment,leisure industry..etc,not bujiness,science.
If you know any information about them,please tell me.
On the other hand,If you study the articles in Japanese,I will assist you.

Nowadays I am wondering how to search for a web page with interesting or funny information on things like culture shock. I have looked by myself without success.
Have you ever tried to look for Japanese sites like this?
I don't like studying English with news sites. I want more journalistic articles about topics like culture, entertainment, leisure industry, etc, not business or science.
If you know of any good sites, please tell me. In return, if you want to study these sort of articles in Japanese, I will help you.

Maybe you would like sites about movies? Like http://www.rottentomatoes.com, with movie reviews and news about actors, and also forums where people talk about movies?
Would you like to learn about English slang words? Cockney Rhyming Slang comes from London and is very famous. Although not many people use this sort of language, it is quite fun to learn about: http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/

In England, pantomime is a sort of theatre which is very fun, very silly, very very popular. Around Christmastime there are many productions. For short you can say 'panto', like "We're taking the kids to the panto this year".
http://www.lazybeescripts.co.uk/Panto.htm - this is a good explanation, and they have some scripts.
jenl

Return to 英語の練習