Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Does native English speaking look good on a Japanese Resume?

Does native English speaking look good on a Japanese Resume?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Does native English speaking look good on a Japanese Resume?

Postby Omnistegan » Sun 03.23.2008 3:06 pm

Hey guys,

This is going to have to be hypothetical because my Japanese skills are still in early development.
If we suppose that I keep studying Japanese and end up wanting to work and live in Japan. We'll suppose that I have a good enough hold on the language to live in Japan with no serious problems. Now lets consider if I was looking for a job there. My interests are broad but most probably I would be interested in a job in technology, electronics, or computers (This is really just an example, I'm not sure what career I might find myself in). If this we're the case, is native English speaking a positive? Or is it usually a drawback because it means my Japanese is less developed then a native Japanese person? Are there any career paths that you would consider very difficult or impossible for a foreigner? (The conversation about psychology in another thread comes to mind)

Thanks in advance,

- Graham
Omnistegan

Re: Does native English speaking look good on a Japanese Resume?

Postby keatonatron » Mon 03.24.2008 1:08 am

I think it really relies on the type of work (specifically).

I imagine it's not uncommon for companies to be using software that's only available in the US/UK and only available in English. If that's the case, they wouldn't have to waste time teaching you how to understand the software, and you could even help with new error messages, etc.

If it's a development company that exports software, then they might have clients calling from overseas about problems they're having--in English. In that case, it would be great to have a native speaking developer on site to field the call.

I don't have any experience to talk about the other side of it... I think if you can prove that your Japanese is good enough, it wouldn't be a problem. And your picture will appear on your resume, so writing "Native English Speaker" might be better than leaving them to guess if you natively speak Russian, German, Italian, Spanish, French, or who knows what else.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby suki_315 » Wed 06.11.2008 10:33 pm

I woudn't know, but it would seem that way because the Japanese study English as an American studies Spanish, only to a higher extent being Japanese.
Kathryn
suki_315

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 06.11.2008 10:40 pm

Omnistegan wrote:Are there any career paths that you would consider very difficult or impossible for a foreigner?

I think that "very difficult" describes almost every career path aside from English teacher. Impossible? Perhaps nothing is literally impossible, but you always have to consider that when you're applying for a job that has nothing to do with English, your Japanese language ability and your lack of Japanese cultural knowledge is always going to work heavily against you. In many cases, probably more heavily against you than the English knowledge would work for you. The vast majority of jobs in Japan have nothing to do with English.

(You can search other threads to read about visa problems.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby chikara » Thu 06.12.2008 12:04 am

suki_315 wrote:I woudn't know .....

You used your first ever post to revive a thread that had been dead for three months with that little gem :roll:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 06.12.2008 8:50 am

I didn't even notice the necro. Yeah, that's pretty bad to revive a dead thread just to say that you don't know the answer to the question -- especially when it's already been answered.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby lopka » Mon 06.16.2008 11:34 pm

Lol...

Well, I would just like to add that the title of this thread seems a little irrelevant; it doesn't matter if being a native English speaker looks good or not in your resume because it's something you can't leave out anyway, it's not like you have a choice...

And if your dream is to go to Japan, you need to be realistic, but still not be affected by this sort of thing.
I would say that if you intend to follow a scientific career or something of the sort, it might be a good idea to think of studying in Japan, not just for the language sake, but everything else related to those courses. It should make it much easier finding a job in Japan later.
Of course, this is just my humble opinion.
lopka

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan