Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Stop Smoking

Stop Smoking

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Do you think I can stop smoking?

Poll ended at Wed 04.30.2008 5:30 pm

I am pretty sure you can!
No votes
Of course, just hang in there.
71%
Yes, why not.
14%
I think you gonna hold a while, but will fail in the long run.
No votes
Yes, in like 3 days or so.
No votes
You just gonna smoke, when you wake up!
14%

Total votes : 7

Stop Smoking

Postby Clochi » Fri 03.21.2008 5:30 pm

Yes cigarettes, so please spear me the lame jokes. :|

Okay, so my plan is to quit smoking tomorrow, but that easier said than done.
People who never smoked before would simply say "Then just quit" and i wish that would be that simple and easy.
But heres the problem, when someone is trying to stop smoking, it feels really uncomftable and your mind comes up with the most lame excuses why to start smoking again - the whole time.
Like: "Take one now, you can just stop tomorrow" or "Its okay if you only take one, besides - you had a ruff day" or "You know you want one, nobody is going know anyway" and so on.
And of course, that is where you have to be strong and believing in your decision on quitting.

The reason why I like to smoke is because its relaxing, and I enjoy smoking while studying Japanese.
Theres alot of reasons why I don't like it, I think most people know all the negative things about cigarettes.
I know when I wake up tomorrow its going to be difficult and a unpleasant month, but something tells me that I can do it.

Now, I have looked at different websites how to quit smoking, its a little helpful.
But I think the best idea would to get encouragement from you guys, Also if you got some tips or ideas. That would be very helpful. It could be awesome if someone here is a ex-smoker and can help guid me.
I am not gonna make a blog about this, but I will let you know how things are going, after some days.
Clochi

Re: Stop Smoking

Postby richvh » Fri 03.21.2008 6:00 pm

You know, I think this falls under the "we don't care how your socks smell" guideline for things that don't fit in the off topic forum. Good luck with quitting... but you'd be better off posting to a forum dedicated to nicotine withdrawal than here.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 03.21.2008 6:02 pm

it's a nicotine addiction that you need to beat.. but unfortunately, we can't help you with that.. you are better addressing this on a forum that is dedicated to nicotine addiction.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby clay » Fri 03.21.2008 6:19 pm

I've never been addicted to cigarettes so I can't feel for your situation--but ganbatte!

Rich and Two Heads have a good point, though. There may be a "Let's quit together" forum out there that would be more empathetic.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Clochi » Fri 03.21.2008 7:01 pm

I don't want join another forum page just for one subject that alredy is out there, This topic is only active for a week or a month anyway.
If you don't smoke like I do, or maybe theres someone in here that does. That okay - I would still appreciate some tips, ideas and suggestions from here.
I did read the rules for offtopic and I can't see this topic under as "we don't care how your socks smell". If it is - then theres alot of them in the offtopic.
Please don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that this topic is better than others. But I still feel that theres a place for this topic to be here.
I know that about my nicotine addiction and my problem, but its still conversation that everbody here, can talk about.
Clochi

Postby Sairana » Sat 03.22.2008 1:37 am

Doesn't seem like a "socks" thread to me. That one in the rules adds, "Make real threads for serious conversation."

That means don't make pointless threads that no one -can- respond to, like "LOL today I took off my shoes and my socks stunk so bad my brother cried and sat on our cat lol."

There's not much discussion there. Off-topic vs Japanese General means whatever here as long as it's not spam, IMHO, but whenever someone posts a topic that someone has -no interest- in they get the "smelly socks" routine. If the message here is "If it's not about Japan or Japanese, find some other appropriate forum" then perhaps the Off-topic forum was a bad idea after all.

If people look to this community for shared interests aside from Japanese, I don't see how that's a terrible thing though.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Konstantin » Sat 03.22.2008 8:58 pm

Quitting smoking is a serious matter. Addiction is only a part of the problem. Another part is the nicotin hunger, which is not the same as addiction. Nicotin is included in, for example, NAD, which is a ligand for many proteins in our organism. Without NAD those proteins can not function properly. Now, your organism was getting this nicotin from cigarettes, so, when you quit smoking, you simply lack nicotin, untill your organism will start producing it again. In two words, while you were smoking, your metabolism was using a "shortcut" obtaining needed nicotin from cigarettes and did not bother to produce it normally. Thus, depending on how long you were smoking, it is good to consult a doctor, and maybe use some nicotin substitute for a while, and gradually diminish the dose.
Good luck.
Konstantin

Postby AJBryant » Sat 03.22.2008 9:19 pm

I'm sitting here smoking my pipe right now. :twisted:

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby guitarplayer7694 » Sun 03.23.2008 3:12 am

I'm sitting here smoking my pipe right now. :twisted:

Tony

Any one else think that the pipe smoking bit fits tony, it seems so intellectual.

Clochi: doubt my young opinion will be given much weight but what if you charted your progress, gave us updates, then you might feel ashamed for failing and that would give you a small push toward not taking a smoke. Or what if you gradually not suddenly took it away? Or what if you found something else to do when you feel the need for cig? Just throwing ideas out there. And as clay said がんばって!!
guitarplayer7694

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 03.25.2008 12:10 pm

@ konstantine. I am having a hard time figuring out what you are saying here.

As for nicotine, it is completely addictive. It is as addictive as Heroine or Cocaine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

here is what the American Heart Association has to say about nicotine. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4753

@ clochi)) you should really look here for help. http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/

here is some other information and how doctors will prescribe nicotine to help you curb your cravings. http://www.drugs.com/nicotine.html

http://teens.drugabuse.gov/mom/mom_nic1.asp that article is 6 pages long, so be sure to use the next page links..

If you really want to know how to cope with this condition, you should enroll yourself into a smokers anonymous/nicotine anonymous program. Only those that are quitting will really be able to help you also. The only time I smoked was when I snuck a cigarette at the age of 7 with my friend from his dad's car. We smoked it in my dad's shed. The very same shed he kept all his gunpowder and reloading equipment in. (I didn't really think about that at such a young age) My dad busted me and made me smoke the whole pack of cigarettes. To this day, even second hand smoke makes me want to puke, which is what I did after smoking the pack of cigarettes, so my opinion on the matter is pretty cut and dried. I cannot empathize with someone who has smoked as I have never gone through it.
two_heads_talking

Postby Konstantin » Tue 03.25.2008 1:44 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:@ konstantine. I am having a hard time figuring out what you are saying here.

As for nicotine, it is completely addictive. It is as addictive as Heroine or Cocaine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

here is what the American Heart Association has to say about nicotine. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4753

Yes, of course, it is addictive. However, it is slightly more than only addictive. One can be hungry for nicotine. Just like when you are hungry for food. Unlike other addictive drugs, nicotine is actively used by your organism even when you do not smoke, even when you never smoked. This is a fundamental difference of nicotine from them. Thus, the "quality" of addiction to nicotine is different than the "quality" of addiction to other drugs, which may be more addictive, but alien to your body. Thus, it is better to consult a doctor to ecape nicotine dificiency during the healing period. I am sorry, if I am unclear.

Konstantin

PS. Saying that nicotine is as addictive as heroin or cocaine is a bit exaggerating and over dramatic. Nicotine does not screw your nervous system like those two. But even many scientists differ by the level of drama.
Konstantin

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 03.25.2008 4:27 pm

Konstantin wrote:
PS. Saying that nicotine is as addictive as heroin or cocaine is a bit exaggerating and over dramatic. Nicotine does not screw your nervous system like those two. But even many scientists differ by the level of drama.

it is as addictive as those two in that the first time you use them, you are immediately dependant .. I am not comparing the results of Nicotine use and heroine or cocaine usage. If you check the websites I listed you will understand exactly what I am talking about. And there are quite a few scientists that agree with my assessment, the American Heart Association, and a few other reputable institutions. But, let the merits stand on their own.

And you keep saying "used by your organism" and that is the phrase that is completely baffling me. What is the original word you are translating that from?
two_heads_talking

Postby enji » Wed 03.26.2008 8:25 am

two_heads_talking wrote:And you keep saying "used by your organism" and that is the phrase that is completely baffling me. What is the original word you are translating that from?

I think he's trying to say "used by your body" or something along that line. This is because NAD (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) is a coenzyme and is involved in some metabolic reactions in our body.
言いたくても言えなくて
enji

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 03.26.2008 9:00 am

that is why I am asking for the origin word he is using. I had assumed a few things as well, but thought it better to ask than to assume.
two_heads_talking

Postby Clochi » Wed 03.26.2008 5:30 pm

Konstantin wrote:Quitting smoking is a serious matter. Addiction is only a part of the problem. Another part is the nicotin hung.....
Good luck.

Thanks. I didn't know that. Does it mean every human is producing own nicotin/NAD? I always fought that nicotin was just some bad thing in cigarettes that made one addictive.
-----

two_heads_talking wrote:@ clochi)) you should really look here for help. http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/

here is some other information..
The only time I smoked was when I snuck a cigarette at the age of 7 with my friend from his dad's car. We smok..

Thanks you. I don't think I have the time to read all that stuff, but I did find one of the article interesting, so I will read some of it. Also I'd found you story amusing and interesting too!
Like I said - I don't want to join a other forum (or website), just for one subject.

----

Konstantin wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:@ konstantine. I am having a hard time figuring out what you are saying here.

Yes, of course, it is addic... Thus, it is better to consult a doctor to ecape nicotine dificiency ...

Konstantin

PS. Saying that nicotine is as addictive as heroin or cocaine is a bit exaggerat...

Thanks! I did consult a doctor, but that was a year ago while I was in the army. Me and him was talking about the same subject. I do remember that he said to me the same ting that two_heads_talking said: That It is as addictive as Heroine or Cocaine.
I meant too, that it was a bit exaggerating. But the last i remeber i think he said was "Heroine and Cocaine may kill the user faster, but when it comes to a addiction - it still the same."

Thanks for all the replies! I do appreciate it!
Clochi

Next

Return to General off topic