Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT...

JLPT...

The test - experiences, questions or comments

JLPT...

Postby kyubisharingan » Mon 03.24.2008 1:10 pm

im just curious, i know that the JLPT test shows how much japanese u know and stuff....but can the results after the test be used for something else? Such as getting a good job in japan or something?

PS srry if this is the wrong place to post this
kyubisharingan

Re: JLPT...

Postby EvanT » Thu 03.27.2008 5:44 am

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. You can use the diploma issued for any circumstance where you'd need to verify your knowledge of the language, be it a job application, a university application etc. I'm not sure if anyone in Japan would be terribly impressed with it (I doubt most people know JLPT even exists). It makes sense that they'd care if you can actually speak and use the language in daily life, rather than having a piece of paper that claims you do. Of course, if you turn up in an office, speak fluent Japanese and also be able to back up your knowledge with a state-issued certificate, all the better I'd say.
EvanT

Postby kayuu » Thu 03.27.2008 9:22 am

It used to be used as a proof that you can understand Japanese if you wanted to study at a university in Japan. That's why it was invented. You know how foreign students might come to the US or England? Before being able to enrol at university they would need to take an exam to prove that they could speak the language sufficiently to get through the course. JLPT was the same, for Japan.

However, the EJU is now used for this purpose. It replaced the JLPT in 2002:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Examinatio ... l_Students

However, you are able to take the JLPT internationally, but most people would have to travel to take the EJU, the JLPT is still taken by foreign nationals as a method of being able to prove general Japanese language proficiency.

I, for example, am using it as a qualification equivalent when I apply to intermediate Japanese classes at university next year. They usually ask that the student has completed a GCSE or A-level in Japanese, but they said that my JLPT should be fine. They assess everyone with an oral exam before acceptance anyway.

It's just another thing to put on your CV. It could possibly help you get a job if the company has strong ties with Japan, etc. and your ability could help with the business trips they take there, or if you wanted to work in a Japanese supermarket :P But, if you wanted to get a job that purely focusses on Japanese you might want to consider taking a degree course or similar instead.
kayuu

Native language: 英語

Postby ken_bon » Sun 04.27.2008 4:30 am

i'm taking japanese as one of the subject in uni... and we need to take it for 4 semesters... i'm currently in my 2nd sem... i just wonder if it is possible for me to take JLPT 4 at december this year??? by december, i should have taken japanese for 3 semester in my uni... i mean do u think i'll be able to cope with the test...
ken_bon

Re: Ken_bon's hijack

Postby Sairana » Sun 04.27.2008 4:46 am

ken_bon wrote:i'm taking japanese as one of the subject in uni... and we need to take it for 4 semesters... i'm currently in my 2nd sem... i just wonder if it is possible for me to take JLPT 4 at december this year??? by december, i should have taken japanese for 3 semester in my uni... i mean do u think i'll be able to cope with the test...

Please don't use other people's threads to ask a new question. Use the "New Topic" button on the forum page.

Now, RE: JLPT4
There's no way to know if your university experiences will get you through JLPT 4 without having some of the curriculum to examine. I'd hate to say "Yeah, you'll be able to pass" only to find out.... you can't. Especially since the test costs money.

I will say that the JLPT 4 is apparently ridiculously easy. I've not actually taken the test myself, but I've done some of the past tests on my own time and found them pretty darn simple. If your program is even halfway decent, I would think that in 3 semesters, you "should" have enough to pass JLPT 4. But again, that's based on a whole lot of nothing. :P
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test