Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Introduction of Yuki

Introduction of Yuki

Translations of chapters from the story by our own richvh

Introduction of Yuki

Postby kevinnwhat » Sun 03.30.2008 8:52 pm

昔々、ある小さな村にゆきという娘がおばあさんと二人で暮らしていました。ゆきは、とても美しい子でしたが、二人は大変貧しい生活をしていました。村全体も貧しく、若者の姿もあまり見られませんでした。そして、ゆきと結婚したいという者も、誰一人として現れたことはありませんでした。

「ゆきや、お前の幸せを探すために、都に行った方がいいよ」と毎日おばあさんは言いました。

「おばあさまを独りここに残して都へ出かけることはできません」とその度、ゆきは答えました。
ある日、おばあさんは亡くなりました。おばあさんをお墓に葬ってから、ゆきはなけなしの家財を集め、都へ向けて出発しました。

Once upon a time, in one small village there was a daughter named yuki, who made a living together with her grandmother. Yuki was a very beautiful child, though they live very poor live. The whole village was also poor, you could not see a figure of a young man. Therefore, the person who wanted to marry yuki,----.
"Yuki, its better to go to the city in order to search for your happiness" Grandmother said everyday.
"I cant go to the city because ill leave you here by yourself" she answered that time.
One day, the grandmother died. Because the grandmother was buried in a tomb, yuki gathered up all her tiny house belongings, and turned toward the city and departed.

I do not know what the "として" does in the phrase そして、ゆきと結婚したいという者も、誰一人として現れたことはありませんでした, therefore i left it out. Can anyone help me out? is the として simply like http://www.guidetojapanese.org/reasoning.html#part3 shown here? Idont understand. Any help is greatly appreciated.
kevinnwhat

Re: Introduction of Yuki

Postby richvh » Sun 03.30.2008 9:22 pm

kevinnwhat wrote:Once upon a time, in one small village there was a daughter named yuki, who made a living together with her grandmother.

"Once upon a time, a girl named Yuki lived with her grandmother in a small village" is more natural.
Yuki was a very beautiful child, though they live very poor live.

"They lived very poor lives" or something like that.
The whole village was also poor, you could not see a figure of a young man.

"And there was scarcely a young man to be seen."
Therefore, the person who wanted to marry yuki,----.

On top of that, there wasn't even one person who showed up asking to marry Yuki.
"Yuki, its better to go to the city in order to search for your happiness" Grandmother said everyday.
"I cant go to the city because ill leave you here by yourself" she answered that time.

Every time, she answered, "I can't go to the city and leave you here by yourself."
One day, the grandmother died. Because the grandmother was buried in a tomb, yuki gathered up all her tiny house belongings, and turned toward the city and departed.

After burying her grandmother, Yuki gathered their meager goods and set out for the city.

I do not know what the "として" does in the phrase そして、ゆきと結婚したいという者も、誰一人として現れたことはありませんでした, therefore i left it out. Can anyone help me out? is the として simply like http://www.guidetojapanese.org/reasoning.html#part3 shown here? Idont understand. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Look up として in edict. Basically, it's "in the role of" or something like that. Also, してから is "after doing"; したから is "because one did."
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Return to ゆきの物語