Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - one

one

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Re: one

Postby chikara » Tue 04.08.2008 8:05 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:In America, we say hero and erb.. the "h" is silent in herb. .....

I know, it was a joke hence the ;) :lol:

Actually my understanding, and experience, is that pronouncing the "h" in "herb" is the English pronunciation everywhere except North America. It is not just a British thing.

As a matter of interest if a person's name is "Herbert" is it shortened to "erb"? Was the Volkswagen Beetle in the "Love Bug" movies called "Erbie" in the USA?

Personally I find the silent "h" in "herb" as annoying as the silent "p" in "swimming pool". :shock: :lol:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3577
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

Re: one

Postby richvh » Tue 04.08.2008 8:16 pm

The "h" in Herbert (and derivative nicknames) is pronounced. "Herb" is a person, an "'erb" is something you add to a recipe.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: Thu 09.29.2005 10:35 pm

Re: one

Postby chikara » Tue 04.08.2008 8:20 pm

richvh wrote:The "h" in Herbert (and derivative nicknames) is pronounced. "Herb" is a person, an "'erb" is something you add to a recipe.

What if you are a cannibal? :twisted:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3577
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

Re: one

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 04.09.2008 9:21 am

chikara wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:In America, we say hero and erb.. the "h" is silent in herb. .....

I know, it was a joke hence the ;) :lol:

Actually my understanding, and experience, is that pronouncing the "h" in "herb" is the English pronunciation everywhere except North America. It is not just a British thing.

As a matter of interest if a person's name is "Herbert" is it shortened to "erb"? Was the Volkswagen Beetle in the "Love Bug" movies called "Erbie" in the USA?

Personally I find the silent "h" in "herb" as annoying as the silent "p" in "swimming pool". :shock: :lol:


actually in America Herbie was pronounced as Herbie, not erbie. as for silent "h's" I just find it very odd when it is silent and when it isn't. Of course I blame the Brits and their Tea for all of that. :? :wink:
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: one

Postby chikara » Wed 04.09.2008 8:06 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:actually in America Herbie was pronounced as Herbie, not erbie. as for silent "h's" I just find it very odd when it is silent and when it isn't.

In Australia it is very common to drop the leading "h" from words where the second letter is an "a" such as "have" ('ave) and "half ('alf) but this is certainly not an "official" pronunciation.

two_heads_talking wrote:Of course I blame the Brits and their Tea for all of that. :? :wink:

The Brits have certainly got a lot to answer for but if it wasn't for them my family would probably have starved in Ireland rather than prosper in Australia. Looking back, being transported to Australia hardly seems like punishment ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
User avatar
chikara
 
Posts: 3577
Joined: Tue 07.11.2006 10:48 pm
Location: Australia (SA)
Native language: English (Australian)
Gender: Male

Re: one

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 04.10.2008 3:21 pm

My Irish ancestors were running from the law as well. they just went west rather than south. Of course they weren't transported but rather "he" stowed away on a ship coming to the Americas.

At least that's what we think happened. Come to find out, his wife, whom he met here in the US, didn't even know his real first name. Now that's shadey if you ask me.
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Previous

Return to General off topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests