Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is this right?

Is this right?

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Is this right?

Postby Astral Abraxas » Thu 04.10.2008 3:01 am

Just got into verb conjugations and am having difficulties with longer sentences.

図書館で日本語に土曜日を勉強します。
としょかんでにほんごにどようびをべんきょうします。
toshokan de nihongo ni doyoubi o benkyoushimasu.
(on saturday I will study japanese at the library)

I don't really know any kanji, but my genki book shows me the kanji for certain words so I'm pretty sure these are correct x.x. But sweet jesus is it ever more easy to separate words when using kanji.

How about something like:

図書館で日本語に土曜日ごろ五時を勉強します.= on saturday around 5:00 o'clock I will study japanese at the library.

I've also just recently learned my particles (de,ni,wo) so I'm a little shakey with them too ^^.
Astral Abraxas

Re: Is this right?

Postby Oyaji » Thu 04.10.2008 3:20 am

I've changed the word order a little, and fixed the particles:
土曜日図書館で日本語勉強します。

図書館で日本語に土曜日ごろ五時を勉強します.= on saturday around 5:00 o'clock I will study japanese at the library.

Japanese word order is fairly free, but to me that would look better as:

土曜日の5時ごろ日本語を図書館で勉強します。or 土曜日の5時ごろ図書館で日本語を勉強します。
Oyaji

Postby Astral Abraxas » Thu 04.10.2008 3:40 am

I didn't know you could use の with time. I suppose a day can possess a specific time, makes a little sense to me anyways.

Oyaji wrote:

Japanese word order is fairly free, but to me that would look better as:

土曜日の5時ごろ日本語を図書館で勉強します。or 土曜日の5時ごろ図書館で日本語を勉強します。

Now that I know you can use の like that I think it looks better like that too ^^.

ありがと
Astral Abraxas

Postby Sairana » Thu 04.10.2008 4:34 am

Astral Abraxas wrote:I didn't know you could use の with time. I suppose a day can possess a specific time,

の isn't a possessive. That is one of those classic "lies to children" you are told in the beginning of your studies. Eventually, you need to break away from thinking of it strictly in those terms.

の links nouns/clauses with other nouns/phrases. Whatever comes before の modifies what follows it. English does the same with prepositions. Nouns that are linked very frequently tend to become compound nouns.

:arrow: "The top of the table."
:arrow: "Table top"
:arrow: 「テーブル の 上」

In English, we wouldn't say the table "possesses" a top. It's merely describes a specific aspect of the table, so you know exactly what we're focused on. の functions the same.

... I'm not entirely sure I've managed to explain this very clearly. :oops:

ありがと

[quibble]ありがと[/quibble]
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 04.10.2008 7:16 am

That explanation seems fine -- I would just add that sometimes it does show possession, that's just not it's only function. (Some people try to interpret every use of の as an extension of "possession" but I don't see the point of this. It seems like just doing needless mental gymnastics to hold on to an incorrect understanding of the particle, plus it can lead to misunderstandings, especially with things like 日本人の友達.) Usually the core meaning I try to use is that XのY means that Y is described in some way by X.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)