Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Where is everyone?

Where is everyone?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Where is everyone?

Postby Oracle » Wed 04.16.2008 1:47 am

Just an observation: Anyone else feel like there's about 10% of the activity here now as opposed to before the move..?
Oracle

Native language: English

Re: Where is everyone?

Postby chikara » Wed 04.16.2008 2:12 am

Yes, things have been very quiet since the move to the new server.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 04.16.2008 3:31 am

I've been so busy with work that I haven't really noticed, but I think you're right.

There seems to be many more introduction threads, but not as many people are asking questions in the forums.
I notice a lot of people are posting in the groups and on their blogs though. Although it is kind of difficult to find new blog posts if you don't know that they've been updated.

I think the same amount of activity might be going on, but it's just so much more spread out now (between the forums, photo groups, groups and blogs) that it's harder to notice.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby hyperconjugated » Wed 04.16.2008 4:11 am

I'm not sure if it's just me but the new polished TJP is loading slower than the old one. Because it takes more time to load and read all the new posts, I don't check the forum as often as I used to.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Oyaji » Wed 04.16.2008 4:22 am

There are groups? There are blogs? I guess I need to look around more.

Lately it seems like most of the threads are basic grammar questions which are quickly answered by Chris or someone, and that is that. There don't seem to be as many cultural discussions and such as before. Is that all happening in the groups and blogs now?

Would posts about rice planting and umeboshi pickling and such now all belong in blogs?
Oyaji

Postby OitaFish » Wed 04.16.2008 6:07 am

Oyaji wrote:There are groups? There are blogs? I guess I need to look around more.

That was my reaction too...

The site filter at work just started blocking this site so I guess I will be more productive now. :roll:
OitaFish

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 04.16.2008 11:42 am

Oyaji wrote:There are groups? There are blogs? I guess I need to look around more.

Lately it seems like most of the threads are basic grammar questions which are quickly answered by Chris or someone, and that is that. There don't seem to be as many cultural discussions and such as before. Is that all happening in the groups and blogs now?

Would posts about rice planting and umeboshi pickling and such now all belong in blogs?

I certainly hope the hell not.. I am not a fan of blogs.. too much personal baggage for my taste..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby clay » Wed 04.16.2008 2:05 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:

I certainly hope the hell not.. I am not a fan of blogs.. too much personal baggage for my taste..

Well, I would love to read Oyaji's blog on pickling umeboshi!

I am sure the new site is faster just because we were pushing the limits on the old server. However the database is probably not optimized and is slowing things down--especially with the database intensive forums. Rackspace (the host) said they could look at the setup and make recommendations on improving it. I'll probably have them do that.

My hope is once we get the different parts of the site working together better, traffic will pick up. I plan to start advertising the site soon. I haven't done so already because how patched together it was. Things are getting better thanks to Axlen and Phreadom and a few other admins! (Thanks guys) I will also send out a one time email to past members once we get a little more work done.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Return to General off topic