Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Need help with getting a japanese credit card

Need help with getting a japanese credit card

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Need help with getting a japanese credit card

Postby Takoyaki » Sun 04.20.2008 2:49 am

...or something like that.

I am trying to sign up for the Yahoo Japan Wallet so I can use more of their services, I already have a free email account with them, but they won't take any of my american credit cards. (I tried several times already.) I have emailed customer support and they are saying to find some other method of payment. I can either open a Japanese bank account or get another credit card I suppose. But this is my first time ever trying something like this. Btw, I live in the USA.

Any suggestions?

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!
Takoyaki

Re: Need help with getting a japanese credit card

Postby OitaFish » Sun 04.20.2008 7:05 am

I think you will find it very difficult, if not impossible, to get a Japanese credit card without living here. As far as I know, you cannot open a bank account in Japan without a registered Japanese address.

Do they accept paypal?
OitaFish

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 04.20.2008 9:07 am

I could not get a Japanese credit card even when I did live there -- they always rejected me because I hadn't lived there long enough and thus wasn't trustworthy enough.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Takoyaki » Sun 04.20.2008 5:36 pm

It would be nice if they accepted paypal, but they don't. :<-(

I am not surprised they want people to be in Japan longer before giving them a credit card. They seem to set the requirements of everything pretty high for foreigners in general. Or so I have read.

This is a warning on their site for the Wallet: "海外で発行した一部のクレジットカードは、ウォレットに登録ができない場合があります。ご了承ください。"

It seems to me that some foreign cards might work. I have heard of an international Mastercard or Visa Card. Maybe I could try signing up for one of them... Or a Citibank Visa. I read somewhere their ATM cards work in Japan since they have branches there.

Awful lot of work to just give them money, lol.
Takoyaki

Return to Japanese General Discussion