Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Masculine/Feminine Names

Masculine/Feminine Names

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Masculine/Feminine Names

Postby AJBryant » Mon 02.18.2008 3:00 pm

Noob wrote:
I read somewhere, that the current emperor has a lot of influence on japanese names.
Male or female.

To be honest, your dilemma isn't all that warranted. Would you name your son Jennifer? Michelle?

Every culture has masculine and feminine names. If you listen carefully, you can tell the difference.

Really? Consider Marion, Leslie, and Evelyn. Those are all men's names. Really.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby doinkies » Mon 02.18.2008 4:22 pm

Oracle wrote:
Yeah, I take that back about 代 - but it is certainly less common than a generation or so back.

When I worked at an old people's hospital in Japan a lot of the elderly women (in their 80s, 90s and a couple 100+) often seemed to have much shorter names and frequently didn't have (or just didn't use) kanji for them. Some of the ones I remember were ones like カメ and トメ. There were quite a few 〜代 but not that many 〜子 among them

btw Here are some of the crazy names Japanese kids are getting today!

I love the DQN Names page, it's like the Japanese version of Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing. A lot of the comments that people leave for the names are hilarious :D

For more...ordinary names, http://www.emusu.net/seimei/ has a 名前人気度 page that tracks which names are most popular with their users. It seems that 瑛太(えいた) has become a popular boy's name on that site (tied at #2 with 駿, pronounced しゅん or かける), I guess this is because of an actor with the same name. And 璃子 is tied with other girls' names at #6, again probably because of teenage actress 成海璃子. Also some rather...odd "tryndee" (to borrow a term from BNaBBT) readings of kanji...though some of them are just 名乗り readings, like かな for 愛. At least せふれ、あなる、そうか or any of the other DQN delights aren't on the list :p

There is an organization in Japan, I think an insurance company or something, that releases lists of the most popular baby names for the previous year, but I forget their address...
Last edited by doinkies on Mon 02.18.2008 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 02.18.2008 4:47 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Noob wrote:
I read somewhere, that the current emperor has a lot of influence on japanese names.
Male or female.

To be honest, your dilemma isn't all that warranted. Would you name your son Jennifer? Michelle?

Every culture has masculine and feminine names. If you listen carefully, you can tell the difference.

Really? Consider Marion, Leslie, and Evelyn. Those are all men's names. Really.

Tony

As are Shannon, Tracy, Morgan, and Sue.
two_heads_talking

Re: Masculine/Feminine Names

Postby glenda garcia » Mon 04.21.2008 8:55 pm

If you could help me how can I translate japanese names.
A student asked me how can we write in kanji our names
Can you recomend a text or a link thank you
Glenda
glenda garcia

Postby chikara » Mon 04.21.2008 9:53 pm

glenda garcia wrote:If you could help me how can I translate japanese names.
A student asked me how can we write in kanji our names
Can you recomend a text or a link thank you

Glenda-san, please stop necroposting with posts that add nothing to the thread you resurrect.

As for writing your name in kanji please read this recent thread :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby spinizuey » Mon 04.21.2008 10:32 pm

http://dqname.jp/index.php?md=view&c=hu266

ぷう? I know that this is another language, but doesn't it sound funny to the Japanese too? (I don't understand the "memo" listed for the page, but is that what they're referring to?)
~~~~~~~
Spinizuey
(Kanji as of 10-28-07: 60)
spinizuey

Postby Sairana » Tue 04.22.2008 12:29 am

spinizuey wrote:http://dqname.jp/index.php?md=view&c=hu266

ぷう? I know that this is another language, but doesn't it sound funny to the Japanese too? (I don't understand the "memo" listed for the page, but is that what they're referring to?)

In the dialog, they discuss how odd it sounds and how he got teased in school for it. DQN is sort of like a Japanese version of "Babies Named a Bad Bad Thing". For the record, the Kanji listed for the name are "yellow" and "bear". It appears to be a Winnie the Poo reference. I'd hope no one actually has named their child this...
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan