Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Bringing Money to Japan

Bringing Money to Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Bringing Money to Japan

Postby chikara » Wed 04.30.2008 10:34 pm

becki_kanou wrote:.... Generally only the main post office in town though, and if you go out into the countryside, not even then. I'd say don't expect to be able to use your card outside of big cities. ....

How do you define "big cities"? I've had no trouble finding post office ATM's in towns with populations around the 100K mark. In towns smaller than that I didn't try as I ensured I was carrying sufficient cash before arriving.

hamsterfreak4evr wrote:..... we are traveling to Osaka, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Nagoya, and Tokyo. .....

I have successfully used my credit cards and Travelex Cash Passport in all of those cities bar Nagoya. I've only been to Nagoya to change trains.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 05.01.2008 12:10 am

chikara wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:.... Generally only the main post office in town though, and if you go out into the countryside, not even then. I'd say don't expect to be able to use your card outside of big cities. ....

How do you define "big cities"? I've had no trouble finding post office ATM's in towns with populations around the 100K mark. In towns smaller than that I didn't try as I ensured I was carrying sufficient cash before arriving.

The town I live in is medium sized (113,730 people) and while I can use my American credit/debit card at the main post-office at the center of town, it doesn't work at any of the smaller outlying branches, including the one that is only a 2 minute walk from my house, darn it! :lol:

-Becki
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby chikara » Thu 05.01.2008 12:50 am

becki_kanou wrote:The town I live in is medium sized (113,730 people) and while I can use my American credit/debit card at the main post-office at the center of town, it doesn't work at any of the smaller outlying branches ....

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you meant it wouldn't even work at the main post office. I may have just been lucky that the post offices I used in those smaller cities were probably the main ones.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 05.01.2008 1:11 am

chikara wrote:Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you meant it wouldn't even work at the main post office. I may have just been lucky that the post offices I used in those smaller cities were probably the main ones.

It's all good. To tell the truth I'm a little frustrated with the post office right now, because they kind of screwed me over. You may have noticed that at ATMS you can check your balance, but at the post office you can withdraw only? Well, I had assumed that if there wasn't enough money in the account they would give you an "insufficient funds" notice or some such rather than letting you take it out regardless. However that is not the case and I got slapped with an overdraft fee. Of course it's partially my own fault for not having a clearer recall of the balance but still :x ...

Something to be aware of if you intend to use a foreign debit card at the post office.

/rant over...
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan