Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - any history buffs?

any history buffs?

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

RE: any history buffs?

Postby ghosthacker » Tue 05.29.2007 11:21 am

Gundaetiapo wrote:
To think I've wasted away Saturday's reading history articles on the Wikipedia and someone doesn't like history.

Lots of things change as we move forward in time, but the human mind is still the same as it has always been for thousands of years.

Uh, not true. But let's not go down that path of discussion any further.

LOL uh it is true( the modern human mind emerged some 50,000 years ago), but lets not go down that path of discussion any further. :D
Last edited by ghosthacker on Tue 05.29.2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghosthacker

Postby CometBelle » Thu 06.28.2007 3:13 pm

If you want to get into Japanese history, I think first you should decide what part of the history; it will help a lot to decide what you like most. There are many aspects to history, and some are just more appealing than others. It does depend on the person, though.

What you don't want to do, though, is force yourself to get into it. If you do that, you'll soon get bored and won't get very far.

Also, I wouldn't depend too much on history teachers. I feel that studying history is funner when doing it alone, especially because you aren't forced to study one topic.

As a few people have mentioned before, there are many historical fiction books that are very interesting. You learn and have fun at the same time. : )
CometBelle

Postby Lego » Thu 06.28.2007 3:31 pm

AJBryant wrote:
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

That also holds true for Math, Science, French, and any other classes you may be taking. ;)

Tony

lol :D
it seems like I'm doomed to reapeat that mechanics' exam for the fourth time :(

---

I think that history becomes boring only when you are obliged to learn by heart countless dates.
I think that history is really essential to really understand what's happening around us now, and I also think that it becomes a really interesting subject when you stop to learn just what happened and start to learn why it did.
せがた三四郎、せがた三四郎、
セガサターン、シロ!
Lego

Postby AJBryant » Thu 06.28.2007 7:50 pm

CometBelle wrote:
I feel that studying history is funner when doing it alone, especially because you aren't forced to study one topic.

Funner? :o :( :(
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Daiki » Thu 06.28.2007 8:38 pm

It's too bad that America's history is so boring compared to Japan's... :(
Daiki

Postby CometBelle » Thu 06.28.2007 11:17 pm

AJBryant wrote:
CometBelle wrote:
I feel that studying history is funner when doing it alone, especially because you aren't forced to study one topic.

Funner? :o :( :(

Oops. I meant more fun. Four hours of sleep a night can do wonders to the mind.
CometBelle

Postby sei » Tue 07.03.2007 4:57 pm

Infidel wrote:
Slavery will never happen again.

Unfortunately, people are naive to think this as it is happening right now. People may not be called "slaves", but they are indeed treated as slaves sometimes.

And there are also those who choose to be slaves for life. But that's a different story. :)
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby ruisu81 » Tue 07.03.2007 5:28 pm

Infidel wrote:Yes we can read about the Jewish Holocaust, but that would never happen again, because we know better.

Actually, in our lifetimes, there has been n o p e a c e and no end to genocide.
Last edited by ruisu81 on Tue 07.03.2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruisu81

Postby SenescenceReign » Tue 07.03.2007 6:28 pm

Infidel wrote:Yes we can read about the Jewish Holocaust, but that would never happen again, because we know better.

Never, Infidel? Maybe not exactly like that, but stranger things have happened.

And some countries do not teach that the Holocaust ever happened. They would prefer that no one knew about the Holocaust. Can't learn from it if people don't remember it.
/relurk
SenescenceReign

Re: any history buffs?

Postby Neko_no_Yuki » Thu 05.01.2008 11:50 am

Is there any one who likes to discuss samurai around the tokugawa shogunate. or the shinsengumi? Pm me if possible.
Neko_no_Yuki

Postby AJBryant » Thu 05.01.2008 5:11 pm

A couple of points.

One -- normally, I'd consider this an incredible necropost. Why not just start a new thread?

Second -- this is a message board type forum. As a rule, we don't encourage (and I personally don't like) messages where people say "Let's talk about something -- PM me." No. Let's talk about it in the FORUM, where people can participate and learn.

Third -- I'm a Japanese historian, but the bakumatsu period holds little interest for me. I hope someone comes along who can help.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Wakannai » Thu 05.01.2008 6:21 pm

AJBryant wrote:A couple of points.

One -- normally, I'd consider this an incredible necropost. Why not just start a new thread?

Second -- this is a message board type forum. As a rule, we don't encourage (and I personally don't like) messages where people say "Let's talk about something -- PM me." No. Let's talk about it in the FORUM, where people can participate and learn.

Third -- I'm a Japanese historian, but the bakumatsu period holds little interest for me. I hope someone comes along who can help.

Tony

Seeing this necropost also brings to my attention the blatant misquoting of Infidel. TWICE IN A ROW! This annoys me for some reason. Misquoting that is....Since the misquote was so long ago, I suppose there is no point of me reaching down their throats and ripping out their spleen for the misdeed.
Wakannai

Postby AJBryant » Fri 05.02.2008 3:29 pm

Wakannai wrote:Seeing this necropost also brings to my attention the blatant misquoting of Infidel. TWICE IN A ROW! This annoys me for some reason. Misquoting that is....Since the misquote was so long ago, I suppose there is no point of me reaching down their throats and ripping out their spleen for the misdeed.

I know what you mean.

I'm active on another forum where one loon-fringe guy regularly "quotes" other people in his posts and omits or adds words to set up straw men or make his opponents sound like idiots.

God, I hate that guy. He's one of the very few people on the 'Net I wish I could actually nuke from orbit.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Aikoh » Wed 05.07.2008 7:51 pm

AJBryant wrote:Third -- I'm a Japanese historian, but the bakumatsu period holds little interest for me. I hope someone comes along who can help.

I'm only a student who loves to read about history in her free time, so I am certainly no expert, but I have been a somewhat of a Shinsengumi fan for about five years now and I do quite a bit of research on them. I might be able to answer a few questions or point to other sources of information about the group. In addition to this being a necropost, though, it would also be a good idea to start a new thread because history is a very broad topic (especially in countries with many, many years worth of history like Japan or China). I think you would find more answers to your questions if you started a thread specific to the Bakumatsu.
Aikoh

Postby AJBryant » Wed 05.07.2008 8:10 pm

I have to admit to a certain dislike of the Shinsengumi.

Basically, they were governmentally sanctioned thugs and killers. Why do people like that become cult figures? I don't get it. Then again, I don't understand why people liked Tony Soprano...

Tony (not a soprano -- more of a baritone)
AJBryant
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to History and Literature Discussions