Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT 2 2008/2009

JLPT 2 2008/2009

The test - experiences, questions or comments

JLPT 2 2008/2009

Postby Txkun » Tue 04.29.2008 7:37 am

Hello everyone, how are you doing? :D
I hope everything is going smoothly there.

Like the past 4kyuu and 3kyuu, we had been enjoying the lessons very much. Like most people suggested, a good way to learn Japanese was to start in a structural approach. Personally, I agreed with this, as learning grammar points and their usage did help us to understand better how Japanese structures flow.

With 1000 kanji, almost 6000 words and more than 170 grammar points, the JLPT level 2 seems at first a dauting task. But so it was JLPT4 and 3. What I learnt studying on TJP is that with the help of everyone you can accomplish everything, especially here where members are so nice and helpful.
So, what about a JLPT2 study group?
What about working on this together? :D

I understand that not everyone needs to take the same route (JLPT order) to study
Japanese. For those that are planning to take 2kyuu this year or next year, you're welcomed to join in the group. If you're already above 2kyuu level, you're always welcomed to teach, or to furnish us with more explanations.

Thanks in advance.

edit:
this is the wiki page for the study group.
Last edited by Txkun on Sun 06.15.2008 2:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Re: JLPT 2 2008

Postby Gundaetiapo » Tue 04.29.2008 8:57 am

Though passing the exam this year is beyond my reach, I'd love to study with the group.
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

Postby ss » Tue 04.29.2008 11:01 am

Hello Txkun, thank you so much for creating this thread. I hope you’re doing fine too. :P
The clock is ticking and time is flying by extremely fast. It’s approaching May, ¼ of the year has gone.

With 1000 kanji, almost 6000 words and more than 170 grammar points, I too feel daunted by the task ahead. However, I agree with the idea, to study together in a group is really the best way to stay motivated in our JP studies. Let’s make it a fun and enjoyable study group again, shall we? Count me in, please.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby ss » Sat 05.03.2008 1:15 am

Only three of us?
I think Tanuki, Caroline, Katafei, Hiraikotsu, terence_hideyoshi, Enji(?), are still very busy with their studies or works. I hope to see them soon.

I’ve flipped through some grammar textbooks, and seriously, I really don’t know where to start. But, I’ve always found 「 完全マスター」(Complete Master Series-The JLPT Level 2 Grammar Exercises) a very good grammar guide book. So, I think we can make good use of the grammar points from there. There are about 170 grammar points with explanation sections followed by practice questions and relationships to other expressions.

The only thing about this book is, it is solely written in Japanese. I think, whether or not we are taking JLPT2 this year or next, it is a good start to practise comprehending passages without English explanations. We should slowly move into that direction from now on.

I’m still working on them. As some of them have been covered in JLPT4 & 3, I’m not so sure we need to go through them one by one. If you happen to know the meaning and common usage, you’re welcomed to share your example sentences here.

What do you think? Any comments or suggestions to go about it are warmly welcomed.

--------
Learning Kanji can be quite tough and challenging for some people. Please do tell how can we help each other?

--------
I tried to group grammar points as follows:
blue =四級・3級の文法

Group1
01.~として(は)、としても、としての (done) See page 5
02.~とともに
03.~ において(は)、においても、における
04.~に応じて,に応じ、仁応じた/
05.~にかわって、にかわり
06.~に比べて、に比べ
07.~にしたがって、にしたがい
08.~につれて、につれ
09.~に対して、に対し、に対しては、に対しても、に対する。(done)See Page 3
10.~について(は)、につき、についても、についての
11.~にとって(は)(done) See page 5 、にとっても、にとっての
12.~に伴って、に伴い、に伴う
13.~によって、により、による、によっては
14.~によると、によれば
15.~を中心に(して)、を中心として
16.~に問わず、~は問わず
17.~をはじめ、をはじめとする
18.~をもとに、をもとにして

Group 2
19.~うちに (done)
20.~うちに、ないうちに
21.~おかげで、おかげた (done) See Page 2
22.~かわりに
23.~くらい、ぐらい、くらいだ、ぐらいだ
24.~最中に、最中だ
25.~次第 (done)次第 & たび(に)
26.~せいだ、せいで、せいか (done)See Page 2
27.~たとたんに (done) 次第 / たび(に) / ~たとたん(に) / か~ないかのうちに
28.~たびに  (done) 次第 & たび(に)
29.~て以来
30.~とおり(に)、どおり(に)
31.~ところに、ところへ、ところを
32.~ほど、ほどだ、ほどの
33.~ばかりに
34.~ものだから
35.~ように、ような (L4/L3)

Group 3
36.~一方だ
37.~おそれがある
38.~ことになっている
39.~ことはない
40.~しかない (done) See Page 3
41.~ということだ
42.~まい、まいか (done) Page 6
43.~わけがない、わけはない
44.~わけにはいかない、わけにもいかない

Group 4
45.~から~にかけて
46.~たとえ~ても、たとえ~でも
47.~さえ~ば
48.…も…ば…も…, …も…なら…も…
49.~やら~やら
50.~だらけ
51.~っぽい
52.~がたい
53.~がちだ、がちの
54.~気味
55.~げ
56.~かけだ、かけの、かける
57.~きる、きれる、きれない
58.~ぬく

Group 5
59.~こそ、~からこそ
60.~さえ、~でさえ
61.~など、なんか、なんて
62.~に関して、に関しては、に関しても、に関する、 (done)See Page 3
63.~に加えて、に加え
64.~にこたえて、にこたえ、にこたえる、にこたえた
65.~に沿って、に沿い、に沿う、に沿った
66.~に反して、~に反し、~に反する、~に反した
67.~に基づいて、に基づき、に基づく、に基づいた
68.~にわたって、~にわたり、~にわたる、~にわたった
69.~ばかりか、ばかりでなく
70.~はもとより、はもちろん
71.~もかまわず
72.~をこめて
73.~を通じて、~を通して 
74.~をめぐって、をめぐる (done)

Group 6
75.~あまり
76.~一方…、一方で…、一方では…  
77.~上で、上の、上では、上でも、上での (done)
78.~かぎり(は)、かぎりでは、ないかぎり(は)
79.~(か)と思うと、(か)と思たっら 次第 / たび(に) / ~たとたん(に) / か~ないかのうちに
80.~か~ないかのうちに (done) 次第 / たび(に) / ~たとたん(に) / か~ないかのうちに
81.~からいうと、からいえば、からいって (done) Pls see this page
82.~からといって (done) See Page 2
83.~から見ると、から見れば,から見て(も) (done) Pls see this page
84.~きり(だ) (動詞)た形+きり
85.~くせに のくせに
86.~ことから
87.~ことに(は)
88.~上の、上は、上も
89.~た末(二)、た末の、の末(に)
90.~たところ
91.~ついでに
92.~と言うと、~と言えば、
93.~と言ったら
94.~というより
95.~ば~ほど
96.~ほど

Group 7
97.~かのようだ、かのような、かのように
98.~つつある
99.~てたまらない、~てしようがない
100.~てならない
101.~にきまっている
102.~にすぎない
103.~に相違ない
104.~に違いない
105.~べき、べきだ、べきではない このページをご参照ください。
106.~(より)ほか(は)ない、ほかしかたがない
107.~向きだ、向きに、向きの このスレッドをご参照ください。向き
108.~向けだ、向けに、向けのDitto. Thanks Coco-san.
109.~もの(です)か
110.~ものだ、ものではない
111.~わけだ
112.~わけではない、わけでもない
113.~っけ
114.~とか
115.~どころではない、どころではなく

Group 8
116.~からして (done) Pls see this page
117.~からすると、からすれば (done) Pls see this page
118.~からには、からは (done) See Page 2
119.~ことだから
120.~だけ、だけあって、だけに、だけの
121.~にあたって、にあたり
122.~にかけては、にかけても
123.~に際して、に際し、に際しての
124.~に先立って、~に先立ち、に先立つ
125.~にしたら、~にすれば、~にしても
126.~につき
127.~につけ、~につけて(は)、~につけても
128.~のもとで、~のもとに
129.~はともかく(として)
130.~をきっかけに(して)、をきっかけとして
131.~を契機に(して)、を契機として
132.~を~として、を~とする、を~とした

Group 9
133.~あげくに
134.~以上(は)
135.~上は
136.~ことなく
137.~際(は)、際に
138.~つつ、つつも
139.~てからでないと、てからでなければ
140.~といっても
141.~どころか (done)See Page 2
142.~としたら、とすれば
143.~ないことには
144.~ながら (done)
145.~にしては それにしても/それにしては
146.~にしろ、~にもせよ、にしても
147.~にかかわらず、~に(は)かかわりなく
148.~にもかかわらず
149.~ぬきで(は)、ぬきに(は)、ぬきの、をぬきにして(は、はぬきにして
150.~のみならず
151.~反面、~半面
152.~ものなら
153.~ものの
154.~わりに(は)

Group 10
155.~(よ)うではないか、(よ)うじゃないか
156.~得る、得ない
157.~かねない
158.~かねる
159.~ことか
160.~ことだ
161.~ざるを得ない ざるをえない vs しかない
162.~次第だ、次第では
163.~っこない
164.~というものだ
165.~というものではない、~というものでもない
166.~ないことはない、ないこともない (done) See Page 3
167.~ないではいられない、ずにはいられない
168.~に限って、~に限り、~に限る
169.~に限らず  
170.~にほかならない (done)See Page 3
171.~もの
172.~ものがある
173.~ようがない、ようもない
174.~たところで (done)See Page 2
175.~にすぎない (done) See Page 3
176.~ずにはいられない (done) See Page 3
Last edited by ss on Tue 11.25.2008 1:59 pm, edited 25 times in total.
ss

Postby katafei » Sat 05.03.2008 1:52 pm

Wow SSさん, that is one impressing (and daunting :wink: ) list!!!
Good work.
Yes, I'm definitely studying very hard for 2級, mostly working with the unicom books and any reading and listening material I can get my hands on. Unicom is all Japanese as well, but I'm writing my own English version with the help of JGram :) (otherwise I keep forgetting what all those examples sentences mean :? )
I've broken up both grammar and vocab in 'do-able' portions per month, leaving November for reviewing only 8)

Unfortunately I'm not much of a group person and those chatting sessions, though extremely useful, kept freaking me out. It's so stressfull to keep up with the pace :shock:

But maybe I should give it another try again....
are you taking 2級 this year after all? Let's just do it for fun :mrgreen:

And so now I've used almost any smiley available :arrow:

頑張りましょうね
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby enji » Sun 05.04.2008 4:25 am

Sorry, I procrastinated, thus the late post in this thread. :oops:

Anyway, I did JLPT2 last year but will be glad to join you guys for your preparation this year. :) But I don't know how much of the JLPT2 materials I can still remember, especially the grammar points. (The cons of studying for the sake of an exam.)

I used Kanzen Master for JLPT2 grammar preparation last year and I just follow the sequence in that book since I sort of studied by myself. Plus I'm really lazy to group things up. Yup, the list sure looks daunting at first, but once you started working on it, it won't be that hard. Comprehending materials fully in Japanese may seem like a barrier (it took me a while to get used to it too), but once you did it, you'll find your comprehension ability improves by leaps and bounds.

For me, the amount of vocabulary needed for JLPT2 is the most challenging. As I started my preparation very late last year, I found myself with not enough time to build the desired amount. I have a vocabulary list with me but memorising it out of context is very difficult and so I rarely touch it. I just try to read as much materials written in Japanese as possible. So it is best to start working on this earlier. But then this problem may be due to my circumstances as well.

Reading comprehension questions for JLPT2 is not that straight forward anymore. Also, a certain level of speed is required in order to finish the questions in time during the test. So all the more you should welcome books written solely in Japanese as translating during the test will be too time consuming IMHO.

That's all I can think of so far. To tell the truth, I'm still in no mood to start studying after all those exams last month. =P But it's good to have you guys to push me along. :D
言いたくても言えなくて
enji

Postby katafei » Sun 05.04.2008 5:34 am

Enji, you're a gem ^_^

I agree the vocab list is sheer hell. Learning words out of context is only margingly useful. But things do get easier as you go along, because the words will pop up everywhere.
Right now I'm taking a break from marking the necessary kanji in my dict (This way, I can leaf through the book occasionally and take them in, God, I'm very systematic, aren't I?).
When I learn words, i also take time to take in the meanings of the compound kanji and slowly it all comes together.

On the other hand, sometimes the hard disc seems to be full, and I wish I could do a system clean up in my brains. I find myself staring at a word, knowing I looked it up at least three times and still not remembering it.....
katafei

Postby ss » Sun 05.04.2008 8:19 am

Katafei, thanks for being honest here. It's glad to have you with us in the group, but please don't give yourself too much stress. Stressfulness is something I don’t enjoy too, that’s why I choose to learn through JLPT order. Thinking that way, I can at least keep up my momentum to grasp more advance grammar structures, meanwhile encourages others to stay motivated. That's the main goal. We are not going to take Master Degree of JLPT! :mrgreen:

Enji, thanks so much for your input. You seem able to manage your Uni stuffs and JP learning very well. Envy you! Your listening skill is super! Anyway, let's hear what Txkun and Gunda have to say.
ss

Postby Txkun » Sun 05.04.2008 12:38 pm

SS, thank you very much for your list. You did a grat job!
Thanks to everyone for their input. I didn't reply sooner since I wasn't at home (I had 4 holiday's day).

I would like to buy ASAP the "Kanzen Master for JLPT2" since I found the JLPT3 very clear and well made.
I'll search in online stores. What do knowledgeable people think of the "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar" book too?
Would be it useful for our study?

What about font coloring of the grammar points?
For example:

Legend: JLPT3 JLPT2
07.ながら
08.うちに
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby coco » Mon 05.05.2008 10:32 pm

Txkun、おひさしぶりです。 :)

2級受験予定の皆さん、
2008年は例年どおり12月に試験がありますが、2009(平成21)年からは、
7月(1級、2級のみ)と
12月(1級~4級)の2回の試験を行います。
告知されています。
準2級がどのような扱いになるのか現在ところ確実な情報はありませんが、前に訊いたところ によると5月中にも公式発表があるとのことでした。
いずれにしても来年以降は1級2級ともに年に2回、受験機会があります。

関連トピック

* Vocabulary and grammar marked with dark green are on the level 2 list.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 05.06.2008 10:56 am

katafei wrote:Enji, you're a gem ^_^

I agree the vocab list is sheer hell. Learning words out of context is only margingly useful. But things do get easier as you go along, because the words will pop up everywhere.
Right now I'm taking a break from marking the necessary kanji in my dict (This way, I can leaf through the book occasionally and take them in, God, I'm very systematic, aren't I?).
When I learn words, i also take time to take in the meanings of the compound kanji and slowly it all comes together.

On the other hand, sometimes the hard disc seems to be full, and I wish I could do a system clean up in my brains. I find myself staring at a word, knowing I looked it up at least three times and still not remembering it.....

You know, even learning vocabulary out of context can be overcome by using that word in as many conversational situations as you can the first day. I usually try to use any new word, vocabulary, or grammar principal I learn at least 5 times and try to use it 10 times that first day. Then I try to at least use it 3 times a day for the first week. then I try to use it at least once a week from then on. That way it doesn't get rusty. I will try to find the person who taught me this method. however his was more involved and more indepth but meant for long term memory retention.
two_heads_talking

Postby fielle » Tue 05.06.2008 11:47 am

I've been chipping away at the JLPT 2 information for a little while now, and I definitely could use more group-interaction to help with my learning. My biggest issue is the sheer number of seeming synonyms and figuring out the contextual differences and nuances of the words.

I definitely need to incorporate more phrases, sentences, and passages into my studying, but I'm still trying to figure out good sources. I have the Kanzen Master 2kyuu Grammar book and the grammar dictionaries, but finding sentences to match to vocabulary is a little trickier.

What other sources do people use to study?
fielle

Postby caroline » Wed 05.07.2008 9:19 am

Hello,

Well, I'm a bit late in answering, and please excuse me.

Yes, I will definitely join the group, though I do not intend to pass the test this year, but next (reviewed, then, I guess), having a bit more on my plate now (work related) than I can handle without deciding to tackle the whole daunting vocabulary this year (more daunting than grammar, though SS did a marvelous job about it!).

I work (or should be working) with the アスク books : grammar, reading and vocabulary, and also a sort of grammar dictionary (it lists the entries alphabetically indicating the 級 they belong to)(essential japanese expressions) with examples, also by アスク  and adequate vocabulary ; it's a useful complement to the textbook, and very useful when encoutering a grammar strctures not yet learnt ; but for the kanjis, I switched to "kanji in context", as it is more suited for someone with as little memory as I have : they keep repeating things, so it's bett'er. I hope that it will expand my vocabulary as well.

For JLPT3, I took a certain pleasure in the unicom and found very useful the Kanzen Master, - mine was with some english
explanations, though, the UNICOM was the one in japanese only - which I will try to get for 2級after I get a little bit closer to the exam for reviewing (it otherwise conforts my weakness for studying just to past the test, which is not my goal and to tell the truth, having passed the test does not help me a great deal when confronted to speaking in real life).

I would like to buy ASAP the "Kanzen Master for JLPT2" since I found the JLPT3 very clear and well made.
I'll search in online stores

You'll find it at the japanshop here.... and it does seem to be japanese only.

As for listening, I'm resigned to bore myself to oblivion with J-dramas ; it was the only thing I could do last month, and the whole of 冬のソナタ left me thinking I could understand something, but probably not beyond soap...

So I will gladly participate in the group, even though my aim is a bit farther than most.
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby katafei » Thu 05.08.2008 10:17 am

Is it about time to try and set dates?
SS, did you mean to go through one group of grammar points per chat-session? I noticed you made about 5 groups, so that could equal one session per month roughly.
But as the there are so many grammar points, maybe it's an idea to divide them among the participants, so we can all create some exercises? That is a difficult task :wink: , but we could try.
Okay, that's me just brainstorming on the spot. Most of us have books we can borrow ideas from, I guess.

I can imagine we all need a bit of time preparing for each session, as we all follow a different path.
I definitely did not come across
11.に関して、に関しては、に関しても、に関する、
12.に対して、に対し、に対しては、に対しても、に対する。
13.をめぐって、をめぐる
yet :mrgreen:

@Caroline, are you learning vocab in alphabetical order? I started out that way, but I found it way too difficult. There's no way I can memorise 20 Japanese words all starting with 'ka' in one day (fictional example), so I switched them 'round to the English alphabetical order. It's a little bit easier.....
katafei

Postby caroline » Thu 05.08.2008 11:39 am

katafei wrote:
@Caroline, are you learning vocab in alphabetical order? I started out that way, but I found it way too difficult. There's no way I can memorise 20 Japanese words all starting with 'ka' in one day (fictional example), so I switched them 'round to the English alphabetical order. It's a little bit easier.....

Well, it's the grammar expression dictionary that is in alphabetical order... which is useful when looking for something. Not my vocablary list. Which I don't have.

For vocabulary, really congrats if you can learn lists, whatever language you start from... I could not do that. I'm a big fan of something popular onTJP, "context". What's more, I think those words on lists would not stick in (to?) my memory long enough to be useful.

So, I have decided not to learn words (which bores me), but to get as much as possible in context : while doing grammar, reading, what we do in my japanese class (videos mostly), whatever I get my hands on; it may not cover the entire JLPT2, but I'm not going to get bored to death - and probably to no avail - with learning lists of words in order to pass an exam. I'm just hoping whatever level of proficiency I have that day will be enough by the time I take the test.

I nevertheless have a vocabulary book, but it's ordered by topics : from the "let's do some cooking" to "what kind of people do you dislike"? And more fun, the reading book, from "examination details" to "opinion articles", not to mention "medical articles". Both are labelled 2級, so I guess I should have enough vocabulary to get by when needed. That's the closest I can go to lists.

I am aware that it's a luxury to have this approach, but my goal is not JLPT - which I nevertheless take as seriously as I can - : passing JLPT is what people around me call an expression of a twisted sense of fun, or more seriously just something to keep as a reminder of what I have learnt.

Nevertheless, back to the workgroup, I'm quite willing to split up the grammar and look for sentences for some parts, quizz and so on. But my agenda being a lit slackier than most, I will not set the pace, but adapt to whatever those passing the test this year will decide.

Not to mention : the working group we have had the past 2 years on TJP and are getting up now is really a pleasure to be part of ! :D
caroline

Native language: Français

Next

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test