Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Ads at TJP--Suggestions and Comments

Ads at TJP--Suggestions and Comments

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Ads at TJP--Suggestions and Comments

Postby clay » Fri 05.02.2008 10:46 am

In the next few weeks, I will be working on adding a few new ads to generate a little revenue. Most noticeably, I will add more emphasis on the Friends network. Before the move we were bringing in enough advertising revenue to cover the costs and then some. But now it doesn't even come close :cry:

I mention this because I would love to hear your opinion on how the ads affect your enjoyment of the site. For example would a top banner be too annoying? Would an ad in the center of an article be too distracting? My main goal of course is to make this site useful. Adding ads is a way to enable this to happen, but it could also take away from that goal.

I certainly don't mean this post as a plea for financial help! We are doing fine :) The Japan Shop can easily subsidize TJP in the short term. But because I want this site to be here in the long term, I'd love to hear comments and suggestions as we add ads.

Also, please see our new arrival announcement here!
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Re: Ads at TJP--Suggestions and Comments

Postby Wakannai » Fri 05.02.2008 2:33 pm

no flashy click to win adds or you might have a virus, click here or your computer will explode adds.
Wakannai

Postby phreadom » Fri 05.02.2008 2:53 pm

I suppose I'd say to go ahead and add them and we'll see how they look. I'll have to disable AdBlockPlus to get the average user experience. :P

(Yes, I use it. I'm not a fan of ads.)

I'd say for the most part I don't mind ads as long as they aren't the kind Wakannai mentioned. The annoying kind.

Ads in the articles are fine as long as they're not too distracting. I really don't like the kind that turn certain words into links with popup bubbles... I hate those.

Maybe move the Friends to the top right where people will notice them more... faces catch your attention. And move the Objective Trading ad where Friends is now.

I'm not sure about a banner ad at the top of the page... it seems like that would be pretty disruptive to the feel of the site.

My $0.02.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby clay » Fri 05.02.2008 3:20 pm

no flashy click to win adds or you might have a virus, click here or your computer will explode adds.

Absolutely! I should have mentioned I in no way mean flashy 'click to claim your prize' popups, popunders, or any other obviously annoying stuff. :)

I'll play with the Friends ads a little. I am supposed to get some new and nifty Friends codes over the weekend. I'll try an ad that is only one block, but alternates between recent photos. That way it won't eat up tons of space but will be much more visible.

I really don't like the kind that turn certain words into links with popup bubbles... I hate those.

Yes, me too. That is a definite no no.

Thanks!
Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby Snowflake » Fri 05.02.2008 5:36 pm

As long as the ads are tasteful and well designed, I can't see any problem. I wholeheartedly agree with the "no flashy, no strobe-y, no pupup bubbles (gah, how annoying!)" sentiments expressed above.

Regarding Friends... well, I have to admit, that one really doesn't appeal to me. I'm most definitely not the demographic Friends is trying to reach, so that may be a factor in my opinion of it. Personally, I'd prefer to have Friends remain right where it is, or maybe even have it drop waaaaaaay to the bottom of the page where I can't see it unless I deliberately scroll down there :D.

By the same token, if Friends is the money-maker and if it's a choice of Friends or no TJP, bring on the Friends :).

Given what you've done with the site so far, I have all faith that you'll make good decisions and everything will look simply splendid.
Snowflake

Native language: English

Postby clay » Fri 05.02.2008 5:41 pm

Given what you've done with the site so far, I have all faith that you'll make good decisions and everything will look simply splendid.

Wow. Thanks! I appreciate that. (now for the popunders... Just kidding)

I'd prefer to have Friends remain right where it is, or maybe even have it drop waaaaaaay to the bottom of the page where I can't see it unless I deliberately scroll down there

You can actually go to your User Account page and turn off the Friends block. :) Or if you occasionally want to see it (for the interesting English), just click on the header that says 'Friends' and it will collapse.

You can turn off ANY block (I believe) both now and in the future.
clay
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 05.02.2008 6:11 pm

I agree with what most of the other posters have said. As long as there are no annoying, flashing and buzzing, pop-ups or pop-unders, go for it! This is a great site and I think we all realize that it needs ad revenue to keep it up and running.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sat 05.03.2008 2:34 pm

The left sidebar is missing from some forum pages, such as "View active topics" which I access regularly. Don't know if that would make a difference.
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

Postby clay » Sat 05.03.2008 8:56 pm

The left sidebar is missing from some forum pages, such as "View active topics" which I access regularly. Don't know if that would make a difference.

Yes, that will eventually be fixed. The people I hired to theme the forum didn't do a very good job. We were lucky to have Phreadom come along when he did to save the day. He will eventually fully theme the forums. 8)
clay
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions