Japanese, general discussion on the language

Are you a 僕 or an 俺?

40%
20%
40%

Total votes : 25

僕 or 俺

Postby Ben_a_hunt » Sat 05.03.2008 4:18 am

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago...

Are you a 僕 or an 俺. I'm well aware that 俺 has an ego thing with it, and 僕 is a humble waying of saying it..
But what are you "generally". I personally use 僕 at work or to my Wife's parents, and 俺 for friends.

I was just wondering what people thought of it, and what they use generally..

Thanks
~Problems aren't an excuse for us to give up, they're a reason for us to try harder~
Ben_a_hunt

Native language: English

Re: 僕 or 俺

Postby Shirasagi » Sat 05.03.2008 2:04 pm

As a non-Japanese, I am perforce 僕 in probably 80% of my interactions. At the office, at kendo, and with most strangers I talk to. I'm 俺 with my girlfriend, and a few male friends (all of whom are younger than me) when the sake's flowing freely. I daresay it's roughly the same for a Japanese man of my age and profession, with the caveat that they of course have extended family they can be 俺 to.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby spin13 » Sat 05.03.2008 3:13 pm

I'd same I'm about spot on with what Josh said, although I'm perhaps a little more liberal with 俺 in that it gets used with one or two females who aren't my girlfriend and an occasional male friend older than myself. I will say however that occasionally I do get teased for using 俺 with said persons, although I have certainly heard some of them (including one of the girls) use it for themselves.

I'd also throw ミ ("me") into the mix although mostly as playful, yet somewhat endearing, jest. I don't use it all that often, but its a comfortably casual, yet soft, way to refer to myself in the presence of friends who would otherwise be "above" me. Mostly, women five to ten years older than myself.

My personal favorite, however, is 俺様. It's the best Japanese joke I know.

-Eric
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby AJBryant » Sat 05.03.2008 3:38 pm

I actually tend to favor 拙者 and 某. It's the medieval historian in me. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Takoyaki » Sun 05.04.2008 6:44 am

After two years I am still in the habit of using 私 for some reason. But I would say due to how I have seen certain people view the word 俺 in my experience, it would cause me to lean toward 僕 in informal situations. But 俺 looks like 竜 doesn't it. It makes me want to use it if I were a martial arts master とか. :mrgreen:
Takoyaki

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 05.04.2008 9:08 pm

I'm generally 私 at work with customers or my boss.
僕 sometimes at work, mostly うち. Now that I think of it I say うち alot. I think perhaps 80% of my interactions are うち. 俺 is generally reserved for when I'm pissed drunk, or pissed off.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby AJBryant » Sun 05.04.2008 10:06 pm

C'mon, Keith, live a little. Next time at work, use soregashi. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Ben_a_hunt » Mon 05.05.2008 12:18 am

Well!

Thanks for all the replies!
They're helpful in me judging how normal my Japanese is compared to others users/learners of the language.

I have to admit, I've used 拙者 once or twice to a couple of Japanese males friends. Suffice to say they were slightly shocked and began laughing uncontrolably for about 15 minutes.... Which was my plan all along! (of course :oops: )

But yeah, I think I agree with what most people have said, although I've never really used 私 almost AT ALL. I don't know why, it always made me feel disconnected from the person I was talking to. I'm a personal person, I like to feel like a friend to the person I'm talking to. Although it gets me in trouble sometimes when I don't use 敬語 when I should...

Also a note on the うち. I've heard this quite alot before, isn't it Kansai dialect? I'm not entirely sure though....
Would appreciate anyone filling me in!
~Problems aren't an excuse for us to give up, they're a reason for us to try harder~
Ben_a_hunt

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 05.05.2008 11:30 am

Ben_a_hunt wrote:
Also a note on the うち. I've heard this quite alot before, isn't it Kansai dialect? I'm not entirely sure though....
Would appreciate anyone filling me in!

While they may use it in Kansai, it is not specifically a Kansai dialect. Certain folks use it in the Tohoku region as well. Although I wouldn't call it a common usage, it is used. I would say it's used more commonly amongst middle aged to older people, or at least that was my experience with those who used it.

uchi and uchi no yatsu were pretty commonly used to refer to the head of the household and his spouse. In fact if I do remember correctly, that the spouse would even refer to herself as uchi no yatsu.

(edit) I voted ore, but that's only because I am older and cantancerous alot lately.
two_heads_talking

Postby Shirasagi » Mon 05.05.2008 12:45 pm

Ben_a_hunt wrote:But yeah, I think I agree with what most people have said, although I've never really used 私 almost AT ALL. I don't know why, it always made me feel disconnected from the person I was talking to. I'm a personal person, I like to feel like a friend to the person I'm talking to. Although it gets me in trouble sometimes when I don't use 敬語 when I should...

It's best to get out of that way of thinking as soon as you can. How close you are to someone doesn't really have all that much to do with whether you use keigo or not. For some Japanese, their closest, most intimate relationships may be someone with whom they use polite speech.

Regarding うち, I tend to use it when speaking of my family. E.g., うちのお母さん (casual), or うちの姉 (formal)
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 05.06.2008 12:39 am

Not being a man, I'm neither... I use 私 when talking to my students/customers, and あたし , うち or ベッキー when talking to friends.

My husband usually uses 俺, but he says that he'll use 僕 or 私 when speaking with his boss. Sometimes when he's feeling silly he uses ミー or おいら.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Hardi_E » Mon 05.12.2008 8:03 am

Since I'm still rookie in learning Japanese. I have only used わたし so far.
But... 

ぼく は おれ です、 でも ときどき おれ は ぼく です。 おれ が おもいます :mrgreen:
わたし の にほんご は まだまだ です、 でも わたし が がんばります。 すみません。 :|
Hardi_E

Native language: エストニアご

Postby caroline » Mon 05.12.2008 8:52 am

Nice insight into male torments....
One of the very few times (except the 100 one listed by Cosmo) when it's easier to be a girl, with less choice.
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 05.12.2008 9:58 am

caroline wrote:Nice insight into male torments....
One of the very few times (except the 100 one listed by Cosmo) when it's easier to be a girl, with less choice.

Maybe we don't have quite as many choices as the guys, but there are still plenty of "I"s for the ladies as well. わたくし、わたし、あたくし、あたし、あたい、うち and I've heard some little girls use 僕 or ぼくちん. And if you go far enough north you may still find some grannies who use おら. :mrgreen:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby caroline » Mon 05.12.2008 11:18 am

becki_kanou wrote:Not being a man, I'm neither... I use 私 when talking to my students/customers, and あたし , うち or ベッキー when talking to friends.
Maybe we don't have quite as many choices as the guys, but there are still plenty of "I"s for the ladies as well. わたくし、わたし、あたくし、あたし、あたい、うち and I've heard some little girls use 僕 or ぼくちん. And if you go far enough north you may still find some grannies who use おら.

It's true there are quite a lot of "I"s for ladies, but when it comes to actual use and possibility, as you said yourself, we can usually go by without too many difficulties with just a few choices, once clear on the fact of being a grown up but not yet a granny... :lol:
I discounted the おら I heard in Hokkaido..., thinking they were the feminime equivalent of さあ; it seems I was totally wrong! :mrgreen:
caroline

Native language: Français

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion