Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Computer issues

Computer issues

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Computer issues

Postby Princesskana » Sun 05.11.2008 11:13 am

Konnichiwa! I am having some issues with my computer about Japanese translation. I can read Japanese on the internet, but I can't when I try to do something else. I have these notes in a PDF file that go with an MP3 on my ipod. My ipod doesn't read PDF, it only does .txt files. I can change the PDF into a .txt file, yet it doesn't read any of the Japanese. I tried looking at the one translator site in the fourm, yet 1/2 of it was in Japanese, and I am not proficient in any way, shape, or form. So can some one help me so I can study Japanese on the bus? Also I have tried to change the PDF into a word file, the Japanese turns into boxes. But when I copy and paste Kanji from this site onto word, it can read it.

Please help if you know what I need to do.
I also had NO clue where to put this so I guessed. Hopefully this is the right place. :lol:
Princesskana

Re: Computer issues

Postby spin13 » Sun 05.11.2008 12:07 pm

I know it sounds crazy and all, but we once used paper and ink to pass on information from generation to generation. As cumbersome as it sounds, it was actually an improvement on an even older tradition involving stone tablets and mountain tops. Archaeologists say the use of these paper "books" spread from culture to culture and country to country for ages. Some brave men even dared to keep such treasures in large fortresses ruled by strict women in glasses and buns in their hair. I think they called them "libraries".

On a more serious note, I think you'll find you have a lot fewer computer problems if you don't use computers. I can't remember the last time I was reading a book and it malfunctioned.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby Princesskana » Sun 05.11.2008 12:30 pm

wow. if you are not a comedian, you really missed your calling. I actually DID find a book in my school library that was kinda like a learning Japanese book, yet... It was kinda old and most of the words I really didn't need to know for a beginner. My public library, I live too far away to go. I live in the middle of NOWHERE. So, yeah, I do use paper and pencil... a lot actually. That's how I actually memorize stuff, so I should most likely stop. Also I stall when I am on the computer really really badly. I would go to a library more often. In study hall, it's a sanctuary. My study hall teachers, not nice. Oh yeah, and I did have a malfunctiong book once. 20 pages were missing! and it was a fiction book, and I was CONFUSED. Never went to that bookstore again.
Princesskana

Postby Wakannai » Sun 05.11.2008 1:39 pm

OK, I hate pdfs with a passion. It's as if nothing ever seems to work with them. However, I did used to subscribe to the pdf edition of hiragana times. I never tried converting, but I did have to install the special eastern characters into the reader program seperately.

As far as the conversion goes, if you set the default encoding for programs to Japanese with your computer, the conversion should go better.
Wakannai

Postby chikara » Sun 05.11.2008 11:46 pm

Princesskana wrote:..... I can change the PDF into a .txt file, yet it doesn't read any of the Japanese. .....

What method are you using to "change" the PDF file into a .txt file?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Princesskana » Mon 05.12.2008 5:32 pm

well, I click something up in edit that says change to text file. I am not a huge computer geek, SO I might just try something and who knows? I'll try fiddeling with it some more. :)
Princesskana

Postby Sky Render » Wed 05.14.2008 1:39 am

Princesskana wrote:Konnichiwa! I am having some issues with my computer about Japanese translation. I can read Japanese on the internet, but I can't when I try to do something else. I have these notes in a PDF file that go with an MP3 on my ipod. My ipod doesn't read PDF, it only does .txt files. I can change the PDF into a .txt file, yet it doesn't read any of the Japanese. I tried looking at the one translator site in the fourm, yet 1/2 of it was in Japanese, and I am not proficient in any way, shape, or form. So can some one help me so I can study Japanese on the bus? Also I have tried to change the PDF into a word file, the Japanese turns into boxes. But when I copy and paste Kanji from this site onto word, it can read it.

Please help if you know what I need to do.
I also had NO clue where to put this so I guessed. Hopefully this is the right place. :lol:

So your issue is that your iPod will not display the Japanese properly? Or does the .txt file not display any Japanese even on your computer? (If this is the case, it probably looks garbled.)

What you need to try to do is to set your non-unicode system settings to Japanese. If you use Windows XP, click here. (You DON'T have to change your 'regional' settings, with the money symbols and dates and so forth. You just need to change the advanced tab language.) The steps should be similar for Windows Vista. I don't know how to do this with in OSX. You will probably need to install Eastern Language Support if you have not yet done so and you will need your Windows CD for this. After you change this setting you can restart your computer. Japanese will now display properly in many more programs (but NOT all programs). Try converting your PDF to text again and see if the Japanese is there. If it is not then your problem is with your PDF converter. It is possible that there isn't a good English program that will perform this function and retain the Asian characters. You may have to copy some of the information yourself either by copy/pasting or by typing it out yourself (which is a pain if you aren't used to doing it, though I guess it would be good practice).
Sky Render

Postby chikara » Wed 05.14.2008 3:01 am

Princesskana wrote:well, I click something up in edit that says change to text file. ....
By "up in the edit" I assume you mean the Edit menu. Are you using Adobe Acrobat?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Japanese General Discussion