Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - writinf difficulties

writinf difficulties

Japanese, general discussion on the language

writinf difficulties

Postby chocomamma » Sun 05.11.2008 11:58 pm

Ok I know this is an odd question but I have been practicing my writing hiragana and I have noticed that certain ones no matter how many times I write them, they never quite look exactly like the examples. They are quite close but will that cause a problem later for testing if my characters are a little off? Some of them are quite difficult to get 100% correct and I am starting to curse my poor writing skills at the moment :x Has anyone else had the same problem and even if it is a little off will others still be able to know the character you are meaning or does it have to be perfect?
chocomamma

Re: writinf difficulties

Postby chikara » Mon 05.12.2008 1:51 am

Have you ever seen examples of hand written Japanese?

Can you read English (assuming English is your first language) hand written in a cursive hand?

I don't believe it will be a problem if your characters are a "little off" :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby JaySee » Mon 05.12.2008 6:36 am

As it's a whole different script, you basically have to re-learn how to write all over again: when I look at my Japanese handwriting when I just started studying the language several years ago, it was almost as ugly as my handwriting of the alphabet when I was 5. But if you keep practicing regularly, writing the kana will eventually become second nature and their shapes will start looking much better and more natural. And as Chikara said, it would probably also be a good idea to look at some native Japanese handwriting for comparison and reference.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby Shirasagi » Mon 05.12.2008 6:38 am

It could be worse. You could be left-handed...
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby caroline » Mon 05.12.2008 7:42 am

Shirasagi wrote:It could be worse. You could be left-handed...

Well, yes, it is worse, but it has really gotten worse with kanjis.
Try to have a natural movement of the hand just for 顔 when left-handed!
Contrary to what JaySee said, I'm afraid my writing is as ugly in japanese as it is in english..., whatever the practice, but probably more understandable, as would a schoolgirl writing : not too twisted yet. :lol:
caroline

Native language: Français

Postby chocomamma » Mon 05.12.2008 12:01 pm

Thanks! I write them every day and I know that some are looking more natural and I have an easier time with some of them. THe worst part is my hand position. The book I have says to keep your hand upright and only now is it starting to feel a little more natural. I am having fun with it though :lol:
chocomamma

Return to Japanese General Discussion