Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - General Host Family Advice!

General Host Family Advice!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

General Host Family Advice!

Postby hplinkett » Mon 05.19.2008 5:16 am

Hey folks!

So I'm packin' up and leavin' for Japan in 2 weeks, and I couldn't be more excited! One of my friends and I will be staying in apartments near Kanazawa Institute of Technology, where we'll be taking classes for 6 weeks. As part of the program, we spend one weekend with a host family. Frankly, that's the part I'm most nervous about!

So, my intention is to start a general thread where people can post any and all advice they have toward staying with a host family (dining etiquette, how to refer to the host family members, gift ideas, making sure to shut the bathroom door, etc.). Hopefully someone can help put my anxiety to rest and help out any future travelers as well.

Apologies in advance if there's already been a similar post! (I searched a bit to try and make sure!)

Thanks, and happy posting!

-H. Plinkett
hplinkett

Re: General Host Family Advice!

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 05.19.2008 6:24 am

Basically, just try to be polite and friendly and use as much Japanese as you can.

Call your home-stay parents お父さん (otousan) and お母さん(okaasan) and any home-stay siblings by their name + さん [san] (you can also use ちゃん [chan] for girls, or 君 [kun] for boys, if they're significantly younger than you).

As for gifts, something small that represents your home town/ home country is good; eg: stickers, pencils, postcards, key rings or non-perishable snacks from your local area. Just remember not to give anything in multiples of four. Bringing pictures of your family, pets, friends, school, and town is also a good idea and can be a great conversation starter.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby coco » Mon 05.19.2008 9:18 am

coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 05.19.2008 9:52 am

hplinkett wrote:
Apologies in advance if there's already been a similar post! (I searched a bit to try and make sure!)

Thanks, and happy posting!

-H. Plinkett

it's ok, cocosan saved your search-fu by posting up 6 posts that are similar.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 05.19.2008 10:39 am

Perhaps this belongs in a Wiki.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan