Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Erin ga choosen - Nihongo dekimasu!

Erin ga choosen - Nihongo dekimasu!

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Erin ga choosen - Nihongo dekimasu!

Postby sushi4ever » Mon 05.19.2008 4:29 am

hey everyone!

i stumbled upon this new tv/video course and i'd really like to know if anyone here has ever used it before!
clay sells it in his shop so i guess chances are good finding someone here...

i found some episodes on the net and they looked quite entertaining so i'm starting to wonder if i should actually buy the course.

oh, here's the link to volume 1 in clay's shop:
http://www.thejapanshop.com/product.php?productid=17220&cat=70&page=1

there are 3 volumes and i'd really like to know what you think of it!

thanks in advance!! :mrgreen:
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Re: Erin ga choosen - Nihongo dekimasu!

Postby clay » Mon 05.19.2008 7:13 am

A few years ago the series was on NHK. I watched several episodes through TV Japan and thought it was very strange. It was very well done, but the grammar points covered were pretty basic (beginner level). I thought, by the time someone can understand the dialog (everything is in Japanese), they should darn well know the grammar point being covered.

Of course when the textbook came out I understood the show was supposed to be watched with the textbook. Now I think the series is great for beginners. ..But since I haven't personally sat down with the textbook and watched the episodes, I can't speak on its effectiveness.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby piepiepie75 » Mon 05.19.2008 10:36 am

I had seen clips of this scattered across the internet and was quite bewildered at the all-Japanese approach. I could see that they tried to make the Japanese a bit easier than average, especially during the skits, but as clay said, I couldn't understand why someone would be using this series if they could understand it all.

I haven't seen the textbook, but I suppose it does offer an explanation for the all-Japanese approach. I might have tried to get the textbook and series if I were just starting out still.
piepiepie75

Postby monkeykoder » Mon 05.19.2008 4:32 pm

I sometimes wonder if using English in a Japanese classroom (once beyond the first semester) is ever useful. Once a basic vocabulary is established almost all grammar points can be better explained in Japanese. Of course this is coming from the perspective of someone that doesn't know much Japanese but I know what learning environments make sense to me.
monkeykoder

Native language: English

Postby sushi4ever » Mon 05.19.2008 4:56 pm

i agree with clay there, i watched like 17 episodes or so now and the grammar is really basic so, on second thought, purchasing all 3 volumes will not make any sense since i'll outgrow it way too soon.

at least the videos are good as a supplement, being all japanese and entertaining (although i find erin to be portrayed a little too dull...)

edit: i think "daft" would be a better word to describe her... ^^"
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips