Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby Kudo Masaki » Sat 05.17.2008 10:49 pm

I have been emersing myself in the Japanese language, listening to Japanese music and all that and even going to sites and putting them to Japanese if its an option, what do you think of this? Is this a good study habit?
User avatar
Kudo Masaki
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun 07.22.2007 7:32 pm

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby Wakannai » Sat 05.17.2008 11:12 pm

immersion without study won't take you very far very fast. You will still have to formally study the Japanese.
Wakannai
 
Posts: 658
Joined: Thu 10.18.2007 6:38 am

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 05.17.2008 11:16 pm

Immersing yourself in Japanese that you barely understand (or don't understand at all) is nearly useless in terms of building your language skills. Also, it doesn't count as immersion if there are subtitles or translations.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 05.17.2008 11:45 pm

You're attempting to surround yourself with Japanese. Not immerse.

This tactic alone won't assure you of any progress; that takes active effort. But there is little chance of it hurting anything and it does increase your exposure to the language. And goodness knows there is no substitute for exposure.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
User avatar
Mike Cash
 
Posts: 2737
Joined: Sun 08.20.2006 3:38 am
Native language: English

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby Kudo Masaki » Sun 05.18.2008 10:16 pm

Im trying to familiarize myself to the language in general, I understand most of it so Im good at that part, Im working on getting more fluent.
User avatar
Kudo Masaki
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun 07.22.2007 7:32 pm

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby Kudo Masaki » Sun 05.18.2008 10:21 pm

Wakannai wrote:immersion without study won't take you very far very fast. You will still have to formally study the Japanese.

And I do study, everyday, thanks. :)
User avatar
Kudo Masaki
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun 07.22.2007 7:32 pm

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 05.18.2008 10:34 pm

Kudo Masaki wrote:Im trying to familiarize myself to the language in general, I understand most of it so Im good at that part, Im working on getting more fluent.


What do you mean by "I understand most of it"? If that's actually true you don't really need to study Japanese anymore.
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 05.18.2008 10:51 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:What do you mean by "I understand most of it"? If that's actually true you don't really need to study Japanese anymore.


Snarky comments regarding people with inflated estimates of their ability aside, I'm of the opinion you should study until you know all of it. And then study some more. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
User avatar
Harisenbon
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue 06.14.2005 3:24 am
Location: Gifu, Japan
Native language: (poor) English

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 05.19.2008 7:40 am

Harisenbon wrote: I'm of the opinion you should study until you know all of it. And then study some more. ;)


I'd be happy with 50%. ;-)
-Chris Kern
User avatar
Yudan Taiteki
 
Posts: 5609
Joined: Wed 11.01.2006 11:32 pm
Native language: English

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby Kudo Masaki » Mon 05.19.2008 5:48 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Kudo Masaki wrote:Im trying to familiarize myself to the language in general, I understand most of it so Im good at that part, Im working on getting more fluent.


What do you mean by "I understand most of it"? If that's actually true you don't really need to study Japanese anymore.

Well not most of it, I do tend to get to know what is which by looking at it though, I tend to make out what it means sometimes, Im not getting my words right, gomenasai.
User avatar
Kudo Masaki
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun 07.22.2007 7:32 pm

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby Oracle » Mon 05.19.2008 6:29 pm

Immersing yourself in another language is very difficult to do unless you're in that country, but in my opinion anything that forces you to think about the language is good: things like putting a post-it note on every object in your room with the Japanese name on etc. Watching an hour of Japanese dvds consistently everyday (btw drama and normal programs with people talking if possible, rather than anime), or having Japanese net radio with lots of talking going in the background all the time so you're getting used to the sound of the language, even when you're not specifically concentrating on it.
If you're not in-country though these things should be in addition to 'normal' study of Japanese.
User avatar
Oracle
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon 02.13.2006 9:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 05.19.2008 8:02 pm

One thing that just stood out for me is that you mentioned that you were puting websites into Japanese if they have that option? Do you mean if the site is multilingual (like slashdot or cnet) you put it into Japanese, or do you use an online translation function like google has (Translate this)? If it's the former, it could be good practice but if it's the latter, you need to keep in mind that the translations that you get from an online translator will not resemble real Japanese in the least.

For example, I translated a page into Japanese through google and the phrase "Home" in the navigation bar was written as "家" in Japanese. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
User avatar
Harisenbon
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue 06.14.2005 3:24 am
Location: Gifu, Japan
Native language: (poor) English

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby Kudo Masaki » Wed 05.21.2008 6:00 pm

Harisenbon wrote:One thing that just stood out for me is that you mentioned that you were puting websites into Japanese if they have that option? Do you mean if the site is multilingual (like slashdot or cnet) you put it into Japanese, or do you use an online translation function like google has (Translate this)? If it's the former, it could be good practice but if it's the latter, you need to keep in mind that the translations that you get from an online translator will not resemble real Japanese in the least.

For example, I translated a page into Japanese through google and the phrase "Home" in the navigation bar was written as "家" in Japanese. ;)

I mean like myspace.com, it can go to myspace.co.jp, thats what I mean, I dont use no google translator. xD

I also watch Ninja Warrior and Unbeatable Banzuke to study as well sometimes, it takes me a minute to understand but I get it sometimes.
User avatar
Kudo Masaki
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun 07.22.2007 7:32 pm

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 05.22.2008 9:25 am

Kudo Masaki wrote:I dont use no google translator. xD.


so, you do use a translator huh? or do you just fail to understand the double negative uses? :twisted: :shock:
User avatar
two_heads_talking
 
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby AJBryant » Thu 05.22.2008 12:15 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
Kudo Masaki wrote:I dont use no google translator. xD.


so, you do use a translator huh? or do you just fail to understand the double negative uses? :twisted: :shock:


For the record, I always figured if I was ever in legal trouble, I could make a great point of avoiding perjury by a judicious usage of the double negative. :twisted:


Tony
User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Location: Indiana
Native language: English
Gender: Male

Next

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests