Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - programming / puroguramu suru

programming / puroguramu suru

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

programming / puroguramu suru

Postby gabehabe » Mon 05.19.2008 11:29 am

Is anyone here interested in programming?

If yeah, which languages do you know? My main languages are C/C++ but I know bits from about 10 different languages ^^"

And to add to that, is anyone here interested in learning to program in exchange for helping me to learn Japanese? I can teach you the basics of any programming language, or I could teach you a whole bunch of stuff in C++ :D
gabehabe

Re: programming / puroguramu suru

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 05.19.2008 7:57 pm

I think a large percentage of the people on this board are into / have dabbled in programming, but that might just be the fact that this is the internet.

I've done PHP, Javascript (and thus a little AJAX), Java, C, Lisp, VB, Actionscript and currently work in C# for most of my work projects.
I've always wanted to move into real C++ (not the .net version) for some cross-compatibility goodness, but to be honest C++ scares the holy crap out of me after working in C for so long. :D
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby gabehabe » Mon 05.19.2008 8:11 pm

haha, the conversion from C to C++ is actually really simple, honestly! (I did it the other way around, but there really isn't too much of a difference)

If you want, I could help you move on to C++ :)
gabehabe

Postby chikara » Mon 05.19.2008 9:06 pm

I can write functioning programs in Cobol, Pascal, RPG, Java, C, C++, Delphi, VB (we all have skeletons in our closets :oops: ). I can also use JavaScript, various shell scripting languages and O/S specific control languages.

gabehabe wrote:.... I know bits from about 10 different languages ...

I know "bits" from about 10 different spoken languages but there are only a couple I can hold a conversation in :)

gabehabe wrote:haha, the conversion from C to C++ is actually really simple, honestly! .... there really isn't too much of a difference ....

:shock:

C is a procedural programming language, C++ is an object orientated programming language. I'd be very wary of taking OO programming advice from someone who believes that there isn't much of a difference.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Oracle » Mon 05.19.2008 11:23 pm

I'm a Java developer (and also an Oracle DBA - did lots of heavy PL/SQL coding previously)
Oracle

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Mon 05.19.2008 11:31 pm

Oracle wrote:I'm a Java developer (and also an Oracle DBA - did lots of heavy PL/SQL coding previously)

Oracle-san the Oracle DBA :)

I imagine that you are using Java EE then.

I guess I should add programming in SQL, embedded SQL and SQL CLI to my list.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 05.20.2008 12:06 am

chikara wrote:I guess I should add programming in SQL, embedded SQL and SQL CLI to my list.

Is SQL considered programming in its own right?
I always considered it more of its own beast, as you usually need to interface from another language to do anything with the SQL commands.
Harisenbon

Postby chikara » Tue 05.20.2008 12:59 am

Harisenbon wrote:Is SQL considered programming in its own right?
I always considered it more of its own beast, as you usually need to interface from another language to do anything with the SQL commands.

Most databases have SQL programming languages (procedural extensions to SQL data manipulation) which can be used to write programs or stored procedures. Oracle-san has used PL/SQL which is literally Procedural Language SQL. MS SQL has an SQL programming language called Transact-SQL. I've written SQL programs on IBM systems using SQL PL (SQL Procedural Language).
chikara

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 05.20.2008 3:45 am

chikara wrote:Most databases have SQL programming languages (procedural extensions to SQL data manipulation) which can be used to write programs or stored procedures. Oracle-san has used PL/SQL which is literally Procedural Language SQL. MS SQL has an SQL programming language called Transact-SQL. I've written SQL programs on IBM systems using SQL PL (SQL Procedural Language).

he-------

You learn something new every day. ;)
I've worked with SQL in a completely data-driven fashion, but was not aware you could actually get it to do anything resembling a REPL.
Harisenbon

Postby Shirasagi » Tue 05.20.2008 5:37 am

I was pretty awesome with LogoWriter back in the day...
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 05.20.2008 7:42 am

My undergraduate major was computer science -- at one time I could program decently well in Scheme, Java, PASCAL, C, and Perl. I could probably pick it up again if I was interested.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 05.20.2008 7:48 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:My undergraduate major was computer science -- at one time I could program decently well in Scheme, Java, PASCAL, C, and Perl. I could probably pick it up again if I was interested.

Ahh, you were also one of the patients of Dr. Scheme. ;)

I still have nightmares about parenthesese.
Harisenbon

Postby monkeykoder » Tue 05.20.2008 8:07 pm

If I had any reason to I could program pretty decently in C or C++ Java wouldn't be too hard to pick up from that background I've dabbled in Perl and Python and VB but I don't remember a darned thing from those three. I thought I could major in CS but it is jut plain boring compared to math.
monkeykoder

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 05.20.2008 8:33 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:My undergraduate major was computer science -- at one time I could program decently well in Scheme, Java, PASCAL, C, and Perl. I could probably pick it up again if I was interested.

Ahh, you were also one of the patients of Dr. Scheme. ;)

I still have nightmares about parenthesese.

Hehe. I actually grew to like Scheme once I really figured out how to use it -- although I still don't understand continuations.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 05.21.2008 9:37 am

I used to know Pascal, Fortran, C and basic but to be honest, after 20+ years of nonuse, I couldn't do much except for if then/= statements. I never much liked the programming side, so that's why I gave it up.
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to General off topic