Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - After Intermediate Kanji book 2

After Intermediate Kanji book 2

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

After Intermediate Kanji book 2

Postby bluntcrayon » Tue 05.20.2008 4:49 am

Does anybody know if there is a another book in the series after After Intermediate Kanji book 2?

I am almost at the end of this green book and it would be great if there was another volume to take me up to the 2000 mark.
I've got a pretty good learning system going after starting in 2006 on the red basic kanji book.

thanks
bluntcrayon

Re: After Intermediate Kanji book 2

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 05.20.2008 7:39 am

I went to Kanji in Context after about 1/2 of the green book. There is a lot of review in there but it was useful review for me. You might also just be able to jump into native Japanese texts; IKB 2 is a pretty tough book.

EDIT: What book are you on right now?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby bluntcrayon » Tue 05.20.2008 5:53 pm

Thanks. I have heard of the kanji in context books, so I might check those out too (and add it to my already over burgeoning book shelf) . Its always good to review things with different books.

At the moment I am working through Intermediate book 2. I find it pretty simple to use and so far I have memorized most the the kanji studied. All the material available for non native learners seem to stop at the same point (around 1400 kanji), so it seems a shame that there isnt anything for the next step. Do you know of any native japanese titles that cover the elusive 1400 - 1945 kanji?
bluntcrayon

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 05.20.2008 6:04 pm

The thing is, the "1945" number is kind of a phantom -- the Jouyou List is more or less meaningless in terms of kanji you need to know or should study. Some kanji on there you will never need to know, and there are some very common kanji that are not on the list (some of which are covered in IKB 2).

I personally think that once you finish IKB 2 you are ready to ditch kanji textbooks and just learn from native materials -- get whatever you're interested in and start reading, looking up kanji you don't know. IKB trains you to do this, in some sense, since there is basically no English in IKB 2. If you want to, you can supplement that with a textbook (that's what I did). Kanji in Context is the only thing I know of that covers the rare Jouyou Kanji and actually provides something beyond just a list of kanji and words.

(BTW, IKB 2 takes you up to 1116 kanji. not 1400 -- but anything over 1000 should make you ready to at least incorporate native materials into your study.)

For reading material, I personally recommend you try out the Tensei Jingo column in the asahi newspaper at this link:
http://www.asahi.com/paper/column.html
They are short pseudo-editorial pieces covering a wide range of topics. They are very short, and since they are online, you can easily look up words and kanji by copying and pasting. You get a new one every day, and it's completely free. I used this a lot back when I was still using IKB and KiC to study kanji.

However, I think it's important that you find something to interest you -- that's how you keep motivation in studying. If you finish IKB 2 and are able to handle the material in that book, there will be very little (I think) that is totally out of your range. Of course you will have to look up a fair amount of vocab and kanji, but that will decrease in time. You may run into some tricky grammar, but you can always ask on this forum for help.

One very useful thing I used was the JWPce editor. It has a feature that allows you to input a list of kanji into the program. Then you can put text into the editor, and it will show any kanji not on the list in blue. That is, you could feed it a list of all the kanji in IKB, then paste some text in there and you will instantly be able to see which kanji you have not studied. You can then add those to the list. I have lists already made for the entire BKB - IKB series, and for Kanji in Context, separated by lesson. I can send you them if you want.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby bluntcrayon » Thu 05.22.2008 6:53 am

Thanks for all your advice! its much appreciated.

I've actually been putting off learning from native materials because I thought I wasn't anywhere near ready for it.
But I guess this is the only way I am going to get better from now on.
bluntcrayon

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 05.22.2008 8:12 am

Well, you can still use textbooks but you're getting near the level where there aren't any more.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby bluntcrayon » Wed 12.10.2008 10:46 pm

Just an update on this post i wrote a while ago.
I am in japan now studying at a university.
I have managed to find a pretty good kanji textbook that goes all the way to the 2000 required for jlpt 1.
Its called 漢字マスターVol.4 By the アークアカデミー
1800円

Its great for me cos it shows me exactly what i need to know for the test and includes all the vocab on the sylabus
bluntcrayon

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 12.10.2008 10:50 pm

Just make sure you do reading too. For JLPT1, being able to read relatively quickly is much more important than knowing X number of kanji.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips