Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Help me win a bet, please!

Help me win a bet, please!

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Re: Help me win a bet, please!

Postby revolutionary » Wed 05.21.2008 12:31 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:If she was recollecting her parents paying for things 30 years ago.... the currency used on US military bases, is the US dollar.
I think maybe I wasn't clear enough on what the debate was about. Our whole argument isn't over whether or not you can use American money on American army bases. My mom and I agreed that you could. Where we disagree is that my mom seems to think they were going elsewhere in foreign countries and using American money. While they may have been able to back then, I tried to tell her that things have changed and you can no longer use American money offbase (in most cases). She just won't listen, though, and discredits anything I say because I've never traveled out of the US.

two_heads_talking wrote: What I am saying is don't discount her memory just because she's older. In many cases, she probably recollects it now better than she did ealier.

I would agree this was true in most situations The thing is, she spent very little time abroad. She lived in France from the time she was one until the time she was four, so I doubt she recollects that well. Even though she has a few strong memories of France, I'm sure they weren't about using American money all over France. That's not what we think about when we're that little.
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 05.21.2008 1:28 pm

revolutionary wrote: She just won't listen, though, and discredits anything I say because I've never traveled out of the US.

I have travelled outside the US on many occassions. And it's sad that she won't listen to you. I know for a fact that the only thing US dollars will do in Japan in 90% of any business, restaurant, store, etc will be to make the owner say. "oooohh, that's weird, is that what US dollars look like?" and then they will proceed to tell you how much in yen the item is you are looking at.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Wed 05.21.2008 1:43 pm

I was stationed in Japan over 25 years ago, and for anything off-base, I had to pay in yen.

I also spent some time in the Philippines on that tour, and while there were more places just outside the Subic Bay gates where you could exchange dollars for pesos than there were in Iwakuni, prices quoted were in pesos.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 05.21.2008 4:22 pm

Your mother's recollection is correct....within certain boundaries that she may not have been aware of.

Some businesses near American bases do (or have in the past) accept(ed) American money. But by no means should that be broadly overgeneralized.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby jimbreen » Wed 05.21.2008 7:11 pm

G'day Mike,

Long time, no whatever...

Mike Cash wrote:I thought the Australian currency was the Kangaruble.

Nah. The hoop snakes got them all.

Cheers

Jim
jimbreen

Postby jimbreen » Wed 05.21.2008 7:14 pm

revolutionary wrote:Ok, I see what you're saying, I probably should have read the site more carefully. :oops: I've read exchange sites that use a differnt format to show which two currencies they're comparing, but with the names together like that I thought they meant it was one currency. Still, it doesn't change what that Scottish guy told me. I wonder what he meant, then.

You probably had a close encounter with that rarest of beastie, the Scot with a sense of humour.
jimbreen

Postby jimbreen » Wed 05.21.2008 7:22 pm

Mike Cash wrote:Your mother's recollection is correct....within certain boundaries that she may not have been aware of.

Some businesses near American bases do (or have in the past) accept(ed) American money. But by no means should that be broadly overgeneralized.

Years ago (about 35 of them, to be exact) I was working with Americans on a software project. One of them told the story of a friend who'd been told by his father to take a bundle of US $1 bills with him when he went overseas, because "wherever you go, son, they'll always accept a greenback". The friend did this (people followed their parents' advice back then), and in due course found himself in a taxi in Sydney without enough $As to pay the fare. When he proffered the US currency instead, the driver said: "put that fucking Monopoly money away and pay me my fare, or I'll call the police!"

:lol:
jimbreen

Postby chikara » Wed 05.21.2008 8:45 pm

jimbreen wrote:...... When he proffered the US currency instead, the driver said: "put that @#$%*& Monopoly money away and pay me my fare, or I'll call the police!"

LOL

It does look like play money compared to our colourful notes.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby AJBryant » Thu 05.22.2008 1:43 am

chikara wrote:It does look like play money compared to our colourful notes.

Ironically, I look at your colorful notes as pretty play coupons, next to our serious, no-nonsense, all-business notes. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 05.22.2008 7:38 am

AJBryant wrote:Ironically, I look at your colorful notes as pretty play coupons, next to our serious, no-nonsense, all-business notes. ;)

I used to think that about the old green bills, but on a recent trip back to the states, I was amazed at some of the hideousness that has come out of the new anti-counterfitting measures. What was especially amusing is that I had some of the new ULTRA new 10s, and the cashiers at a couple of places didn't believe me that they were actual money at first.

It made me think that perhaps having so many new bills is actually confusing the general populous, and making counterfitting easier.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby AJBryant » Thu 05.22.2008 8:38 am

I keep waiting for the *next* iteration of the 20.... ;)

Now there's talk of doing something to make bills distinguishable by the blind, like Japanese bank notes, or possibly make different denominations in different sizes to allow the same effect. Sigh.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Wakannai » Thu 05.22.2008 8:47 am

I'm actually all for something like that.
Wakannai

Postby monkeykoder » Thu 05.22.2008 1:03 pm

Man us Americans can be dumb sometimes (too bad that there are people just as dumb everywhere else).
monkeykoder

Postby revolutionary » Thu 05.22.2008 5:58 pm

Thanks, everyone... I appreciate all the information and humor. But, the jig is up. You see, I'm afraid that my mother has discovered my elite hacking skills, which I used to create this page out of nowhere, the forum, and all of the user names and replies on it. Basically, you're all just figments of my imagination and I should just stop this vain attempt to prove my mother wrong. I'm a horrible person, and I'm ashamed of myself. :roll:

Seriously, I give up on this woman. I really am grateful that you tried to help, though.
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Postby coco » Thu 05.22.2008 7:34 pm

Less perfect, more free

I found your signature cheers you and your mother up.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic