Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Jdrama

Jdrama

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

Jdrama

Postby monkeykoder » Sun 05.18.2008 5:52 pm

I'm looking for a good jdrama. I just finished Densha Otoko and First Kiss looking for something of a different style maybe? I'm out of the sappy romance thing for a little bit (I think) So suggestions would be greatly appreciated (even better would be posted links to crunchyroll or the like.)
monkeykoder

Native language: English

Re: Jdrama

Postby konakona3104 » Mon 05.19.2008 2:37 am

I find it hard to rec something without mentioning my favorite jdrama, Hana Yori Dango. So, if you haven't seen that yet, I suggest it, even though yeah, it's got romance.

Trying to rack my brains for something without romance... Are you looking for something with no romance at all, or just something that doesn't have it as a main focus?

I really enjoyed Nobuta wo Produce. Funny, cute (yes, again, fluffy moments).... Erm, Gokusen is really good IMO. Yamada Taro Monogatari I also enjoyed, although that might come from that providing me and my friend endless comments about how much of a creep Sho (Sakurai Sho, who plays one of the main characters) is. ^_^ Dragon Zakura doesn't have romance, it's more of a ... heartwarming story, heh. You know, like ... bad students being able to make something of themselves and all that... Trick is great, though I've only finished the first season so far (something to do with my summer vacation), Liar Game (that's fresh on my mind since I just saw a thread about it) is really good if you're into that ... mystery suspense kind of thing? Which also makes me think of Kurosagi. 14sai no Haha and 1 Litre of Tears both made me cry, if you're looking for a tear jerker. Oh, and as for comedy, Stand Up!! and Kisarazu Cat's Eye are both totally hilarious.

Wah, that's a lot of series. ;; I won't lengthen this post a bunch with summaries of all of these as you can just look them up on http://www.wiki.d-addicts.com or whatever, but if none of these sound good to you, lemme know a bit more specifically what you're looking for and I can probably think of something.
konakona3104

Postby Sairana » Mon 05.19.2008 4:35 pm

Dramawiki is good, but I like Jdorama better... if for no other reason than it's more visual than the wiki. Plus, Jdorama's info almost always contains a link to the d-addicts wiki entry, too, so you can read both place's reviews without a lot of extra searching.

Jdorama also has user reviews (d-addicts doesn't unless you pick through the forums), top 50 lists, etc.

That said, many of my pen pals had recommended "Trick" as a good one. After watching it, I agree. The storyline isn't particularly deep, but it's entertaining. Basically, a 2-bit magician ends up helping a detective investigate a cult and its leader who claims to be able to use REAL magic. It's a comedy/drama.

That's probably the only one I've watched that isn't primarily based around romance. There's Beautiful Life, which is about a disabled woman, and One Litre of Tears about a girl with a disease, but they're both largely about their struggles in romance as well as living with their condition, so I don't know if you'd want to watch them just now. (However, they are both AWESOME dramas, so if you ever get the opportunity, you should watch em anyway. :P)
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby monkeykoder » Tue 05.20.2008 9:00 pm

Well I finished Nobuta wo produce last night it was decent. I'm not against romance just a little concerned about my image as a manly man... Just kidding about the image thing. I'll look at anything geared toward the 20 something crowd before most high school dramas though I'm done with high school and I'm glad I'm done with high school (Heck I've been done for going on 5 years and I've praised the day I got out of high school ever since.)
monkeykoder

Postby Queenofcheese » Thu 05.22.2008 7:09 pm

"My boss, My hero" is an AWESOME Japanese Drama!
It's my favorite non romantic drama!
You really need to watch it if you are a Drama fan.
DBSK = <3
Queenofcheese

Postby fielle » Thu 05.22.2008 8:50 pm

Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO) is good, as is the current Taiga Drama (Atsu-hime), although you may not want to watch a series currently in progress, perhaps. Another of the teacher-bad student options is Gokusen. I also get tired of the eternal romance back-and-forth that goes on in some of these dramas.

I couldn't really abide by the Hana Yori Dango series(es), they are a little too over-contrived, and I wanted to shoot half of the characters three quarters of the time.
fielle

Postby fairy_yui » Tue 05.27.2008 6:56 pm

Hmmm.....if you want something that is going to make you laugh, I would go with Hana-Kimi(JP version). I just got done watching the series and it is srsly funny! Each episode is about an hour long and there are only 12 episodes but it is well worth it. The best place to watch it at would have to be veho.
Photobucket
fairy_yui

Postby monkeykoder » Fri 05.30.2008 2:29 am

Dadgumit I finished Hana Kimi in 2 days. I really need to get myself a girlfriend.
monkeykoder

Postby Rujichan » Fri 06.06.2008 3:35 pm

Bara no Nai Hanaya..is one of the underrated Jdramas ..its so good ..
Orange Days
A Million Star Falling From the Sky
Plus look for Kimura Takuya Drama ..most of his dramas are good!!
Rujichan

Postby Xurma » Mon 06.23.2008 3:49 pm

Here is a small list and little descriptions about each drama I've seen:

Hana Yori Dango
This was my first drama and I enjoyed it, there is some romance too, which is my favourite genre. Only thing I regret that the first episode I saw was from the first season. When I started the second episode, and after that the third and 4th etc. I noticed that I was watching the second season, and accidentally skipped the first.

Hanazakari no Kimitachi e
This was very funny and entertaing drama. It tells about a girl who is living in the US, and her old friend who was an athlete in high-jumping, harmed himself and lost his motivation to jump. After that the girl wants to make him continue jumping, and attends his school, but things get complicated afte she gets to know that the school she is going to is an all-boys school.

Kimi Wa Petto
A quote from http://www.jdorama.com
"Smart, successful and good-looking Sumire Iwaya works for a big newspaper. However she is dumped for being a “perfect woman” followed by degradation. Then she finds Takeshi Goda (Jun Matsumoto) in a box out the front of her home and takes him in. He looks like a dog she used to own called Momo. She dubs him Momo and decides to “keep him as a pet.’ It’s the start of an unexpected life together as they overcome obstacles and gradually deepen their feelings for each other."
This drama was okay and nice, not so great but still enough to entertain. I recommend this.
Last edited by Xurma on Thu 06.26.2008 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xurma

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 06.24.2008 8:31 am

"Good J-drama" is an oxymoron.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby makisushi » Fri 06.27.2008 2:01 am

i watched yesterday Memories of Matsuko~ Kiraware Matsuko no ishoo (meaning everybody hates matsuko's life? ). The movie is kind of weird set in part real world part surreal with some parts of a comedy,mostly a life story following Matsuko's(played by Miki Nakatani) life and heavy on the drama part. The movie totally ruined me, got me depressed and crying i still feel bad, the movie would have been excellent if it werent for some musical parts which i disliked very much (classical new age japanese songs with a line or two of english that dont make any sense whatsoever) but beautiful shots and photography make up for it. Again the story is not meant to be realistic or anything like that but it did make me cry and feel really really depressed, although i do take movies too seriously esp for a guy but oh well...... overall i liked it since it did spark some thinking on life in global and what we make out of it and what is out of our control.
makisushi

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 06.27.2008 8:34 am

Bad acting.
Bad directing.
Bad writing.
Bad lighting.

Did I leave anything out?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby richvh » Fri 06.27.2008 8:44 am

Bad sets? Bad casting?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby fielle » Fri 06.27.2008 10:14 am

Enh, few television dramas from any country are really spectacular. And the US currently has approximately three types of shows on television nowadays: Crime Drama (see: CSI, Law and Order, Bones, NCIS, Cold Case, Bla Bla), Reality TV, Struggling Sitcom.

Although it does seem that most j-dramas are written such that I want to kick at least one character in the shins at least once an episode.
fielle

Next

Return to Japanese Movies and Music