Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 05.22.2008 1:25 pm

you know he could have said. " I don't never use no google translator." and would have been correct.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby sushi4ever » Thu 05.22.2008 2:19 pm

funny enough, noone mentioned the error in the title yet, oh well :roll: :wink:

back to topic: watching japanese tv, movies, doramas etc. would help alot with exposing yourself to the language. whenever i'm at home i have japanese tv running in the background (it's still distracting me like mad since i'm always so curious what's going on and if i can understand something, lol) but you'll eventually get used to it.

from my point of view, immersion can't be done when you're not actually living in japan but surrounding yourself with japanese (aka exposure) everywhere you can sounds like a good thing to do as well.

for example, i try to put my poor japanese skills to use whenever i can, like writing my shopping list in japanese and stuff like that.

finding japanese buddies may also be essential at some point during your studies since no book or tape can give you the conversation skills you'll need.
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby Mike Cash » Thu 05.22.2008 3:28 pm

sushi4ever wrote:funny enough, noone mentioned the error in the title yet, oh well :roll: :wink:

We displayed good breeding and tact by merely quietly making the correction instead of rubbing his nose in it.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 05.22.2008 3:53 pm

sushi4ever wrote:back to topic: watching japanese tv, movies, doramas etc. would help alot with exposing yourself to the language. whenever i'm at home i have japanese tv running in the background (it's still distracting me like mad since i'm always so curious what's going on and if i can understand something, lol) but you'll eventually get used to it..

I would never get used to a television set running around in my house. whether it's in the background or foreground. You are well intentioned in being curious as to what that tv set is doing, for all you know, when you aren't looking, it could be running into the kitchen and throwing your china on the floor. See, no matter what, I could never understand why a tv would throw silverware and china on the floor, but then again, I couldn't understand why a ty would be running around in the house in the first place.

from my point of view, immersion can't be done when you're not actually living in japan but surrounding yourself with japanese (aka exposure) everywhere you can sounds like a good thing to do as well.

Hmm, so one cannot get into a tub of water unless they are in Japan? No wonder my tub leaks, I don't live in Japan. I tried surrounding my bathtub with Japanese, but they kept asking my why they were standing around it. I told them if I surrounded my tub with them that I could finally get immersion and they all threw me the ol' akambe and pulled their eyelids down and stuck out their tongues and left. .....
two_heads_talking

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 05.22.2008 7:56 pm

AJBryant wrote:For the record, I always figured if I was ever in legal trouble, I could make a great point of avoiding perjury by a judicious usage of the double negative. :twisted:

There are days when I think that the entirety of the Japanese language was based around this principle. :shock:
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 05.22.2008 10:17 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
AJBryant wrote:For the record, I always figured if I was ever in legal trouble, I could make a great point of avoiding perjury by a judicious usage of the double negative. :twisted:

There are days when I think that the entirety of the Japanese language was based around this principle. :shock:

確かに、時々そんな気がしないでもない :wink:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 05.23.2008 12:26 am

becki_kanou wrote:確かに、時々そんな気がしないでもない :wink:

確か、そう思う人も少なくもない :)

I could do this all day. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 05.23.2008 7:35 am

Harisenbon wrote:

まあ、まったく分からないわけはないけど...
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Gundaetiapo » Fri 05.23.2008 9:00 am

それに対する無理解を少なくしないとならないわけ、ないじゃないか。

Probably sounds unnatural, though. Space ALC has "に対する無理解を少なくする" but there's no Google search results for the entire phrase. Kotonoha doesn't take more than 10 characters but "無理解を少なく" returned 0.
Gundaetiapo

Postby sushi4ever » Fri 05.23.2008 6:46 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
sushi4ever wrote:funny enough, noone mentioned the error in the title yet, oh well :roll: :wink:

We displayed good breeding and tact by merely quietly making the correction instead of rubbing his nose in it.

and i ruined it all, i'm so useless :oops:

two_heads_talking wrote:I would never get used to a television set running around in my house. whether it's in the background or foreground. You are well intentioned in being curious as to what that tv set is doing, for all you know, when you aren't looking, it could be running into the kitchen and throwing your china on the floor. See, no matter what, I could never understand why a tv would throw silverware and china on the floor, but then again, I couldn't understand why a ty would be running around in the house in the first place.

wicked little things they are, good thing it's just a streaming program on my side, the pc is hooked to the wall so there's no escape whatsoever ^^
(wasn't "running" the correct expression? maybe i should've used "playing"? i'm not a native speaker so... i'll never stop learning :| )

two_heads_talking wrote:Hmm, so one cannot get into a tub of water unless they are in Japan? No wonder my tub leaks, I don't live in Japan. I tried surrounding my bathtub with Japanese, but they kept asking my why they were standing around it. I told them if I surrounded my tub with them that I could finally get immersion and they all threw me the ol' akambe and pulled their eyelids down and stuck out their tongues and left. .....

maybe i misphrased that...
"immersion" implies (at least for me) being surrounded with japanese completely, with no other language "available". i think that you can't fully immerse yourself in japanese when you live in a(n) [insert your national language here]-speaking environment.
of course, you can surround/expose yourself with/to japanese to a great extent but that's not what i take as "immersion".
but those were just my very subjective 2 cents again. :wink:
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby maruichan » Sat 05.24.2008 5:11 am

It doesn't hurt. I use applications in Japanese where I can. The problem is, I end up knowing the kanji for the things and not the sounds. You still need to study of course. I find I repeat the word to myself for fun when I hit the button once I do learn the sound... instead of... "kanji like the one in my photographic memory". Hence sometimes I won't know how to read it outside computer form.
maruichan

Postby Garappachi » Sat 05.24.2008 7:04 am

Harisenbon wrote:

そう思われない人もいなくもなさそうにも思えない致し方のないような場面もないことはないと思われないようなことがないことはないと言っておきたくないような気もしないでもない。
(書いておきながら、「~場面もないことはないと思われ~」のあと、意味が掴めなくなりました。) :mrgreen:
Garappachi

Native language: にほんご

Postby Oracle » Tue 05.27.2008 12:45 am

Garappachi wrote:そう思われない人もいなくもなさそうにも思えない致し方のないような場面もないことはないと思われないようなことがないことはないと言っておきたくないような気もしないでもない。
(書いておきながら、「~場面もないことはないと思われ~」のあと、意味が掴めなくなりました。) :mrgreen:

政治家になれそうですね :D
Oracle

Postby subarugal » Tue 05.27.2008 5:37 am

I need help. I don't understand. Why the "Watashi Wa" in Hiragana which is correct ?

わたし   わたし ? Coz my text book is having the "ha" as character ?

Isn't it suppose to be wa わ ?
Live life without regrets
subarugal

Postby Wakannai » Tue 05.27.2008 5:39 am

don't hijack threads.
Wakannai

PreviousNext

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)