Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - みなみけ

みなみけ

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

みなみけ

Postby Hardi_E » Sat 05.24.2008 3:29 am

I like this anime. It's pretty funny.

But actually I was to like to know, if I did hear a sentence right. It's what shiaki says at this clip I found in youtube at 28 th. second ( 00:28/09:09 )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZNbJ9PMJsY
I was able to write it down as: しゃべて ないで、 ささと ひざまずいて、 ちりとり なさって ください。 この ばかやろう。

but that ささと don't make much sense to me. I think I might have spelled it wrong, by listening. I think と means and there but...

I have watched this anime before with subtitles, so I have an idea what they talking, but now I trying to watch it in Japanese. I hardly understand this anything at all, because My Japanese is limited with about 100 words or something, but it feels so good when I recognize some words. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Hardi_E on Sat 05.24.2008 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hardi_E

Native language: エストニアご

Re: みなみけ

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 05.24.2008 4:43 am

It's さっさと, you missed a small っ in the middle. If you Iook it up in the dictionary it'll just say "quickly", but it carries a rather stronger tone than that when combined with a command. Similar to the English phrase "Hurry up and do ____ already, would you?"
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Hardi_E » Sat 05.24.2008 5:32 am

ありがとう。 That helped a lot. I had there actually another mistake. I typed ひざますいて but it should be ひざまずいて。 Good for me, no one didn't notice yet. :lol:

Well I looked that sentence up from an fansubed version, to see how it's translated. There it was translated as.
"I'm kindly ask of you not to talk, to kneel town right now, and to hold the dustpan."
Hardi_E

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 05.24.2008 6:01 am

Hardi_E wrote:ありがとう。 That helped a lot. I had there actually another mistake. I typed ひざますいて but it should be ひざまずいて。 Good for me, no one didn't notice yet. :lol:

Well I looked that sentence up from an fansubed version, to see how it's translated. There it was translated as.
"I'm kindly ask of you not to talk, to kneel town right now, and to hold the dustpan."

Ouch! You can't always trust fan-subs, unfortunately... Especially since whoever translated that doesn't seem to have a firm grasp on English either.

Just off the top of my head, I'd probably translate it something like: "Quit talking and hurry up and get down your knees with the dustpan already, if you'd be ever so kind"... "You idiot!"

It's funny because although she uses the honorific なさる, the whole tone of the sentence is highly condescending and rude.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Hardi_E » Wed 05.28.2008 4:15 am

Thanks again. It bugged me a lot. I don't have much knowledge about honorific Japanese speech yet. So I didn't know that "なさって" is honorific verb, therefore I didn't get very well why Makoto replies there, that なさって ください is too polite. I only suspected that, it might be the case, but didn't get any further from thinking about it and go and read some on-line book about it somewhere.

Anyway. Since I also don't have any firm grasp on English, then the fan-subs have been fine to me. I couldn't understand and appreciate the fine art of good English anyhow. :lol:

Another question, when I write in Japanese, then I must always use particle を right? I have told, that even though in conversation Japanese often drop that を particle out. In writing I should still always use it. So I should have been added を between ちりとり and なさって there? Even though there wasn't one?

PS. [offtopic] I wonder, if there's away to get to know, if some post that I'm interested in, is edited. The rules don't allow double posting. They tell to users to edit your last one instead, but how do I get to know, if there's something added into that post, without going and looking it? [/offtopic]
Hardi_E

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 05.28.2008 5:06 am

Hardi_E wrote:Another question, when I write in Japanese, then I must always use particle を right? I have told, that even though in conversation Japanese often drop that を particle out. In writing I should still always use it. So I should have been added を between ちりとり and なさって there? Even though there wasn't one?

It's true that many people drop it in conversation, and that you should use it in writing, but since in this case you were wrting down a conversation, you should just write it the way it was said, and not add in the を yourself.

Hardi_E wrote:PS. [offtopic] I wonder, if there's away to get to know, if some post that I'm interested in, is edited. The rules don't allow double posting. They tell to users to edit your last one instead, but how do I get to know, if there's something added into that post, without going and looking it? [/offtopic]

There should be a little tag in one corner that says that a post has been edited. For example I went back and edited this post, so there should be a little "last edited by becki_kanou on ??? edited 3 times in total" across the bottom. (Hmm..except I can't see it. Maybe you can only see it on other people's posts?)

Anyway, here's an off-topic PS from me: Your profile says you are from Estonia. I wonder, is the Estonian sumo wrestler, Balto well-known in Estonia too, or only in Japan?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Hardi_E » Wed 05.28.2008 5:41 am

becki_kanou wrote:Anyway, here's an off-topic PS from me: Your profile says you are from Estonia. I wonder, is the Estonian sumo wrestler, Balto well-known in Estonia too, or only in Japan?

He's well known also here. Before, people hardly knew anything about Sumo here, but now everyone at least know the name Baruto. :)

I'm not interested about sport in general, I actually even hate some sports like football, but I always read the news that concern Baruto.
Hardi_E

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 05.28.2008 9:51 am

Hardi_E wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:Anyway, here's an off-topic PS from me: Your profile says you are from Estonia. I wonder, is the Estonian sumo wrestler, Balto well-known in Estonia too, or only in Japan?

He's well known also here. Before, people hardly knew anything about Sumo here, but now everyone at least know the name Baruto. :)

I'm not interested about sport in general, I actually even hate some sports like football, but I always read the news that concern Baruto.

As you can probably tell from my avatar, I love sumo! Baruto is one of my favorites. I met him at an exposition tournament once and he was very friendly and seemed like a very nice person.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions