Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Help me win a bet, please!

Help me win a bet, please!

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Re: Help me win a bet, please!

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 05.22.2008 8:07 pm

AJBryant wrote:Now there's talk of doing something to make bills distinguishable by the blind, like Japanese bank notes, or possibly make different denominations in different sizes to allow the same effect. Sigh.

I'd be happy if they'd just print the damn monetary denominations on the coins. It makes it so difficult for foreigners to use US money.
I mean, have you looked on a dime? You know how much it says it's worth? "One Dime" :shock:

If I remember correctly, the nickel and the penny are the only ones who say what they're worth (five and one cents respectively), and even those don't have a numeral on them, only the words five and one.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby AJBryant » Thu 05.22.2008 8:12 pm

Harisenbon wrote:I'd be happy if they'd just print the damn monetary denominations on the coins. It makes it so difficult for foreigners to use US money.
I mean, have you looked on a dime? You know how much it says it's worth? "One Dime" :shock:

I...

wait. What?

Holy crap, you're right!
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby jimbreen » Thu 05.22.2008 8:38 pm

AJBryant wrote:Now there's talk of doing something to make bills distinguishable by the blind, like Japanese bank notes, or possibly make different denominations in different sizes to allow the same effect. Sigh.

Yes, joining the rest of the world is tough.

Harisenbon wrote:I'd be happy if they'd just print the damn monetary denominations on the coins. It makes it so difficult for foreigners to use US money.

If I remember correctly, the nickel and the penny are the only ones who say what they're worth (five and one cents respectively), and even those don't have a numeral on them, only the words five and one.

春喉. And while we're reforming the world's currency, etc., we can get the Brits to put the name of their country on their stamps and coins. (Not to mention their navy, air force, etc.)

Jim
jimbreen

Postby chikara » Thu 05.22.2008 9:14 pm

jimbreen wrote:

Yes, joining the rest of the world is tough.

Once they've done that maybe they could look at getting rid of those annoying pennies.

jimbreen wrote:...... And while we're reforming the world's currency, etc., we can get the Brits to put the name of their country on their stamps and coins. (Not to mention their navy, air force, etc.)

You mean "Royal" isn't a country :shock:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby john2 » Sat 05.24.2008 4:46 pm

no the penys shuld be the length of chopsticks, that way I can eat with my penys!
john2

Postby AJBryant » Sat 05.24.2008 6:16 pm

john2 wrote:no the penys shuld be the length of chopsticks, that way I can eat with my penys!

John, you are trying my patience.

AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby john2 » Sun 05.25.2008 4:00 am

AJBryant wrote:
john2 wrote:no the penys shuld be the length of chopsticks, that way I can eat with my penys!

John, you are trying my patience.

, Now I'm really confused for real, What did I do?
john2

Postby richvh » Sun 05.25.2008 7:47 am

Think. What word, other than "pennies", could "penys" be a misspelling of? Use of dictionaries or spellcheckers is allowed, nay, encouraged.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 05.25.2008 8:21 am

There once was a john2 from Nantucket
Whose pennies were so long he.........

Never mind
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Previous

Return to General off topic