Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - romanization issue

romanization issue

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

romanization issue

Postby Wakannai » Mon 05.26.2008 10:55 pm

forum group TJP e yokoso.

Should be youkoso right?
Wakannai

Re: romanization issue

Postby chikara » Mon 05.26.2008 11:25 pm

Yes, or yōkoso or ..........
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby jimbreen » Tue 05.27.2008 3:10 am

chikara wrote:Yes, or yōkoso or ..........

Back in the old days on the SLJ group we used to joke about the "Holy Romanization Wars" because there were some 訓令式 devotees who'd insist on Huzitu, etc. etc.

I avoid ローマ字, but when I am forced to use it I prefer ワープロローマ字, i.e. "youkoso" instead of yōkoso. Why? Because it's what you type into your IME, it accurately represents how it is written in kana, it is "round-trip-safe" between ローマ字 and kana, etc. etc. I like to be able to paste ローマ字 straight into an IME or dictionary program and get the correct kana.

I don't give two hoots about whether it's tsu/tu or sha/sya. Both work fine - it's Tookyoo that pisses me off. As a dictionary compiler, one of my pains has been (and still is) people work off ローマ字 and try and put in a "new" entry of ろおにん or こおじょお because they simply don't know how kana, i.e. *real* written Japanese works.

I'd encourage everbody to learn kana ASAP and avoid ローマ字. (The only time I use constructs such as yōkoso is when I'm writing something to be read by a non-Japanese aware audience.)
jimbreen

Postby Wakannai » Tue 05.27.2008 3:18 am

I don't give two hoots about whether it's tsu/tu or sha/sya. Both work fine - it's Tookyoo that pisses me off.

don't forget ei > ee. Lots of dictionaries don't catch that. And of course, looking up ei and finding the word under ee is highly annoying for me.
Wakannai

Postby chikara » Tue 05.27.2008 4:09 am

jimbreen wrote:... I avoid ローマ字, but when I am forced to use it I prefer ワープロローマ字, i.e. "youkoso" instead of yōkoso. Why? Because it's what you type into your IME, it accurately represents how it is written in kana, it is "round-trip-safe" between ローマ字 and kana, etc. etc. I like to be able to paste ローマ字 straight into an IME or dictionary program and get the correct kana. .....

ワープロローマ字 is my preference also.

jimbreen wrote:... I'd encourage everbody to learn kana ASAP and avoid ローマ字. ....
Hear, hear!
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Problems