Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Re: Emersing Yourself In Japanese

Postby sushi4ever » Tue 05.27.2008 7:24 am

Wakannai wrote:don't hijack threads.

indeed.

subarugal, you got a pm.
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 05.27.2008 2:49 pm

sushi4ever wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:I would never get used to a television set running around in my house. whether it's in the background or foreground. You are well intentioned in being curious as to what that tv set is doing, for all you know, when you aren't looking, it could be running into the kitchen and throwing your china on the floor. See, no matter what, I could never understand why a tv would throw silverware and china on the floor, but then again, I couldn't understand why a tv would be running around in the house in the first place.

wicked little things they are, good thing it's just a streaming program on my side, the pc is hooked to the wall so there's no escape whatsoever ^^
(wasn't "running" the correct expression? maybe i should've used "playing"? i'm not a native speaker so... i'll never stop learning :| ):

Running is indeed the correct expression. I was playing on your words and trying to have a bit of fun. I hope that isn't too confusing. lol

sushi4ever wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:Hmm, so one cannot get into a tub of water unless they are in Japan? No wonder my tub leaks, I don't live in Japan. I tried surrounding my bathtub with Japanese, but they kept asking my why they were standing around it. I told them if I surrounded my tub with them that I could finally get immersion and they all threw me the ol' akambe and pulled their eyelids down and stuck out their tongues and left. .....

maybe i misphrased that...
"immersion" implies (at least for me) being surrounded with japanese completely, with no other language "available". i think that you can't fully immerse yourself in japanese when you live in a(n) [insert your national language here]-speaking environment.
of course, you can surround/expose yourself with/to japanese to a great extent but that's not what i take as "immersion".
but those were just my very subjective 2 cents again. :wink:

Again, I was playing on your words by making up a story about surrounding yourself with Japanese in order to immerse yourself into a tub.. Sorry for the confusion. I did not realize you were not a native speaker of English.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby sushi4ever » Wed 05.28.2008 4:17 am

two_heads_talking wrote:I did not realize you were not a native speaker of English.

so my english isn't that horrid? yay me, lol

anyway, i was just a little puzzled whether you were picking on my choice of words or the point that i was trying to get across. :wink:
sushi4ever

Postby Sairana » Wed 05.28.2008 5:19 am

sushi4ever wrote:
anyway, i was just a little puzzled whether you were picking on my choice of words or the point that i was trying to get across. :wink:

THT was just being silly, and meant no harm by it, IMHO.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby sushi4ever » Wed 05.28.2008 9:47 am

Sairana wrote:
sushi4ever wrote:

THT was just being silly, and meant no harm by it, IMHO.

i came to that conclusion as well, haha

there's nothing wrong with it, i'm enjoying this forum for several years now and i'm far from feeling myself being attacked or harassed in any way ^^
(btw, we're going OT :roll: )

BTT: constant exposure to the japanese language, culture or whatever flicks your switch can never be harmful, so DO IT! :D
sushi4ever

Postby NathanSp » Wed 05.28.2008 11:57 pm

Until you respond to your English-only friends in Japanese by accident ><
NathanSp

Postby Kudo Masaki » Thu 05.29.2008 7:16 pm

Haha, yeah, responding to your friends in Japanese by accident, I have done that alot, saying 'arigatou' when I mean 'thank you' in English, lol. xD
Kudo Masaki

Postby Garappachi » Sat 05.31.2008 7:57 am

Oracle wrote:
Garappachi wrote:そう思われない人もいなくもなさそうにも思えない致し方のないような場面もないことはないと思われないようなことがないことはないと言っておきたくないような気もしないでもない。
(書いておきながら、「~場面もないことはないと思われ~」のあと、意味が掴めなくなりました。) :mrgreen:

政治家になれそうですね :D

「あとは毒饅頭の食わせ方を覚えるだけだな。」と、うちのフクダが申しておりました。\(^0^)/
Garappachi

Native language: にほんご

Postby bascard » Wed 06.04.2008 10:28 am

yeah, i'm often do that too.
but, the mottomo taisetsu mono wa renshu darou. :?
but, it's okay to just watching jp vids, musics da to omou.
itsu ka nihonggo ga jouzu ni naru kamoshiranai darou. :wink:

(pssst... am i right?) :P
i know that i'm not cool but, i don't care

hana hitotsu saitene michi nante tsumarannakute arukanee ze, ore nara nee (tachibana akane, I'LL CKBC)
bascard

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 06.04.2008 10:36 am

bascard wrote:yeah, i'm often do that too.

dou kana?
two_heads_talking

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 06.04.2008 12:21 pm

bascard wrote:yeah, i'm often do that too.

More or less, although you should use desu/-masu form on the forum. You can't really combine "ka mo shirenai" and "darou", though -- a good way to make it vague is "...naru darou to omoimasu".
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby darkitekt » Sat 08.23.2008 6:22 pm

I try to find material that caters to upper-intermediate and advanced learners, but it can be bloody difficult to find them online. I've got a few things that I immerse myself in and might help.

I normally try to watch Japanese shows, mostly comedy or variety, off websites like veoh. That way I'm exposed to real spoken Japanese and not the simplified and scripted speech of dramas. Difficult as my comprehension skills have plummeted after spending more than a year back in the UK, but I'm hoping that with longer immersion into this sorta thing my comprehension skills will get back up to where they should be. I used that method whilst learning my Ma's native language (Tagalog) during my teens and it really helped, so I'm sure it'd be the same for upping my listening skills in Japanese....?? :mrgreen:
Youtube's yesjapan videos are also helping me out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYLBJXHJYLE

I'm also listening to podcasts from Japanese radio stations, which I search for with the iTunes store. A good one (although she isn't uploading anymore) is http://www.njuku.com/. Free stuff, and again non-scripted or made easy-to-understand for upper-intermediate or advanced learners. I also occasionally listen to beginners and lower-intermediate exercises so as not to forget important expressions that I may not have heard as often before. :)

I also try and write in Japanese whenever I can, on facebook to mates back in Japan, and other times, including now: 日本語で書けば書くほど、能力がだんだん良くなっていきます。前には大阪で友達に電話しても、値段がもっと高かってきたし、今あんまり呼びません。しかし、Facebookでも、電話でも、相手が日本語をペラペラで話せば、間違ったらすぐに補正してくれるし、とても便利な方法だと思います。

Reading-wise I have 2 novels I bought back in Osaka with me, and am going through them (albeit slowly) when I have the time to. For kanji jukugo readings or for expressions I haven't come across yet or frequently enough, I use the denshijisho to look up.
darkitekt

Previous

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)