Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Terms for New Techology

Terms for New Techology

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Terms for New Techology

Postby Just Barb » Fri 05.30.2008 6:32 pm

I’ve been working in a couple of Japanese textbooks so that I don’t forget too much over the summer. I noticed that some of the words pertaining to technology are starting to seem a little dated. I suspect that the computers aren’t connected to the internet. Most folks didn’t have a website.People are still listening to records. I don’t think that they have cell phones.

Anyway, it would be nice to know some of these words and phrases for more modern everyday devices. Can anyone help?

Thanks so much!

Barb
Just Barb

Re: Terms for New Techology

Postby richvh » Fri 05.30.2008 6:42 pm

Internet - インターネット or ウェッブ
website - サイト or ホームページ
cell phone - 携帯電話 or 携帯 for short.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby doinkies » Fri 05.30.2008 7:04 pm

I found a big list of computer terms on the Japanese Wikipedia.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Native language: English

Postby jimbreen » Fri 05.30.2008 8:36 pm

Just Barb wrote:I’ve been working in a couple of Japanese textbooks so that I don’t forget too much over the summer. I noticed that some of the words pertaining to technology are starting to seem a little dated. I suspect that the computers aren’t connected to the internet. Most folks didn’t have a website.People are still listening to records. I don’t think that they have cell phones.

Anyway, it would be nice to know some of these words and phrases for more modern everyday devices. Can anyone help?

The "compdic" online dictionary has about 15,000 computing/telecomms terms. You can
access it via WWWJDIC:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi- ... dic.cgi?3C

My summary of online dictionaries/glossaries at: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/onlinejdic.html has several other computing glossaries available.
jimbreen

Postby Just Barb » Fri 05.30.2008 10:18 pm

Thanks, Rich! I can’t believe how quickly you got back to me! That was just the sort of terms I was hoping for!

Thanks, doinkies! That looks like a really great link. I’ve only been taking Japanese for a couple of terms so I don’t read that well. I’m saving the link for when I’m better.

Jim- Thank you so much! I use WWWJDIC so much anyway! Ihadn’t been aware that it had so many computing and telecom words in it!

The dictionary links page is such a treasure trove!

Barb
Just Barb

Return to Japanese General Discussion