Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Final fantasy IV DS

Final fantasy IV DS

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

Final fantasy IV DS

Postby Jumpman » Wed 12.26.2007 10:26 pm

Well it recently came out so I was wondering has anyone played it yet?
On play-asia it was $60.00
which is a bit pricey for a DS game, so is it worth the price tag?
Need some money for Japanese learning material?
Check my blog for advice on how to get money with little to no effort.
Jumpman

RE: Final fantasy IV DS

Postby TrashTreasurer » Thu 12.27.2007 6:09 am

Final Fantasy IV on the SNES is in my top 5 favorite games of all time, ever, so that would be an easy pickup for me, but I don't know about you. From what I understand, they didn't mess with anything on a functional level, and the graphics are even crisper and more polished than the version of FFIII for the DS(dunno if you played that).

This game was one that I was hoping to be able to read by the time it came out in Japan, but I'm not that worried about it, since they said they cleaned up the translation for the american release even better than the ffiv advance game for the GBA. Here's hoping the "you spoony bard" line is still intact ;)
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby Kurasho » Thu 12.27.2007 8:28 am

I'm not a big fan of the final fantasy series myself but , FFIV wasn't a bad game at all , its storyline was very good compared to other newer games like FFVIII , IX , X , & XII.
Wasn't so sure if I was going to buy it when I first heard about its re-release , but after seeing the trailer , it seemed that the new graphics will allow the storyline to shine to make it one of the best RPGs in the DS...so yeah I'm definitley getting it :)
Kurasho

Postby Jumpman » Thu 12.27.2007 11:56 am

Well I did play the original Japanese one and I never heard what "spoony bard was"..
Need some money for Japanese learning material?
Check my blog for advice on how to get money with little to no effort.
Jumpman

Postby TrashTreasurer » Thu 12.27.2007 7:16 pm

Jumpman wrote:
Well I did play the original Japanese one and I never heard what "spoony bard was"..

It was in the original translation for the english version...when tellah enters the castle and finds that his daughter is dead, he blames it on Edward and calls him "a spoony bard" in anger. I laughed, despite the serious and sad nature of the situation.
I want a clever signature, but I spent all my time trying to come up with a clever post!
TrashTreasurer

Postby Kurasho » Fri 12.28.2007 10:07 am

^ Ah yeah I remember that...he then starts hitting him with his staff :P
Kurasho

Postby stevie » Fri 12.28.2007 6:57 pm

My best friend just beat it yesterday. I guess the cutscenes are more, er, dramatic (perhaps as you'd expect), there are a few extra ones thrown in and he says there's some retcon going on as well... again, as you might expect.

There are a few changes in the ability system but I'm not really sure what they are. The big difference in gameplay seems to be that generally the game has become more challenging, at least in the first half.  Not sure if that will carry over to the western release or not.
Last edited by stevie on Fri 12.28.2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevie

Re: Final fantasy IV DS

Postby Ukeath » Mon 06.09.2008 11:04 pm

I have FFIII on the Ds. Pretty good game. When IV comes out I will probably check it out from work.
Are you on another quest for crystals again?
Ukeath

Re: Final fantasy IV DS

Postby Kurasho » Fri 06.13.2008 11:51 am

^ Yeah kinda..you have to get to the crystal before the bad guy does :P
Kurasho

Return to Games