Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.09.2008 12:47 pm

Definitely.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Re: Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Postby doinkies » Mon 06.09.2008 5:11 pm

Every country has some rude people in it - nobody's perfect.
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Postby Jayman » Mon 06.09.2008 11:09 pm

I just was referring to the small things i noticed when i was there that showed courtesy. Wearing the surgical masks, giving up their seat for other people, their manners and so on. I never said that Japan didn't have rude people in it, just compared to where i live it was a big difference to me.
Jayman

Postby chikara » Mon 06.09.2008 11:17 pm

Jayman wrote:..... I love the food, the anime and the technology. I love final fantasy ....... Don't ever change Japan.

Yes, don't ever change Japan. Please stay just the same as anime and final fantasy. :roll:

I'm very glad that you experienced the real Japan while you were there.

Jayman wrote:I just was referring to the small things i noticed when i was there that showed courtesy. Wearing the surgical masks, ......

Wearing surgical masks is a sign of courtesy :?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby monkeykoder » Mon 06.09.2008 11:28 pm

When you're sick it is.
monkeykoder

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 06.09.2008 11:34 pm

Jayman wrote:I just was referring to the small things i noticed when i was there that showed courtesy. Wearing the surgical masks,

I think women use the masks to hide their mouths, personally (the same way they cover their mouth with their hands sometimes when they talk). In any case, it's often claimed to be for moistening the air you breathe to help your throat, not as courtesy to other people. It also supposedly helps you from getting sick.

giving up their seat for other people,

I have never seen this.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Feba » Mon 06.09.2008 11:42 pm

Jayman wrote:giving up their seat for other people,

They're just making themselves taller?
Feba

Postby chikara » Mon 06.09.2008 11:51 pm

monkeykoder wrote:When you're sick it is.

:?

Do you honestly believe that all the people you see walking around in public wearing surgical masks are sick?

Do you actually know why surgeons wear surgical masks?

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Jayman wrote:.....giving up their seat for other people,

I have never seen this.

I see this all the time, just not in Japan.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 06.10.2008 1:14 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Jayman wrote:
giving up their seat for other people,

I have never seen this.

I've seen fellow gaijin give up their seats to little old ladies, but I had never seen a Japanese do it, until one day in the Osaka subway. I was suprised and I mentioned it to the friend I was with, saying: "I've never seen a Japanese person give up their seat before", then the guy who had done it turned around and said: "Actually I'm Japanese-American, from New York". :shock:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Hardi_E » Tue 06.10.2008 6:32 am

I just like it. And it's pronunciation seems not to be so difficult like english. The a e i o u vowels are all same as in Estonian. English Idn't speak at all, only write. And I would like to watch Japanese Animes without subtitles. But mostly I just like the language. The first time I heard it from tv. I liked it.

But actually I think that I did swear when I was kid, that when I will grow up, I will learn Japanese, then marry with a Japanese girl and move to Japan to buy some good Japanese color tv. Because we didn't had a good tv. The soviet color tv where so bad that there wasn't point to waste money. So we had black and white one. Some of my friend who had it. There was almost no way to get all color to be presented. Either it was too red or too blue, but green and yellow was hard to get. But since my father was repairing electronic at home for friends or some, to earn some extra. And once one guy took a made in Japan tv to repair. It was so awesome thing. It had so nice and clear picture. I wanted such tv too. But there wasn't nowhere to get it. I think that guy got it from his Moscow relatives. Since my older brother told that I'm too stupid to ever get such thing, because I have to learn Japanese and marry to a Japanese to get it. I did swear that I will learn it.. Well I can now buy any good tv from store with money. So I guess don't need to marry, good thank. But learning Japanese self is very interesting.
Last edited by Hardi_E on Wed 06.11.2008 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hardi_E

Native language: エストニアご

Postby fielle » Tue 06.10.2008 9:09 am

becki_kanou wrote:I've seen fellow gaijin give up their seats to little old ladies, but I had never seen a Japanese do it, until one day in the Osaka subway. I was suprised and I mentioned it to the friend I was with, saying: "I've never seen a Japanese person give up their seat before", then the guy who had done it turned around and said: "Actually I'm Japanese-American, from New York". :shock:

I actually had to read a newspaper article in one of my Japanese classes, bemoaning the fact that young Japanese people no longer do polite things like giving up their seats on buses and trains. So they probably used to do it in the past, and have just turned into thoughtless youngsters, and all of the old ladies are like "Kids these days!"
fielle

Postby chikara » Tue 06.10.2008 7:57 pm

fielle wrote:...... all of the old ladies are like "Kids these days!"

The old ladies are behaving like kids these days :?
chikara

Postby monkeykoder » Tue 06.10.2008 10:05 pm

I really have no clue why I started learning Japanese it was just one of those things I always wanted to do. Since starting to learn I developed an interest in the culture and what the language has to say about the culture. Maybe something will come of it maybe I'll never get past the upper beginner/lower intermediate range.
monkeykoder

Postby Budonoseito » Thu 07.03.2008 3:12 pm

I train and teach Japanese martial arts. So I started with some terms at the dojo. But, learning more helps me understand the concepts better. I also never seem to pick and easy hobby. :)
Budonoseito

Postby Nateo » Sat 07.12.2008 2:26 pm

It started with anime, and I'm stuck with the whole culture now.
Nateo

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion