Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - My intro

My intro

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

My intro

Postby cemetaryland » Wed 06.11.2008 12:42 am

I've almost finished with Hiragana. I still have to learn some combos but I tried introducing myself using the writing and little language skills I have. Please feel free to correct me.

こにち わ。 はじみまして。 あたし わ Robin です。 じゅうよn さい。 ええと。。。 ねこ が すき です、こひ が すき です、 そした こら が すき です。 さよなら。

There were a few things I wasn't sure of here. I wasn't sure if in Japanese you used spaces between words and sentences. I wasn't sure if you could use "..." in Japanese. And one thing on actual writing. Do you write up and down and from right to left or just like your normally would in English? I've heard that you can do it either way but I wanted to be sure.
cemetaryland

Re: My intro

Postby chikara » Wed 06.11.2008 1:04 am

cemetaryland wrote:..... こにち わ。 はじみまして。 あたし わ Robin です。 じゅうよn さい。 ええと。。。 ねこ が すき です、こひ が すき です、 そした こら が すき です。 さよなら。...

こにち わ => こんにち は
あたし わ => あたし は

The particle は is pronounced わ

じゅうよn => じゅうよん type an apostrophe after n to get ん

そした? Do you mean そして.

さよなら can also be spelt さようなら

cemetaryland wrote:..... There were a few things I wasn't sure of here. I wasn't sure if in Japanese you used spaces between words and sentences....

When writing in all hiragana spaces are acceptable.

cemetaryland wrote:..... And one thing on actual writing. Do you write up and down and from right to left or just like your normally would in English? I've heard that you can do it either way but I wanted to be sure.

Japanese can be written top to bottom right to left or left to right top to bottom.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 06.11.2008 1:29 am

cemetaryland wrote:I've almost finished with Hiragana. I still have to learn some combos but I tried introducing myself using the writing and little language skills I have. Please feel free to correct me.

こにち わ。 はじみまして。 あたし わ Robin です。 じゅうよn さい。 ええと。。。 ねこ が すき です、こひ が すき です、 そした こら が すき です。 さよなら。

There were a few things I wasn't sure of here. I wasn't sure if in Japanese you used spaces between words and sentences. I wasn't sure if you could use "..." in Japanese. And one thing on actual writing. Do you write up and down and from right to left or just like your normally would in English? I've heard that you can do it either way but I wanted to be sure.

Robin-
Hello and Welcome!

As Chikara said, Japanese is generally written without spaces, but as a beginner it may be useful to use spaces when writing in all hiragana, just for clarity.

Chikara has already given you some good advice, but here's two more. Coffee , cola and other words of foreign origin are generally written in katakana rather than hiragana, but if you haven't learned it yet, that's OK. You should note though that both coffee and cola have long vowels and should be written is written こーひー and こーら respectively. (Or rather コーヒー and コーラ once you learn katakana.)
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby chikara » Wed 06.11.2008 2:40 am

becki_kanou wrote:...... You should note though that both coffee and cola have long vowels and should be written is written こーひー and こーら respectively. (Or rather コーヒー and コーラ once you learn katakana.)

コーラ doh! :oops:

I thought Robin liked 子等

Robin-san, your name would also be written in katakana, ロビン :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby cemetaryland » Wed 06.11.2008 2:56 pm

chikara wrote:
cemetaryland wrote:..... こにち わ。 はじみまして。 あたし わ Robin です。 じゅうよn さい。 ええと。。。 ねこ が すき です、こひ が すき です、 そした こら が すき です。 さよなら。...

こにち わ => こんにち は
あたし わ => あたし は

The particle は is pronounced わ

じゅうよn => じゅうよん type an apostrophe after n to get ん

そした? Do you mean そして.

さよなら can also be spelt さようなら

The thing I'm having trouble with is wa and ha. Some people tell me that it's one others tell me it's another. One girl told me wa was general and ha was formal. So I really had no idea there. As for the ん problem, I didn't even notice that when I typed it :P And for the そした, I typed it wrong, I had only learned how to say it a little bit before I typed this so I just wasn't thinking.

becki_kanou wrote:
cemetaryland wrote:I've almost finished with Hiragana. I still have to learn some combos but I tried introducing myself using the writing and little language skills I have. Please feel free to correct me.

Robin-
Hello and Welcome!

As Chikara said, Japanese is generally written without spaces, but as a beginner it may be useful to use spaces when writing in all hiragana, just for clarity.

Chikara has already given you some good advice, but here's two more. Coffee , cola and other words of foreign origin are generally written in katakana rather than hiragana, but if you haven't learned it yet, that's OK. You should note though that both coffee and cola have long vowels and should be written is written こーひー and こーら respectively. (Or rather コーヒー and コーラ once you learn katakana.)

I did know the foreign words should have been written in Katakana but I don't know any yet so I went ahead and typed it in Hiragana. On the long vowels I thought you put a small つ? I know I didn't do this either because I didn't learn that until after this. But which is correct?

chikara wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:
Robin-san, your name would also be written in katakana, ロビン :)
[/quote]

I know. I did forget san though but I didn't want to type that in Hiragana because someone I know who's father spoke Japanese told me that my name sounded different in Japanese. I didn't think that was right but I wasn't sure either so I just wrote my English name.

Thanks for all your help everyone :)
cemetaryland

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 06.11.2008 3:07 pm

cemetaryland wrote:The thing I'm having trouble with is wa and ha. Some people tell me that it's one others tell me it's another. One girl told me wa was general and ha was formal.

The particle "wa" (at least the topic/contrast particle "wa") is written with the hiragana は, but pronounced "wa". All other "wa" sounds are written as わ.

I did know the foreign words should have been written in Katakana but I don't know any yet so I went ahead and typed it in Hiragana. On the long vowels I thought you put a small つ? I know I didn't do this either because I didn't learn that until after this. But which is correct?

Long vowels in katakana are done with the ー dash (in hiragana you repeat the vowel)
Doubled consonants are done with っ.

I know. I did forget san

And correctly so; you do not use さん with your own name (さん is an honorific suffix, and you never use any honorific language in reference to yourself.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby monkeykoder » Wed 06.11.2008 3:09 pm

The particle pronounced wa is always written with ha. In hiragana long vowels are written like gaa <- a second one of the same vowel or gou<- certain vowels to make long you write a different one afterwards. In katakana to get a long vowel you use the dash. the little tsu gives you a glottal stop or double consonant. And yes almost everything sounds different in Japanese but you still write in katakana for the most part.
monkeykoder

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 06.11.2008 3:18 pm

monkeykoder wrote:The particle pronounced wa is always written with ha.

Well, one of the two particles pronounced "wa", at any rate.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby monkeykoder » Wed 06.11.2008 3:22 pm

The one used in beginning classes is written as ha. (except of course it is written in hiragana...)
monkeykoder

Postby cemetaryland » Wed 06.11.2008 8:29 pm

Ok. Thanks for all the help guys :) I don't actually know anyone who speaks any Japanese so it's hard to really practice unless I talk to myself. Which I've actually done. But there's no one there to correct me then. :P
cemetaryland

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)