Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Manga reading guide?

Manga reading guide?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Manga reading guide?

Postby monkeykoder » Wed 06.11.2008 3:00 pm

I was wondering if there were any manga reading guides out there. Specifically a little guide tailored to a specific manga that tells you where to find out about the grammar being used like a chapter by chapter or page by page listing of grammar points used in the book. Maybe with notes on the colloquialisms used. I guess one could be done for manga in general but this would seem to be a good study help by using the positive reinforcement of being able to read the manga and pointers on the grammar.
monkeykoder

Native language: English

Re: Manga reading guide?

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 06.11.2008 3:04 pm

Doesn't exist as far as I know. If you get back issues of Mangajin there are selected pages from manga (usually no more than 4-5 pages) with breakdowns of that type.

I think perhaps this doesn't exist because the level of language necessary to read manga is rather high, and by the time you get there, you can often handle these things yourself -- the colloquialisms are sometimes tough to find out about, though. It would be nice if there were some sort of guide intended for upper-intermediate learners that specified the types of slang and colloquial expressions you find in manga.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby monkeykoder » Wed 06.11.2008 3:16 pm

I'm currently in the Upper beginner lower intermediate range (depending on whether you're talking about grammar or vocabulary) and I can struggle through a manga but it takes a long time due to my lack of vocabulary. Basically what I would see being useful is mostly a list of topics that will come up on a given page or chapter and locations of colloquialisms that are not all that common. With a guide like this I see manga being rather accessible to the lower intermediate which seems like it would give a good boost in motivation to study more (topics to study are given by chapter). I could be wrong but I think if someone picked a rather short series and used something like this all the way through (though I don't see needing it for grammar after the first couple) this person would have learned a lot more Japanese than they would have without the guides and the motivation.
monkeykoder

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 06.11.2008 11:46 pm

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it might be a fun way to incorporate manga into your studies.

I know that Kodansha has a series of bilingual comic books, so you can read the Japanese, and then if you get stuck, the English is right there on the same page. They mostly have older titles like Sazae-san, Doraemon, Asaki Yumemishi and OL Shinkaron, but if I recall they also had semi-recent ones like GTO.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby monkeykoder » Thu 06.12.2008 3:15 am

The problem I have with the bilingual manga is I can usually get a fairly accurate translation of a line in a manga without actually knowing which intermediate/advanced grammar topics are being used. What I see as being the usefulness of this guide is it gives you something to study and an immediate application kind of a jump start to reading in general. I figure once I/whoever else uses this guide is comfortable with reading manga I/whoever would be more capable of learning new grammar points when reading a book. It might be useful enough to just have an explanation of the contractions and colloquialisms used in said manga to help with recognizing word boundaries.
monkeykoder

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips