Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How to unregister from TJP?

How to unregister from TJP?

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

How to unregister from TJP?

Postby ocetalo » Sun 06.08.2008 11:56 am

Greetings

I've searche the website but can't find where to unregister. It's not that I have something against TJP (which is an AWESOME site), I'm leaving due to reasons not related to TJP nor TJP members. Please help.
No hay conocimiento
ocetalo

Re: How to unregister from TJP?

Postby Feba » Sun 06.08.2008 12:03 pm

Are you talking about unsubscribing from the email feed? I'm pretty sure when I canceled it I just followed a link in the email itself.

If you just need to leave, you could just stop posting.
Feba

Native language: English

Postby ocetalo » Tue 06.10.2008 11:22 pm

I'm not talking about the email feed. I'm talking about thoroughly removing my user data and profile from TJP. I don't recall reading any "once you sign up here you will never be able to unsuscribe" condition in the set of rules I accepted when becoming a member, so I assume I can leave anytime. BTW it's the same with most websites on the Internet: finding the "exit door" is really hard, given there is one.
It's not a matter of just stopping posting, but a matter of rights. I don't want to give any troubles to TJP admins, I just I should be able to leave, and there should be a visible way (say, a button, a link, a form) to do it, and it should be easily findable.
No hay conocimiento
ocetalo

Postby Wakannai » Tue 06.10.2008 11:45 pm

ocetalo wrote:I'm not talking about the email feed. I'm talking about thoroughly removing my user data and profile from TJP. I don't recall reading any "once you sign up here you will never be able to unsuscribe" condition in the set of rules I accepted when becoming a member, so I assume I can leave anytime. BTW it's the same with most websites on the Internet: finding the "exit door" is really hard, given there is one.
It's not a matter of just stopping posting, but a matter of rights. I don't want to give any troubles to TJP admins, I just I should be able to leave, and there should be a visible way (say, a button, a link, a form) to do it, and it should be easily findable.

Leaving and having your personal information deleted are completely different issues. If you think that when you unsubscribe or delete your account at a business, that your information is deleted, you are mistaken. All of that information remains recoverable at the administration end.

You're going a bit beyond personal rights and beginning to infringe on others if you start demanding records of your existence be deleted. No one is obligated to delete records, In fact, from a legal standpoint, the admins are obligated to keep records to protect themselves against possible problems later. Falsifying or destroying records carry hefty penalties if those records ever come under an audit. More importantly, these records are not yours, so you have no rights to them. It's no different than if someone took a picture of you. You've no rights to that picture, it's the property of the person that took it. You've no rights to the records here, they are the property of the site owner.

If you want to be anonymous then only frequent anonymous sites, like 4chan or chat with IRC.
Wakannai

Postby Feba » Wed 06.11.2008 9:18 am

Wakannai wrote:chat with IRC.

Actually, even 4chan logs IP information; it's just hidden to everyone except mods. They can ban so, so they can almost certainly give you up to the authorities (although they don't seem to do that without a fight, usually); IRC also logs connection information, including any personal information you put in; and many IRC channels are constantly being logged.

If you want to be anonymous, use Tor and never put in personal information. Oh, and hope that your exit node is a good one.
Feba

Postby ocetalo » Thu 06.12.2008 2:46 pm

Wakannai wrote:Leaving and having your personal information deleted are completely different issues. If you think that when you unsubscribe or delete your account at a business, that your information is deleted, you are mistaken. All of that information remains recoverable at the administration end.

You're going a bit beyond personal rights and beginning to infringe on others if you start demanding records of your existence be deleted. No one is obligated to delete records, In fact, from a legal standpoint, the admins are obligated to keep records to protect themselves against possible problems later. Falsifying or destroying records carry hefty penalties if those records ever come under an audit. More importantly, these records are not yours, so you have no rights to them. It's no different than if someone took a picture of you. You've no rights to that picture, it's the property of the person that took it. You've no rights to the records here, they are the property of the site owner.

OK, sorry for that. Had no idea. Now, isn't there a way to unsuscribe? There should be one anyway.
No hay conocimiento
ocetalo

Postby richvh » Thu 06.12.2008 3:01 pm

Why bother? Are you paying anything for this service? Are you being sent unwanted emails?

Why are you obsessed with unsubscribing from something that costs you nothing?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby clay » Thu 06.12.2008 5:18 pm

Now, isn't there a way to unsuscribe? There should be one anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'unsubscribe,' but if you want to remove your personal information, just change your email and name to something else. If you wrote something personal in the forums, you could go back and edit that out (but as a courtesy for others, please leave context and a note saying you edited something for some reason.)

Is that what you mean?
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Thu 06.12.2008 8:26 pm

richvh wrote:..... Why are you obsessed with unsubscribing from something that costs you nothing?

偏執病?

ocetalo wrote:... I've searche the website but can't find where to unregister. ....
ocetalo wrote:..... isn't there a way to unsuscribe? There should be one anyway.

clay wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by 'unsubscribe' ....

The OP started off asking how to "unregister" and then changed to "unsubscibe".

If the OP has subscribed to the "Kanji a day" or TheJapanShop.com's Monthly Newsletter email lists then they should be able to (must be able to under this countries laws) unsubscribe from that list. They can do this simply by selecting Remove from the drop down list on the TJP's Free Email Lists page.

As for "unregistering" from a forum or website I would have to say that I have never seen that feature. As Clay-san has said, if you are unhappy with the "personal" information in your profile remove it. If you have included personal information in forum posts then maybe you should have given your privacy more consideration at the time. :roll:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby clay » Thu 06.12.2008 9:11 pm

If the OP has subscribed to the "Kanji a day" or TheJapanShop.com's Monthly Newsletter email lists then they should be able to (must be able to under this countries laws) unsubscribe from that list. They can do this simply by selecting Remove from the drop down list on the TJP's Free Email Lists page.

Yes, every email should have an unsubscribe direct link at the bottom. If it doesn't, anyone can email me to be immediately removed. I have a sincere distaste for spam and in no way want to be seen as contributing to it. :x
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby ocetalo » Fri 06.13.2008 6:12 pm

"unregister", "unsuscribe", I can't see the difference, so I apologize for not being a forum admin, a webmaster, an Internet geek, not even reaching to the state of the average Internet user. If you can't guess what I mean despite being more expert than I, then I don't know what to do.
Even Yahoo! has an account cancelation feature, so why don't you have something similar at least? Anything that resembles an exit door. I always like to know that I'm able to go out as easily as I went in, no matter if my record is kept or not --by the way I don't care there's a law allowing websites to do that, if they want to keep one's info they just can do it even against law, and there's nothing law can do, and I don't feel like doing anything either, so why should I bother thinking about it?
I won't explain the motives (definitively no paranoia) because 1) I don't think those are relevant to this discussion and 2) I don't want to. Besides, there's a high chance I won't leave, just want to know there's an exit door. Now, if that's such a big deal to you, then you just say "we don't have/don't know how to/can't have an exit door" and let's settle this for good.
Last edited by ocetalo on Sun 06.15.2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No hay conocimiento
ocetalo

Postby richvh » Fri 06.13.2008 6:54 pm

Account cancellation feature on Yahoo? Where? I just signed into my account on Yahoo, and see none such on my profile page. I know I can cancel my membership in any Yahoo Group I might have joined, but that's different - those are mailing lists, and actively send mail to you. This is strictly a forum - you have to come here, we don't send stuff to you.

If you should want to leave, just leave - no one will send you harassing emails to try to get you to come back, or anything. Or you can continue to whine, and end up being banned - in which case your account will still be here, you just won't be able to use it.

Account cancellation does not seem to be a feature that forum software designers believe is important. If you feel it's so important, bring it up with the designers of PHPBB (the software used here) or write your own, if you have the skill, and try to get it to be widely used.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 06.13.2008 7:48 pm

ocetalo wrote:Even Yahoo! has an account cancelation feature, so why don't you have something similar at least?

Are you under the impression that features magically appear in software whenever people request them? Why should someone waste their time implementing an account cancellation when it has no substantial effect?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby coco » Fri 06.13.2008 8:44 pm

Personally, I like your idea.

Once an admin talked about accounts purge.

As you can see in this post,
11674/14883(78%) registered users never posted once. :mrgreen:

I personally prefer an accounts purge idea rather than putting an exit door way since I think less people will do an unregister procedure. An account purge will practically have the same effect as the exit door setting, right?

In any case, our admins are very busy because of site moving.
I don't think both of them are priorities since our admins have a lot of things to do for active users rather than users who are leaving TJP.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby hyperconjugated » Sun 06.15.2008 1:57 pm

richvh wrote:Account cancellation feature on Yahoo? Where? I just signed into my account on Yahoo, and see none such on my profile page. I know I can cancel my membership in any Yahoo Group I might have joined, but that's different - those are mailing lists, and actively send mail to you.

https://edit.yahoo.com/config/delete_user
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Next

Return to Problems