Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - げんきですか。

げんきですか。

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

げんきですか。

Postby abeathon » Fri 10.14.2005 5:53 am

ああーごんばんは!私はアブラハムです。げんきですか。あの、わたしはBerkeleyだいがくのがくせいですそしてかんこくじんです。あなたのなまえはなんですか。あの、わたしのにほんごはわるいです。I just started Japanese a little less than two months ago so I hope some of you can help me with conversational Japanese and all of that stuff. どおぞよろしく。さよおならわたしのともだち!
abeathon

RE: げんきですか。

Postby mandolin » Fri 10.14.2005 10:30 am

こんにちはabrahamーさん。 

I'm a beginner, too. I'm not perfect, but it seems you're at or near the same level as me, so I'm going to try and tackle some things in your post! Just letting you know, I'm not trying to be mean or anything. Just looking to practice some myself, and help you in the process! :)

So.. sentence by sentence, I guess:

Probably just a mistype, but it should be こんばんは and not ごんばんは. (konbanwa vs gonbanwa).

---

When using げんき to ask how other people are, you should prefix it with the honorific お. But not when responding to the question yourself.

A: おげんき です か。
B: はい。 げんき です。

---

*** mandolin's probably wrong on this next bit alert. :) ***]
I believe you can say だいがくせい。
Further, I believe you would use the full name of your university in romaji or katakana (whichever you chose, in this case romaji).
Someone else is going to have to help, but I think there's a better way to say "I attend Berkeley University". It just.. I don't know. Feels a bit odd the way you have it, I think.

---

I'll leave the "soshite, kankokujin desu" alone, since I don't know "kankokujin".

---

When asking someone's name, it's the same as with genki, and add the honorific お before なまえ。

あなたのおなまえはなんですか。

---

It's my understanding that わるい means 'bad' as in 'wrongdoing' or perhaps even 'unhealthy'. In reference to how well you do something, じょうず which means 'skilled' is more appropriate. To make it 'not skilled', it's
じょうずじゃありません。 (jouzu ja arimasen)

My japanese is bad/unskilled:
わたしのにほんごがじょうずじゃありません。

I used が instead of は on purpose, because -generally- a "wa" topic can be omitted from a sentence and the sentence will still make sense. Because taking "my japanese" out of that sentence just leaves you with "is unskilled/bad", with no real context to refer to, I think a "ga" subject is more appropriate.

---

Finally, in your departing sentence:

This is more a... cultural point than a grammar point. Saying さようなら is semi-permanent. It's something you will say if you do not expect to see someone for a long time, or perhaps even ever again.

A more temporary goodbye (which is NOT as informal as it might be in english) is to say "Well then, see you later."

じゃあ。 また。
or add 'ne' at the end to expect agreement, like "well, see you later, okay?"
じゃあ。 またね。

---

Now that I've picked it apart like a meanie, I'll say you're way more advanced in 2 months than I was at 2 months. Your paragraph was understandable (obviously, since I was able to read it. :) )

Keep it up! がんばってね!
mandolin

Postby Apollo » Fri 10.14.2005 11:59 am

Wow a whole lesson! Sweet! ^^ Thanks mandolin! I'm so glad we can help one another. And I just started Japanese like a year ago, but I haven't really put it into practice till a couple of days ago, I kept stalling, but now that I found this site and following the advice I've been keeping up a steady pace, better than what I used to have.
MY SIG IMAGE WAS OVER 100 PIXELS HIGH AND THE ADMINS SMOTE IT WITH A HAMMER OF SMITING.
Apollo

Postby abeathon » Sat 10.15.2005 6:27 am

ありがとうございます。However, I have to disagree on one or two things. ”わたしのにほんごがじょうずじゃありません。” My sensee was talking about "ga" and when to use it and said that it should be used with "wh-" questions words such as どこ、どれ、どの、et cetera.

Also, だいがくとがくせい mean two totally different things. daigaku means "university" and gakusee means "student".

Lastly, pertaining to the use of お、I never knew about that but even in respectful situations, is that even commonly used because I've never heard about that.

Anyway, りがとうございますマンドリンさん。マンドリンさんのadviceはいいですねえ。
ああ、わたしはくたびれるです。さようならとありがとう!
abeathon

Postby AJBryant » Sat 10.15.2005 12:11 pm

Also, だいがくとがくせい mean two totally different things. daigaku means "university" and gakusee means "student".

Yes, but "daigakusei" means "university student." No one says "daigaku no gakusei."

Lastly, pertaining to the use of お、I never knew about that but even in respectful situations, is that even commonly used because I've never heard about that.

That should be the first thing in your textbook -- it's that critical. The whole "ogenk" "onamae" "ocha" thing, and so on. Start getting used to dropping pronouns. Using "anata" with "o" is just plain redundant, too.

And another great fallacy of textbook Japanese: NO ONE goes around saying "ogenki desu ka?" in Japan. That's an ENGLISH greeting. In Japan, if someone asks about your health, he MEANS it, and if someone says "ogenki desu ka?" to someone else, the likely response is going to be "Why, do I look sick or something?"

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby mandolin » Sat 10.15.2005 9:20 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Start getting used to dropping pronouns. Using "anata" with "o" is just plain redundant, too.

ああ、 そうですね。 ありがとうございますBryantーさん。

I was wondering why I was having trouble pronouncing my own sentence "anata no onamae wa nan desu ka". .... yes, I try to read just about everything aloud. *blush*

おなまえはなんですか。

That's much easier to pronounce. :)
mandolin

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 10.18.2005 1:51 am

AJBryant wrote:
And another great fallacy of textbook Japanese: NO ONE goes around saying "ogenki desu ka?" in Japan. That's an ENGLISH greeting. In Japan, if someone asks about your health, he MEANS it, and if someone says "ogenki desu ka?" to someone else, the likely response is going to be "Why, do I look sick or something?"

I agree with you here that お元気ですか is a bit too formal, and not used in general conversation. It does feel like someone is asking if I am sick. However 元気? or 元気ですか? are both completely normal greetings in Japanese.

Now that I think about it "How are you feeling?" and "How are you doing?" would be perfect translations for the two phrases, as they do well to sum up the differences. The first expresses worry about someone's health, while the second would be more of a greeting.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Infidel » Tue 10.18.2005 2:19 am

abeathon wrote:
ありがとうございます。However, I have to disagree on one or two things. ”わたしのにほんごがじょうずじゃありません。” My sensee was talking about "ga" and when to use it and said that it should be used with "wh-" questions words such as どこ、どれ、どの、et cetera.

Your sensei is absolutely correct. I notice that you did not say that your sensei said that が can only be used with question words.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby lomagu » Tue 10.18.2005 6:11 am

I thought it was 私日本語が上手じゃありません。So, is 私 ok too?
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 10.18.2005 9:57 am

両方ともOK!
Harisenbon

RE: greeting query

Postby Terry Taylor » Tue 10.18.2005 10:41 am

A point made a short while ago. If no -one says "O-genki desu ka" what do they say "Do-desu ka" maybe?.
(Apologies for the Romaji but I'm in the village library and they are unable to give me a Kana and Kanji keyboard)
:D
テリタイロー
Terry Taylor

Postby Spaztick » Tue 10.18.2005 1:08 pm

元気 or どう? seems to be interchangeable, but they do have different innotations to them.
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 10.18.2005 7:57 pm

Terry Taylor wrote:
A point made a short while ago. If no -one says "O-genki desu ka" what do they say "Do-desu ka" maybe?.
:D

The problem only lies with the fact that お元気ですか? is a bit formal, and sounds more like a doctor than a friend. 元気? or 元気なの? is usually used as a greeting. どう... I think CAN be used as a greeting, but sounds a little strange. It's really asking how someTHING is, rather than how someONE is. (I think)

for example
Greeting
A: 元気?
B: うん、元気よ!

Job
A: 仕事はどう?
B: ぼちぼちだよ。

Health
A: 風邪はどう?
B: もう治った、ありがとう!
Harisenbon

Postby coco » Wed 10.19.2005 12:26 am

lomagu wrote:
I thought it was 私日本語が上手じゃありません。So, is 私 ok too?

主語がmy Japanese になるので、「日本語は」に変わります。

日本語、 上手じゃありません。
両方とも 使うことができます。

「私の日本語は、うまく(巧く/上手く)ありません」
も同様です。
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

RE: re

Postby CajunCoder » Tue 10.25.2005 3:07 pm

abeathon wrote:
ああーごんばんは!私はアブラハムです。げんきですか。あの、わたしはBerkeleyだいがくのがくせいですそしてかんこくじんです。あなたのなまえはなんですか。あの、わたしのにほんごはわるいです。I just started Japanese a little less than two months ago so I hope some of you can help me with conversational Japanese and all of that stuff. どおぞよろしく。さよおならわたしのともだち!

こんにちは。

私はルーケ「か”Luke"?」です。 今こうこうせいです、 すぐ だいがくせいをなります。
1月に日本語をべんきょう しました。 まだじょうず じゃありません、を見れる。 でも、 日本語をべんきょうしている が たくさん すきですよ!

Im sure that was horribly said, and I used a few expressions that are probably not valid in japanese, but this is the english equivelant of what I tried to say:
"I am Luke. I'm a highschool student, but soon to be in college. For one month I've been studying japanese. I'm not skilled yet, as you can see. But, I enjoy studying japanese very much!"
Im sure I said "1月に日本語をべんきょう しました。" wrong, and I doubt the expression "as you can see" is used in japan, but hey, better to make mistakes and learn, than never to try in the first place, ね?
CajunCoder

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)