Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese Accent?

Japanese Accent?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Japanese Accent?

Postby Kumani » Tue 06.17.2008 7:26 pm

Hi guys, quick question. And I hope some understand what I'm trying to say.

For any kind of speaker trying to learn Japanese, I understand it must be hard to capture the exact tone of speaking of the language, also known as, the "accent"?

I've been told, and I can clearly hear at times because when speaking it sounds very nasal (like holding your nose)

I'm asking this because I want to know how I can capture the exact way they sound. Is there anything to it? Anything I should know?

Thanks!
Kumani

Re: Japanese Accent?

Postby Duality » Wed 06.18.2008 12:09 am

I'd like to know more about this too. I feel like my accent is lacking greatly. I have a fairly deep voice but I don't think I can do the... I don't know... 'Typical' Japanese male voice? Well, the accent they tend to have in anything on TV anyway. I hope that makes sense and doesn't sound racist or anything.
Duality

Postby Sairana » Wed 06.18.2008 2:45 am

You will establish your own voice in the language. There's no getting around it, really.

Everyone has their own preference and style, typically influenced by what you hear the most (your family, peers, etc). Just like what happened to you in English, and why you speak in whatever accent you speak in (southern, midwestern, british, australian, and on and on...).

I don't think it's possible to FORCE yourself to sound native from the outset.

However, if you're -actually- asking about the pitch accents (highs and lows), there are dictionaries that include where the accent fall is in each word. I don't remember what they are offhand, but I'm sure that someone will come along and link them.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby furrykef » Wed 06.18.2008 3:30 am

There's the NHK日本語発音アクセント辞典 (NHK Nihongo Hatsuon Akusento Jiten), but it's a paper dictionary and you'll have to order it either from amazon.co.jp (and pay expensive shipping) or from an import site (and pay a high price that'll be about the same). The way I did it was buy several things at once from amazon.co.jp to reduce the relative price of shipping, since the extra handling fee for each item is small compared to the shipping for the whole package, which doesn't change no matter how much stuff you order.

It's also entirely in Japanese, though the dictionary entries are easy enough to use and understand.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Kumani » Wed 06.18.2008 1:03 pm

Thanks for trying guys :|

and duality, good luck as well!
Kumani

Postby Duality » Wed 06.18.2008 8:44 pm

Kumani wrote:Thanks for trying guys :|

and duality, good luck as well!

Thanks! ^_^
Duality

Practice!

Postby sugarlevi » Thu 06.19.2008 12:13 pm

Trying to speak any language well, requires a lot of listening and a lot practice of speaking out loud.
I've had enormous problems when I started to study English, but listening to the language, trying to speak, and the extra lessons of speaking my teacher had me go through have nullified those problems.
sugarlevi

Postby Kumani » Thu 06.19.2008 5:17 pm

Congratulations on achieving that!
Kumani

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips