Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Driver's permit and license

Driver's permit and license

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Driver's permit and license

Postby MFoogle » Sat 06.21.2008 11:11 am

First off, how do you say both "driver's permit" and "driver's license"? I've looked it up and I can only find the words for "permit" and "license" but they both are the same word.

How old do you have to be to get your license in Japan?
MFoogle

Re: Driver's permit and license

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 06.21.2008 11:53 am

運転免許 (うんてんめんきょ) is driver's license and I believe you have to be 18. It's very expensive to get a driver's license in Japan, so you don't see teenagers or young people driving nearly as much as in the States.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 06.21.2008 5:13 pm

18 is the age for a passenger car license. The word for a learner's permit is 仮免許 (kari menkyo). The learner's permit system is very different in Japan than what it was back home in Tennessee when I got mine (early 1980s). Back then I only had an eye test and a paper test. Here, they also have a driving skills test.

Yes, you have to prove you can drive well enough to learn how to drive, but not yet well enough to drive.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby MFoogle » Sat 06.21.2008 5:56 pm

You have to take a driving and written test in the USA too. It's just changed I guess from 20-30 years ago.
MFoogle

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 06.22.2008 10:29 pm

Mike Cash wrote:The learner's permit system is very different in Japan than what it was back home in Tennessee when I got mine (early 1980s). .

Sorry for the threadjack, but...

Are you from Tennessee? I always thought you were from further south for some reason.
Where in TN? I'm a Memphian myself
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 06.23.2008 7:43 am

Harisenbon wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:The learner's permit system is very different in Japan than what it was back home in Tennessee when I got mine (early 1980s). .

Sorry for the threadjack, but...

Are you from Tennessee? I always thought you were from further south for some reason.
Where in TN? I'm a Memphian myself

Humboldt, home of the West Tennessee Strawberry Festival.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby MFoogle » Sat 07.26.2008 10:46 pm

Random immigration question:

Let's say I'm 16 and I have my full drivers license (in the USA). If I suddenly moved to Japan, would I still legally be allowed to drive, or would my USA license be nothing over there?
MFoogle

Postby AJBryant » Sun 07.27.2008 2:43 am

Try this.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby BrianM » Fri 08.01.2008 11:01 am

While on tour our guide told us some things about drivers in Japan. It takes up to 3 times for someone to pass their test, and each time you take it, the price goes up. The third time I believe was 600yen she said. Also young drivers and older drivers have certain colored stickers on their cars to alert other drivers on the road. Lastly she said there are 2 types of drivers, one that has a license but rarely drives, and the other who drives often.
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 08.03.2008 11:32 pm

BrianM wrote:While on tour our guide told us some things about drivers in Japan. It takes up to 3 times for someone to pass their test, and each time you take it, the price goes up.

Really? My wife and I both passed ours on the first try, and as far as I know the price doesn't go up from failing, you just have to take the time out of your schedule to go and do it again (and of course pay the testing fee again). Also, I *WISH* the testing fee was 600 yen. That's less than it cost me to take the bus to the testing center.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby chikara » Sun 08.03.2008 11:46 pm

Harisenbon wrote:.... I *WISH* the testing fee was 600 yen. That's less than it cost me to take the bus to the testing center.

600 yen is for the third test so the first two must be cheaper. At that rate it hardly seems worth charging at all.

The cost of a practical driving test here is ten times that much.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 08.04.2008 1:06 am

chikara wrote:
Harisenbon wrote:.... I *WISH* the testing fee was 600 yen. That's less than it cost me to take the bus to the testing center.

600 yen is for the third test so the first two must be cheaper. At that rate it hardly seems worth charging at all.

The cost of a practical driving test here is ten times that much.

Yeah, that sounded absurdly low to me too. Perhaps Brian M dropped a zero? Or meant $600 rather than ¥600?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby BrianM » Mon 08.04.2008 11:42 am

Harisenbon wrote:
BrianM wrote:While on tour our guide told us some things about drivers in Japan. It takes up to 3 times for someone to pass their test, and each time you take it, the price goes up.

Really? My wife and I both passed ours on the first try, and as far as I know the price doesn't go up from failing, you just have to take the time out of your schedule to go and do it again (and of course pay the testing fee again). Also, I *WISH* the testing fee was 600 yen. That's less than it cost me to take the bus to the testing center.

Oops, sorry lol. Still getting used to the currency, It was 60,000 yen, so it's 600 bucks.
D'oh!
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan