Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Zune V.S IPod

Zune V.S IPod

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Zune V.S IPod

Postby kanadajin » Sun 06.22.2008 10:18 am

Yes, the epic battle between the two, who will prevail?
Doesn't matter. ^^
Anyway my mp3 player recently broke and I'm currently searching for another, I have my sights on the new Microsoft Zune80.
However I hear it is only compatible (Music wise) with the software that comes along with it. So, for example if you have Itunes, or Rhapsody, or other thingies the songs you have already downloaded don't actually work on the Zune.

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me, because I don't plan to buy songs from the program I get with the Zune, and if that's the case and I must. I might as well just buy an Ipod.

Just that I rather support Microsoft than Apple (No disrespect to apple I just prefer Microsoft, so don't freak out please :))
kanadajin

Re: Zune V.S IPod

Postby Feba » Sun 06.22.2008 1:18 pm

I'm going to say that they both lose. There are simply better options out there; more storage, bigger screens, longer battery life, less evil companies, better looking, cheaper-- take your pick.
Feba

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 06.22.2008 10:35 pm

Feba wrote:I'm going to say that they both lose. There are simply better options out there; more storage, bigger screens, longer battery life, less evil companies, better looking, cheaper-- take your pick.

When you tell someone that there are better things out there, you should probably back it up with some suggestions.
Otherwise you've really not provided much of a service at all.

I personally like the newer ipods just because they're fairly cheap and simple to use. I haven't used the zune very much but its lack of market penetration (especially in Japan) speaks volumes perhaps.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby clay » Sun 06.22.2008 10:56 pm

Feba wrote:I'm going to say that they both lose. There are simply better options out there; more storage, bigger screens, longer battery life, less evil companies, better looking, cheaper-- take your pick.

I'd also take issue with the 'less evil companies.' Both Microsoft and Apple have done wonders for technology. Just think what computers would be like if Steve Jobs or Bill Gates never existed. :|

I personally love my iPhone (despite the slow Edge network (fixed with the new iPhone), sunken earphone plug (also fixed), and other minor gripes) and I use the iPod function all the time. But I haven't used the Zune or any other iPod model and I rarely listen to music, so I really can't form an opinion about the Zune or iPod.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Akiahara » Mon 06.23.2008 12:13 am

I love my Zune. I'm curious what mp3 player has a bigger screen, though. I think the newer Zunes have a smaller screen than the first run (which is what I have - the 30gb original version).

I don't know how it would do with iTunes... I would assume the two would be completely incompatible, but I've never downloaded anything from the Zune software. It all comes from... elsewhere. :lol: I have no problems putting all of it on the unit, either.

I would think that any file you've downloaded, regardless of where it came from originally, would be accessible by any program that has the capability to play it. I'm not certain here, but I think that you would only have to select the folder that your music from iTunes is in when choosing what folders to add to your Zune collection... and it shouldn't be a problem, as long as the Zune can play that format.
Akiahara

Postby clay » Mon 06.23.2008 2:15 am

You can use the files from your iTunes library, but probably not iTunes itself. I'm not sure if this is a big disadvantage for Zune. I like iTunes now that I am used to it, but it has been a little buggy and slow to respond on occasion.

Here is a post on Microsoft's miPhone. :lol:
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Mon 06.23.2008 3:03 am

Is the Zune available in any countries outside North America?

Zune hasn't been released in this country yet. Supposedly it will be this year. Can't see me rushing out to buy one as I am happy with my iPods.

Toyota, GM, Ford, BMW, Mercedes and Audi offer iPod integration in their vehicles in this country.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 06.23.2008 3:36 am

chikara wrote:Is the Zune available in any countries outside North America?

They have them in Japan, although I've never seen one outside of a store.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Hark » Mon 06.23.2008 5:19 am

Harisenbon wrote:When you tell someone that there are better things out there, you should probably back it up with some suggestions.
Otherwise you've really not provided much of a service at all.

Try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_portable_media_players . Best choice depends on your priorities. There are players that have longer battery life, supports various file formats (ogg for example), ... (although they might not be as trendy :wink: )

kanadajin wrote:So I was wondering if anyone could tell me, because I don't plan to buy songs from the program I get with the Zune, and if that's the case and I must. I might as well just buy an Ipod.

The main question is whether you bought (or can buy) songs with or without DRM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management). On that Wikipedia page I found this:
The iTunes Store, run by Apple Inc., allows users to purchase a track online for $.99 US. The tracks purchased use Apple's FairPlay DRM system. Starting on October 17, 2007, users can download DRM-free music for the same price as a file with DRM.

Files without DRM can be played by any player that supports appropriate file format (MP3 ~ every player). If you have files with DRM you might not be able to play them using player from other company (although it may also use DRM, it's format is most probably different). The wiki page comparing media players contains table of supported media formats and contains also with-DRM items. It sems, that most players are capable of playing WMA-DRM files, but AAC-DRM files (bought at Apple?) can be played only by iPOD.
I never downloaded music from internet so I can't help you any more in this way. Buying an iPOD might be the safest solution, but if you're willing to do some survey, you might find that there are other possibilities available. Either way I recommend buying non-DRM files in the future.

-------
Off-topic
clay wrote:

I'd also take issue with the 'less evil companies.' Both Microsoft and Apple have done wonders for technology. Just think what computers would be like if Steve Jobs or Bill Gates never existed. :|

One thing is what they did and other what they are doing now ;)
Hark

Native language: Slovenčina (Slovak)

Postby Feba » Mon 06.23.2008 5:55 am

Hark wrote:Try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_portable_media_players . Best choice depends on your priorities. There are players that have longer battery life, supports various file formats (ogg for example), ... (although they might not be as trendy :wink: ) [...] One thing is what they did and other what they are doing now ;)

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say, thanks.
Feba

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 06.23.2008 9:36 am

clay wrote:
I'd also take issue with the 'less evil companies.' Both Microsoft and Apple have done wonders for technology. Just think what computers would be like if Steve Jobs or Bill Gates never existed. :| .

The sad thing is that Bill Gates has become the monster he spent so much of his younger years trying to destroy. And poor Steve jobs, he's still coming in second place.. I sometimes wish that Steve could knock Bill out of the market, but it seems clear that STeve has no intention of doing that.. And as much sense as it makes to me, a combination of Gates tech advances with Steve's bullet proof tech, it just doesn't seem to be in the crosshairs of my lifetime.
two_heads_talking

Postby Akiahara » Mon 06.23.2008 2:08 pm

^^
Don't you wish they'd just combine forces?

I would think that would be quite beneficial... for us consumers, anyway.
Akiahara

Postby kanadajin » Mon 06.23.2008 2:21 pm

I don't know how it would do with iTunes... I would assume the two would be completely incompatible, but I've never downloaded anything from the Zune software. It all comes from... elsewhere. :lol: I have no problems putting all of it on the unit, either.

baha :) That's good information, thank you.

I'm going to say that they both lose. There are simply better options out there; more storage, bigger screens, longer battery life, less evil companies, better looking, cheaper-- take your pick.

I'm not quite sure there is many Mp3 players with a larger screen then the Zune.
And I'm pretty sure the Zune80 screen is bigger then the Zune30, but I'm not certain.
Microsoft may indeed be evil, however I love them :) And that's basically the only reason I
want to buy a Zune. But I'm not completely narrow-minded to the fact that there's other Mp3 companies out there and I realize you're correct because I have no doubt that there probably is better Mp3's, it's just I guess I've never actually seen any good Mp3 players other than an Ipod, and I was looking to buy one when I saw that Zune was going to be released soon, so I waited and now I'm just trying to find out if it's any good.

Just think what computers would be like if Steve Jobs or Bill Gates never existed. :|

Ha, oh lord. We'd still have those Monitors which has the computer built in, no CD drives.
But you never know, perhaps someone else would have thought of the idea,
there's really no way of telling.

Also I heard Bill Gates sold Microsoft :O I think that it's jsut a rumour because I can
find no logic in selling a company like that. I don't know his age but I don't think he's
to old, still has a long time ahead of him.

The sad thing is that Bill Gates has become the monster he spent so much of his younger years trying to destroy. And poor Steve jobs, he's still coming in second place..

That's probably the reason I have no idea who Steve Jobs is :)

---- Anyway, now that I've found out you are able to sync songs onto a Zune with, other "methods" :) I think that Zune is my final choice, and I'm almost certain I'm going today unless of course someone is able to change my mind

EDIT:
^^
Don't you wish they'd just combine forces?

I would think that would be quite beneficial... for us consumers, anyway.

That would be quite interesting. The ZunePod :). however I'm not sure that there's really anything they would accomplish by joining forces, both Mp3 players are equally good, in some areas. The only thing that is obvious to me (about the consumers dislikes) is how it's incompatible with Macs and Itunes, etc...
kanadajin

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 06.23.2008 3:47 pm

kanadajin wrote:
The sad thing is that Bill Gates has become the monster he spent so much of his younger years trying to destroy. And poor Steve jobs, he's still coming in second place..

That's probably the reason I have no idea who Steve Jobs is :) [quote]^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jobs you really should take a look here..Jobs is responsible for quite a few cutting edge tech advances..
two_heads_talking

Postby kanadajin » Mon 06.23.2008 7:10 pm

Ahh, that guy :P
Yes I'm aware of his achievements, I just didn't know his name, I was assuming it was him... Considering it was said he was in second place. Which is true, and probably will remain true for quite a while.

(Back onto the Zune topic for a second :P)
Radio Shack, A.K.A La source. Did not have my Zune :evil: nor did Zellers(just thought I would check there).
So, now I have to wait till tomorrow to go to Bayshore mall, or Rideau, whichever. And hopefully I'll be able to find one. I would have bought a 80GB Ipod instead however I was hesitant, because I really didn't want one. But to my demise there was none of those either. Only the new Nano's.
kanadajin

Next

Return to General off topic